Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dog Control protocols need review and updating

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    It would be nice when dealing with animals that standards and regulations were actually exceeded. The minimum doesn't always mean the most desirable.
    Some validity to this post. But then again when does it stop? Why not build "rooms" for each dog so feel like they are an environment that matches a living room? We can match living rooms from high end homes from Orchard Park or Amherst? Yeah... make they animals feel right at home

HERES A LITTLE TID BIT TO CHEW ON....DID YOU KNOW THAT THE NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY RUNS THROUGH LANCASTER AND NOT CLARENCE LIKE MOST PEOPLE ASSUME...MOST PEOPLE EQUATE THE CLARENCE REST STOP AS BEING IN CLARENCE....The reason I bring this up is that once upon a time the new york state police called the DCO for help on the thruway...immediately there was a question of jurisdiction...long story short, lancaster DCO is the responsible agency from Transit rd to the Alden line... In order the be able to cover any problems on the NYS Thruway, Supervisor Keysa and the town atty. came to agreement with the State Police that ALL DOG CALLS ON THE THRUWAY, WERE TO HAVE A TROOPER ON LOCATION TO INSURE THE SAFETY OF ALL TOWN EMPLOYEES...I CAN RECALL BEING CALLED ON MORE THAN A FEW OCCASIONS TO ASSIST THE STATE POLICE...DOES THE TOWN STILL HAVE THIS POLICY IN FORCE?...

Quote Originally Posted by Wehner View Post
    HERES A LITTLE TID BIT TO CHEW ON....DID YOU KNOW THAT THE NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY RUNS THROUGH LANCASTER AND NOT CLARENCE LIKE MOST PEOPLE ASSUME...MOST PEOPLE EQUATE THE CLARENCE REST STOP AS BEING IN CLARENCE....The reason I bring this up is that once upon a time the new york state police called the DCO for help on the thruway...immediately there was a question of jurisdiction...long story short, lancaster DCO is the responsible agency from Transit rd to the Alden line... In order the be able to cover any problems on the NYS Thruway, Supervisor Keysa and the town atty. came to agreement with the State Police that ALL DOG CALLS ON THE THRUWAY, WERE TO HAVE A TROOPER ON LOCATION TO INSURE THE SAFETY OF ALL TOWN EMPLOYEES...I CAN RECALL BEING CALLED ON MORE THAN A FEW OCCASIONS TO ASSIST THE STATE POLICE...DOES THE TOWN STILL HAVE THIS POLICY IN FORCE?...
    Dude....

Hard for me to wrap my arms around the improvements in the DCO dept when we can't even get a monthly report in a timely manner....looks like little effort to reform and improve dog control in the town and villages....

Why? Has there been no effort to continue the dog enumeration in the town...the last one was not completed and stalled when the temp appointment at the Town Clerks office expired....

April 30. Still no March report.....
    March report date stamped April 28.....posted with communications for May 15 TBM...I wonder how long it will take to get the April report.....how ironic that the April Town Clerk report was in the same communications package....WHY is the DCO always 30 DAYS behind?

if a simple DCO report is a problem for our local government to PRODUCE, HOW IN THE WORLD DO THEY SOLVE THE DAY TO DAY OPERATIONS OF A TOWN THE SIZE OF LANCASTER...

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    thank you deb lemaster for looking into this and spearheading the chain of command to become proactive in the care of these animals.

Matt walters, your quick response is appreciated.

Thanks lee for your reporting!

Where is wehner in this and his position since he so emphatically has claimed his excellence/skills as past dco?
    guess i was not paying attention enough.. I missed this comment...just to clarify, my phone has not rung once with town of lancaster caller id and councilman walters has not been enthusiastic to say the least when i have approached him to discuss dco issues...when i asked him for a tour of the new facility he told me he didn't have a key...and by the way...i do have a lot to offer concerning dog control...and my advice is free to take any way you wish...what possible good can come from keeping your head in the sand!!!

if a simple DCO report is a problem for our local government to PRODUCE, HOW IN THE WORLD DO THEY SOLVE THE DAY TO DAY OPERATIONS OF A TOWN THE SIZE OF LANCASTER...
    I don't think you're going to see that issue (lack of DCO report in a timely manner) with the hiring of the new head DCO on June 23rd.

She had her one week June report in on July 3rd.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I don't think you're going to see that issue (lack of DCO report in a timely manner) with the hiring of the new head DCO on June 23rd.

She had her one week June report in on July 3rd.
    The new DCO has an obligation to prepare a complete report for June...of course she has the option to separate the report ...all the records should be in front of her...NYS Ag & Mkts require it...

guess i was not paying attention enough.. I missed this comment...just to clarify, my phone has not rung once with town of lancaster caller id and councilman walters has not been enthusiastic to say the least when i have approached him to discuss dco issues...when i asked him for a tour of the new facility he told me he didn't have a key...and by the way...i do have a lot to offer concerning dog control...and my advice is free to take any way you wish...what possible good can come from keeping your head in the sand!!!
    Mike, as a former head DCO officer, and one that I believe has the best interests of the department in mind, I am sorry to have to agree with you that you have not been paying enough attention to what’s taking place at the DCO – on the Speakup forum, from not attending recent town board meetings or listening to the recent meeting recording Gorga put on Speakup.

If you listen to the recording you will hear voice some concerns on how the DCO has been managed and questions on the new direction the DCO department is taking.

At Monday evening’s meeting per request of newly appointed department head Dog Control Officer Jean Karn Daniel P. McFarland was hired as part-time permanent position(s) in the Town of Lancaster Dog Control Department. As Gorga posted, Karn was hired on June 24, 2017, is training under the auspices of NYS Ag & Mkts and the DCO departments of the Towns of Cheektowaga and Clarence. In turn, she will be training her fellow DCOS.

Karn is also ensuring that the department is well equipped to meet the needs of capturing an animal in the safest way possible to man and animal.

Last summer the town erected four kennels that are both heated for the cold months and air conditioned for the hot months and is looking to erect a walking station. The dogs are being fed daily and the waste picked up regularly and disposed of by sanitary sewer system; not a waste container. The dogs are treated humanly.

Keep in mind that three DCOS have been replaced in the past month – two for missing calls and one for inept administration. This is a work in progress, Mike. To get to a point where the town needs to be to meet administrative and legal standards while attempting to be fiscally responsible is not an overnight task.
    The one thing I have already ascertained is that Mrs. Karn will be well qualified to meet her obligations as head DCO – with administrative authority to hire staff, hold them accountable, and let them go if she sees fit. She will also be held accountable for the operation of the department; and yes Mike, obligated to put out a timely monthly report.

This department has been ill managed for a long time – as far back and including the last full time DCO head. I like what I have seen taking place and hearing where this department is going. Matt Walter and Mrs. Karn have put in a lot of time and effort to turn this department around and are deserving of a chance to make it happen.

Lastly, Mike, perhaps Councilman Walter has been avoiding you because he gets enough grief from Debbie Lemaster and me.

I am not convinced...the foot dragging political games played by the Town board has turned what should have been a six month transition into a marathon that still has no end...and of course at dog owners and tax payers expense...I see disfunction everywhere...no checks and balances,no leadership and basic knowledge of what is required to run a DCO office professionally..

I am not convinced...the foot dragging political games played by the Town board has turned what should have been a six month transition into a marathon that still has no end...and of course at dog owners and tax payers expense...I see disfunction everywhere...no checks and balances,no leadership and basic knowledge of what is required to run a DCO office professionally..
    I have to admit that I had thought Fudoli's original idea was a good one that would save taxpayer money. In hindsight, I was wrong. it did save money but did little to run the department successfully

So, this transition has only been a little over a month. Putting someone in charge in a leadership role in the dog control department who is working many hours is a step in the right direction who has been and will continue to be trained regarding the requirements of running a professional DCO office. Again, it is in its infancy stage. Please, give it a chance to grow.

Georgia L Schlager

Town of Lancaster Dog control now has a Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/Town-of-Lan...4934443922588/

Georgia L Schlager

Town of Lancaster Dog Control
    3 hrs ·
    **LANCASTER D.C.O. MONTHLY REPORT**
    Town of Lancaster Dog Control in the month of July:
    - Received 185 calls or complaints
    - We seized 14 strays
    - Dog Control Officers reunited 13 of the 14 strays with their owners
    - Officers followed up on 68 delinquent licenses

https://www.facebook.com/LancasterDo...D3FuL4&fref=nf

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Town of Lancaster Dog Control
    3 hrs ·
    **LANCASTER D.C.O. MONTHLY REPORT**
    Town of Lancaster Dog Control in the month of July:
    - Received 185 calls or complaints
    - We seized 14 strays
    - Dog Control Officers reunited 13 of the 14 strays with their owners
    - Officers followed up on 68 delinquent licenses

https://www.facebook.com/LancasterDo...D3FuL4&fref=nf
    As I don’t have a Facebook account, I appreciate the post.

Hopefully, Mrs. Karn will be as diligent and committed to putting out a detailed report to satisfy some who seem to be more interested in the stats than in the ways the Dog Control Department has been improved regarding the handling of dogs, their custody/care and attempt to find homes for strays and dogs that owners no longer want and dispose of them on the streets.

Hey, Mrs. Karn:

Nice timely, detailed DCO report for the month of July (communications). That should some people happy.

Gives Councilman Walter credibility that the changes recently make in the DCO department included the obligatory submission of such a report.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information