Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Control protocols need review and updating

Job posting on Town website

Part-Time Dog Control Officer

This position is an on-call position with flexible scheduling. Compensation is $50.00 for each 24-hour period, pro-rated for any portion thereof, that an individual is on on-call status. Applicants must be high school graduates and possess a valid New York State driver’s license. No prior experience of dog control is required.

Currently seeking candidates who are available during the 7 a.m.to 7 p.m. shift and/or the 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. shift approximately 2 to 3 days a week.

Preference will be given to applicants residing in the Town of Lancaster.

Georgia L Schlager

I wish my work schedule allowed me to do that

Thumbs up Tell Johana to give me a call - no problem !

It's amazing to me in a Town full of nice people we can't fix this situation ! Uses volunteers to man the shelter - they would hang out and keep the place clean and help entertain the guests.

- A couple - maybe three part-time employees to cover animal calls. Root all the calls through the police dispatch(not the 911 number just a normal line) - they can decide if capture or intervention is needed. If its needed then you call in the person scheduled for that time period.

- Another way to do it would be to have two people in the highway or parks department trained as dog catchers. As with above - let the police decide if intervention is needed - and call in one of the catchers/handlers.

- Tell Supervisor Mrs Coleman to give me a call (same old phone number - I'm in the book) - quite sure we can work it out. Or give Mr Whiner his free lunch ticket back and maybe he'l quit whining !

Problem solved - always willing to help !

Your welcome !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Job posting on Town website

Part-Time Dog Control Officer

This position is an on-call position with flexible scheduling. Compensation is $50.00 for each 24-hour period, pro-rated for any portion thereof, that an individual is on on-call status. Applicants must be high school graduates and possess a valid New York State driver’s license. No prior experience of dog control is required.

Currently seeking candidates who are available during the 7 a.m.to 7 p.m. shift and/or the 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. shift approximately 2 to 3 days a week.

Preference will be given to applicants residing in the Town of Lancaster.

Still confused on how the town staffs and runs this operation when:

• There are 168 hours in a week

• I was told at the last town board meeting that there were 6 part time DCOS

• Part time help is limited to working 19 hours a week and with rare exception are allowed to work more hours

• 6 x 19 = 114 hours. How is the difference made up (54 hours) ?

• A DCO is supposed to visit the kennel(s) once a shift to clean and maintain the kennel(s) and feed the dog(s)

• It appears feedback given to the town board on the necessity of a new hire have some experience in handling dogs went nowhere as the hiring requirements still only call for a high school education and a vehicle; not even any past experience in owning a dog or having some knowledge of animal behavior. I guess former councilmember Mark Aquino was right when he said, “this is not rocket science; anyone can do it.” Well, we just had a DCO get bit (not wearing proper/required equipment) and a dog that was considered ‘overly aggressive’ and sentenced to be euthanized, but wound up going to a rescue center for adoption.

More questions for the board this coming Monday.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    • Part time help is limited to working 19 hours a week and with rare exception are allowed to work more hours
    Yet, they are seeking candidates that can work 2-3 (12 hour shifts) per week. Is that because it's an on-call position?

Another confusing part is "Compensation is $50.00 for each 24-hour period, pro-rated for any portion thereof, that an individual is on on-call status."

Does that mean $25 for a 12-hour on-call shift?

Georgia L Schlager

I myself have had dogs and cats all my life. That being said, I am not qualified to handle an aggressive dog. I realize there is training involved but an applicant should at the very least own a dog of their own and have some type of dog handling experience. What happens when you get a call regarding a dog fight? Are our DCO Officers fully trained to handle this type of situation? I would also like to see the actual job description for our "on call officers". How many times during their shift are they responsible to check on, clean stalls and feed sheltered dogs?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why not see what the job requirements if you want to work at the Erie County SPCA?

Learn from people who are successful.

Originally posted by DebLemaster:
    I would also like to see the actual job description for our "on call officers". How many times during their shift are they responsible to check on, clean stalls and feed sheltered dogs?
    I agree. There should be some kind of task sign-off board

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    It's amazing to me in a Town full of nice people we can't fix this situation ! Uses volunteers to man the shelter - they would hang out and keep the place clean and help entertain the guests.

- A couple - maybe three part-time employees to cover animal calls. Root all the calls through the police dispatch(not the 911 number just a normal line) - they can decide if capture or intervention is needed. If its needed then you call in the person scheduled for that time period.

- Another way to do it would be to have two people in the highway or parks department trained as dog catchers. As with above - let the police decide if intervention is needed - and call in one of the catchers/handlers.

- Tell Supervisor Mrs Coleman to give me a call (same old phone number - I'm in the book) - quite sure we can work it out. Or give Mr Whiner his free lunch ticket back and maybe he'l quit whining !

Problem solved - always willing to help !

Your welcome !
    We had a name for people like you in my youth....BULLY...BLA...BLA...BLA....Grow up rickie!!!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    4248 has valid points.

People who volunteer for the dog rescue groups are very dedicated to their tasks.

Start thinking out of box. The box Erie County and some local towns are in is detrimental to us property owners when it comes to cost of living.

Money doesn't grow on trees and the property owner should not be considered a never ending source of increasing revenue. I know this entitlement mentality is ingrained with some groups of people but it needs to end.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Some research may be in order. Are there awards given to dog shelters that exhibit good practices? How do other towns across the USA handle their dog pounds. Maybe more towns rely on animal rescue groups versus funding a group of politically connected friends/relatives to run their shelters.

Deblemaster. I hoped you were going to call me.

From the pre-filed resolutions for the upcoming organization meeting, it looks like they're going to have the current part-time employee oversee the department including scheduling, supervising the on-call DCOs, kennel maintenance, purchasing of supplies and dog assessments, etc at $24,000 (no more than 19.75 hours per week).

The 5 on-call DCOs will be compensated at $10 per hour for the greater of 4 hours or the actual number of hours worked.

Hopefully, this will be a remedy to correct some of the past issues

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    From the pre-filed resolutions for the upcoming organization meeting, it looks like they're going to have the current part-time employee oversee the department including scheduling, supervising the on-call DCOs, kennel maintenance, purchasing of supplies and dog assessments, etc at $24,000 (no more than 19.75 hours per week).

The 5 on-call DCOs will be compensated at $10 per hour for the greater of 4 hours or the actual number of hours worked.

Hopefully, this will be a remedy to correct some of the past issues
    It's a start...sure hope that this small move is only the begining of a truly professional dog control service for the resident of the town of Lancaster...OH I almost forgot...I haven't seen the Nov. 2016 DCO monthly report. I emailed town hall, still no report....

Quote Originally Posted by Wehner View Post
    It's a start...sure hope that this small move is only the begining of a truly professional dog control service for the resident of the town of Lancaster...OH I almost forgot...I haven't seen the Nov. 2016 DCO monthly report. I emailed town hall, still no report....
    You should've called! I'm happy to get them for you. I am currently at work now but will look them up when I get home and post them later. I believe I reported the November numbers last month at a town board meeting but I don't recall them off the top of my head.

As for the reorg, I agree that it's a start, and a good one at that. I believe this will steer the DCO in a better direction but we will continue to make improvements as needed to ensure the dogs we pick up get the best care possible before they are returned to their owners and strays don't wander our streets. This new arrangement will also allow for more diligent patrols of local parks and ensuring lapsed licenses are renewed quickly.

Matthew J Walter
    Lancaster Town Councilman

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information