Thread: Cryptic Emergency Detour Signs

Cryptic Emergency Detour Signs

I'm seeing these mysterious "Emergency Detour" signs popping up. "Emergency Detour F". "Emergency Detour E". What's that all about? Is something up?

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...utes/78677122/

Have you been wondering what the new signs appearing along local roadways that read "Emergency Detour F" or "Emergency Detour E" mean to you and why they're being installed?

Well, wonder no more.

The New York state Thruway Authority has been installing the signs as part of an initiative to let motorists know how to get around the Thruway in the event of road closures due to extreme weather or other emergency situations.

The detours, which offer routes to bypass the entire Thruway system, divert traffic back onto state and local roadways and were developed in conjunction with state and local partners, according to the Thruway Authority.

Signs designating the detours were installed recently in the greater Rochester area, as well as in the Syracuse and Buffalo regions.

"Our goal is to quickly direct traffic to an alternate route when road conditions necessitate it," said Shane Mahar, agency spokesman.

Detour Route E bypasses the Thruway from Exit 45 at Rochester/Victor to Interstate 490 to Exit 51, Buffalo-Route 33-Airport. For westbound traffic, the route diverts drivers from the Thruway to Interstate 490 west, to Route 33 west in Bergen, Genesee County, and from there to Route 5 west, Route 77 south, Route 33 west again and back to the Thruway at Exit 51. Detour Route F is the same route, but in reverse order headed eastbound.

The Thruway Authority didn't mention any particular incident leading to creation of the new detour routes, but in November 2014 during significant storms near Buffalo hundreds of motorists were stranded when a 132-mile stretch of the highway was closed.

Georgia L Schlager

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...utes/78677122/

Have you been wondering what the new signs appearing along local roadways that read "Emergency Detour F" or "Emergency Detour E" mean to you and why they're being installed?

Well, wonder no more.

The New York state Thruway Authority has been installing the signs as part of an initiative to let motorists know how to get around the Thruway in the event of road closures due to extreme weather or other emergency situations.

The detours, which offer routes to bypass the entire Thruway system, divert traffic back onto state and local roadways and were developed in conjunction with state and local partners, according to the Thruway Authority.

Signs designating the detours were installed recently in the greater Rochester area, as well as in the Syracuse and Buffalo regions.

"Our goal is to quickly direct traffic to an alternate route when road conditions necessitate it," said Shane Mahar, agency spokesman.

Detour Route E bypasses the Thruway from Exit 45 at Rochester/Victor to Interstate 490 to Exit 51, Buffalo-Route 33-Airport. For westbound traffic, the route diverts drivers from the Thruway to Interstate 490 west, to Route 33 west in Bergen, Genesee County, and from there to Route 5 west, Route 77 south, Route 33 west again and back to the Thruway at Exit 51. Detour Route F is the same route, but in reverse order headed eastbound.

The Thruway Authority didn't mention any particular incident leading to creation of the new detour routes, but in November 2014 during significant storms near Buffalo hundreds of motorists were stranded when a 132-mile stretch of the highway was closed.
    I'm not buying it. I think something's up.

Well, it could be pretext for something else but I think gorja is right. It's in connection with the barricades they can drop to prevent entry into the thruway when it snows. Don't forget...2014 was the first time in American history that people were stranded on a highway in the snow! The media, particularly the red asses at Ch 2 made this into a 24/7 story until they bulldogged the state into taking these idiotic steps.

They have them in other states, as well.
    From google-
    A permanently signed detour route (also known as an emergency detour route or emergency diversion route) is a type of route which is used temporarily during special circumstances. Various areas have developed these systems as part of incident management.

It could be for any kind of incident, weather, bombing, etc

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    They have them in other states, as well.
    From google-
    A permanently signed detour route (also known as an emergency detour route or emergency diversion route) is a type of route which is used temporarily during special circumstances. Various areas have developed these systems as part of incident management.

It could be for any kind of incident, weather, bombing, etc
    The cryptic nature of the signs concerns me. Why can't they be explicit. It sounds secretive and mysterious. I think it is in anticipation for a massive attack. They know something they are not telling us.

several years ago i asked the county emergency department for a map showing evacuation routes in case of a disaster. i was told the routes are kept secret so that the terrorists can't block them. when i asked how would residents know where the evacuation routes were if the terrorists disrupted phone, tv, radio and internet communication i was told "they won't be able to do that" - i kid you not.

And you never know when it might snow!

Thread Information