Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Depew dissolution

It's a shame that there will people who blindly believe the BS scare tactics from the biased NYCOM meetings.
    Sure the village debt will fall on the residents of the former village. It falls on them now. The village may be reduced by the sale of assets.

It's sad that CGR (Center for Government Research) wasn't hired to a study that would have been unbiased

Georgia L Schlager

Taxes in Depew are some of the highest taxes in Western New York. Village growth is generally stagnant and its infrastructure continues to age. The politicians in Depew have paid for ever increasing cost of village government by contininually raising taxes, raising fees and, increasing village debt. There is no strategic long range plan.

Since 2003,
    Spending has gone up by about $5 million to $14.53 million
    Tax levy has gone from $4.9 million to $9.14 million, an 86% increase
    Fees to its residents and business have continued to rise and expand
    Village debt has gone from $1.87 million to $8.24 million, a 440% increase.

WSFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    It's a shame that there will people who blindly believe the BS scare tactics from the biased NYCOM meetings.
    Sure the village debt will fall on the residents of the former village. It falls on them now. The village may be reduced by the sale of assets.

It's sad that CGR (Center for Government Research) wasn't hired to a study that would have been unbiased
    But by dissolving, the village debt doesn't keep growing. You can sell the ice rink, equipment, etc. that will pay down the debt. It's very simply, those that want to keep the village are protecting their cushy jobs and don't want to face the same reality of everyone else in NY of being laid off and not finding another job.

Quote Originally Posted by WSFirst View Post
    But by dissolving, the village debt doesn't keep growing. You can sell the ice rink, equipment, etc. that will pay down the debt. It's very simply, those that want to keep the village are protecting their cushy jobs and don't want to face the same reality of everyone else in NY of being laid off and not finding another job.
    I totally agree.
    When I wrote this
    Sure the village debt will fall on the residents of the former village. It falls on them now. The village may be reduced by the sale of assets
    . , I forgot a word 'DEBT'
    The village DEBT may be reduced by the sale of assets

Georgia L Schlager

So, no matter what town the residents end up in, be it Cheektowaga or Lancaster, they will have to pay off their portion of Depew's debt?

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    So, no matter what town the residents end up in, be it Cheektowaga or Lancaster, they will have to pay off their portion of Depew's debt?
    That's the way I understand it but I've been wrong many times before.

Here's something from an old Bee article
    2. Does the village of Sloan have any debt? If so, what assets will be sold to pay off that debt?

The current 2010-2011 budget for the Village of Sloan notes that there is a debt of $125,000 to be paid during the period from 2010 – 2022. This debt was incurred for the purchase of a fire truck for the Sloan Fire Department and highway equipment for the Department of Public Works. Compared to other municipalities, this is minimal, which means the Village is fiscally sound. The decision for the selling of Village assets becomes determined as part of the dissolution plan which is developed by the dissolution committee. The law is clear; any debt of the Village of Sloan is not accepted by the Town as part of the dissolution plan and remains a direct tax to village residents only through a special district tax.

http://www.cheektowagabee.com/news/2...OLUTION__.html

Georgia L Schlager

WSFirst
    Yes, the property owners will need to pay off the debt but they're already paying that now. By dissolving, you're cutting up the "credit card" and no longer swiping. You can sell the ice rink, auction off a lot of equipment to the highest bidder to pay down the debt. The salaries, etc will no longer be an line item, you can pay off the debt quicker.

If people really think they're not saving money, they're being fooled. The salaries that I posted become legacy costs that could go on for years. Now if don't plan on living in Depew forever, selling your property will become harder and harder if the property taxes continue to increase.

Depew voting on dissolution is 12 to 9 pm on Jan. 17 at Senior Center in Village Hall, 85 Manitou St.

Georgia L Schlager

From Buffalo News:
    Lancaster Councilman Matt Walter, who attended the Village Board meeting, agreed afterward that it is a tough situation. "This isn't something we can point to 10 other villages. It doesn't happen that often," Walter said, noting that Lancaster would likely have to establish a special tax district if the dissolution became reality. "At the end of the day, I do not envy the village. They need to vote with their minds and not their hearts."

The Village can ALWAYS remain in our hearts but my mind says "money talks" and with duplicate services mine says "goodbye".

Personally, I don't care how the vote comes out. My understanding is that the dissolution law pushed through by Il Douche is pretty much written bass ackward and is a nightmare to implement. It sounds like the remark about Obamacare made by the retard Nancy Pelosi: "We have to pass it to see what's in it." You have to vote to eliminate the village in order to begin the study process to see what will happen when you dissolve. My guess is that Lancaster & Cheektowaga will create special districts in their towns, covering the former village, and the folks in the districts will bear the costs of dissolution. Just beware that once the costs of dissolution are paid that the taxing district goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Personally, I don't care how the vote comes out. My understanding is that the dissolution law pushed through by Il Douche is pretty much written bass ackward and is a nightmare to implement. It sounds like the remark about Obamacare made by the retard Nancy Pelosi: "We have to pass it to see what's in it." You have to vote to eliminate the village in order to begin the study process to see what will happen when you dissolve. My guess is that Lancaster & Cheektowaga will create special districts in their towns, covering the former village, and the folks in the districts will bear the costs of dissolution. Just beware that once the costs of dissolution are paid that the taxing district goes away!
    He wrote it that way because that's the way the process has go based on state law. so you can blame that on whoever in NYS wrote that law some time ago.

Disolution is the only solution that wil not increase your taxes substanstially, Once the debt is paid off which will be faster then is currently happening due to not having to pay for all those political jobs nd selling of village assets = money saved and put towards the debt instead.

Once that debt is paid off that line will disappear off you tax bill. With the result being a lower tax bill. Common says this is how it should work.

But will it? will the Lancaster and Cheektowaga do it this way?

Cheektowaga supervisor already said she is looking into the dissoulution already.

That's nonsense. What he wrote became state law and he could've amended the then-existing law as part of the process. He wrote it screwed up for the same reason he wrote the Safe Act screwed up, the same sex marriage law screwed up, the no fault divorce law screwed up,...because he's a corrupt f*uck up.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    That's nonsense. What he wrote became state law and he could've amended the then-existing law as part of the process. He wrote it screwed up for the same reason he wrote the Safe Act screwed up, the same sex marriage law screwed up, the no fault divorce law screwed up,...because he's a corrupt f*uck up.
    You were referring to Cuomo? I agree.

I was referring to the Depew resident who actually wrote the petition and circulated it.

Yes, Cuomo. Don't even know who wrote petition or who is carrying it.

Yepper. They'll have a special assessment on their taxes to pay off the debt for the village water system or whatever. The claims by advocates of 30% tax savings stemming from dissolving a village generally tend to be exaggerations as they don't count "special assessments" which are used to pay off village debts, as "taxes".

Furthermore, if the village now provides sidewalks and/or street lighting or public water or sewer to residents while the people living outside the village don't get those, then the village residents will also have to pay for maintenance and replacement for those as well. The same if the village has municipal garbage pick-up while the town(s) don't. Usually these are called municipal services districts and are run by appointed boards.

In populous towns like Amherst or Cheektowaga where there's already lots of infrastructure, independent villages are probably redundant since almost everybody has public water and sewer, some kind of municipal garbage pick-up, local police, etc. In more rural areas, the villages are the only places that those services are available, and the savings of replacing a village with a municipal services district is miniscule.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information