Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lancaster may seek part-time recreation director

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka View Post
    Hiring practices by Lancaster town board and Lancaster central school district are not based on qualifications . A family and friends relationship is the only requirement. The controlling political party must create good paying jobs to continue the family and friends tree of hiring . This is Lancaster,this is how we taxpayers must live .
    little kevin only knows how to eat by being spoon fed.

According to the Lancaster Bee:

Lancaster Councilman Ronald Ruffino put forth a resolution at Tuesday night’s meeting of the Town Board to formally investigate its options to begin the process of appointing a part-time temporary recreation director.

Ruffino said there have been complaints lodged about the department and that he believes adding the position could alleviate some of those issues. The councilman said actions such as these need to be taken when “you start seeing any type of slippage in services.”

Following the meeting, Ruffino noted that the resolution had not been removed because he doubted the competence of Kelleher, but rather that the town needed to explore more options before making an appointment.

Until a resolution is submitted and approved by the board, and unless Mr. Ruffino (resolution sponsor) clearly defines the contents and need for this hiring, he deserves some slack. For whatever reason causing him to withdraw the initial resolution to do further study and consider ‘options’, he did so.

He will receive enough grief should this hiring smack of patronage and/or be considered one of non necessity because of current staffing poor performance and lack of management leadership in addressing the reasons for the diminishment in services

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    If there are "residents" complaining - then Councilmember Ruffino should include copies of those complaints. The complaints had to have come through Town Hall or one of the other Dept - dont they keep records. If the are phone calls and then simeone messaged Councilman Ruffino - there should be records.
    It ridiculous to recreate this position just so a loyal Party Player can have a tax-funded pension and tax funded benefits.

But this is Lancaster and its just Dem Business as usual.
    The resolution that was pulled stated -
    these being part-time position(s), provide no health insurance, sick days, vacations, or other fringe benefits not specifically mandated for part-time temporary employees
    But. . . then you would wonder what would happen after December 1, 2016. Why was the Dec 1st date used as the end of the temporary position?

Georgia L Schlager

Was at Keysa today....pool lessons seemed full. Looked like a couple playground people, I am guessing, were entertaining the kids. Park looked good, some guys were working on the ball diamond, skate park was active. Didn't see any issues. Someone must be doing something right...

Quote Originally Posted by metal god View Post
    Was at Keysa today....pool lessons seemed full. Looked like a couple playground people, I am guessing, were entertaining the kids. Park looked good, some guys were working on the ball diamond, skate park was active. Didn't see any issues. Someone must be doing something right...
    Ah, really you must be an employee there.

So let's talk about Westwood-looks pretty bad. The picnic tables are in deplorable shape. Railings crossings, need painting and securing, tar pathways over the bridge one spot has a hole that can cause an injury, garbage everywhere. But what we do see is the summer teenagers riding in the town gulf cart and having a splendid time - three teenagers were on the cart yesterday riding all over the place. What were they doing? Having fun and NOT working. What is going on at the park that we see so little attention to the maintenance.

Can't speak for Westwood as my kids use the pool for lessons at Keysa Park...hope Westwood gets it's needed repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by metal god View Post
    Can't speak for Westwood as my kids use the pool for lessons at Keysa Park...hope Westwood gets it's needed repairs.
    Drove through Westwood Park this morning and honestly thought the Park was in good shape – especially considering the drought-like conditions and lack of green.

Do not visit the park anywhere near as often as in the past, but remember times when the park was in worse condition.

The shelter soffits need painting and a few benches need repair (taking abuse from kids beating on them). The park was clean and orderly.

Then again, I always enjoyed being at the park except when attending sporting or other activities when those damn airplanes were flying overhead or nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Ah, really you must be an employee there.

So let's talk about Westwood-looks pretty bad. The picnic tables are in deplorable shape. Railings crossings, need painting and securing, tar pathways over the bridge one spot has a hole that can cause an injury, garbage everywhere. But what we do see is the summer teenagers riding in the town gulf cart and having a splendid time - three teenagers were on the cart yesterday riding all over the place. What were they doing? Having fun and NOT working. What is going on at the park that we see so little attention to the maintenance.
    Two days ago as I walked the park, the areas of concern like the picnic tables were being addressed. I noticed the town trucks bringing in boards and replacing them. It does make a difference when residents complain. Did they read our posts? I do know that the town has received numerous complaints.

Now here is the only thing that still is not addressed-the garbage strewn all over the entire park. As I was walking on the trails, I noticed an elderly man with a garbage grabber and he was picking up all the garbage and putting it into a plastic bag. So as curious as I am, I approached the gentlemen and asked if he was a town worker. His response was NO. I asked what he was doing then, was he a volunteer. He said NO. His told me that he comes to the park everyday and could not stand it any longer and decided to do something about it. He was picking up all the garbage in the park. REALLY???!!!!! Where are the workers whom we pay well huh? No one was at the park (the town workers).

Just an update....

It looks like Kelleher is back up for the position again. As 'Head of school' at St Mary's when does he plan on performing the duties of a PT recreation director @ $18 per hour?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    It looks like Kelleher is back up for the position again. As 'Head of school' at St Mary's when does he plan on performing the duties of a PT recreation director @ $18 per hour?
    This could be the most egregious and defiant act by the town board in recent memory. There is no rational justification for this action. Shame on anyone who votes in favor of this.

And again, it was one of those jobs that apparently doesn't have to be posted for outsiders to apply

Georgia L Schlager

Wow, that job is posted now.

Part-time Recreation Director
    The Town of Lancaster is seeking applications for a part-time Recreation Director. The position will be for 19 hours per week with no benefits. The rate of pay will be $18.00 per hour. Applicants must be a resident of the Town of Lancaster.
    It would be a nice job to supplement someone's Social Security.

Other job postings-
    Town of Lancaster Seeking Summer Playground Supervisor

The Town of Lancaster Parks Recreation & Forestry Department is seeking a summer playground supervisor. Duties will include overseeing the playground attendants, supervising field trips and tournaments as well as paperwork for the summer season. The job will begin in late May and run until the end of August at a pay rate of $12 per hour. Interested applicants may send a resume to the Town of Lancaster Parks & Recreation office attention Mark Lubera.

Part-time Piano Teacher

The Town of Lancaster is hiring a part-time piano teacher for the Senior Center. This position will be 5 to 6 hours per week. Please submit your application to the Senior Center, 100 Oxford Avenue.

The Town of Lancaster is Seeking Tutors
    Tutors

The Youth Bureau is hiring tutors for their After School Tutorial Program. They are in need of elementary tutors for math and reading and math tutors for high school and middle school students. There is a demand for math tutors for grades 4-6, 7-8, along with 9-12. Certified teachers or education majors in college can contact the Lancaster Youth Bureau for additional information at 683-4444.

Please submit resumes to the Town of Lancaster Parks, Recreation & Forestry Department, 525 Pavement Road, Lancaster, NY, 14086. Any questions regarding this position can be answered by calling our office at 684-3320.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information