Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Outdated 911 system" blamed for death of 3 in Cheektowaga

"Outdated 911 system" blamed for death of 3 in Cheektowaga

Cheektowaga police probe fire that killed three
    December 25, 2009

The cause of a fire in a Cheektowaga home that killed three people early Wednesday remains under investigation, a Cheektowaga police official said Thursday night.

Found in their home at 303 Hyland Road home, near Buffalo Niagara International Airport, were fire victims Mohammad Ansari, 60; Faaiza Ansari, 25; and Saaiba Ansari, 22.

A woman screaming for help from the fire called 911 on her cell phone, but an outdated local 911 system led to a 15-minute gap before police responded to the fire that killed three people. No one knows whether a quicker response time could have saved their lives.

Authorities on Wednesday said they believe that Mohammad was the father of the two young women. Faaiza Ansari was a University at Buffalo medical student, while her sister was a UB undergraduate majoring in mechanical engineering

Take a look at your monthly cellular or landline bill. Between the two of them, I pay $1.20 for a 9-1-1 Service fee, $.30 for a Local Wireless 911 Surcharge, and $.35 for another 911 surcharge. Add it up, and multiply by the MILLIONS of telephone users across the state.

Where does the cash go?

How could any 911 service be "outdated" when millions of dollars are being paid to keep the system operating?

This is bullcrap of the highest magnitude.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLV View Post

This is bullcrap of the highest magnitude.
    You got that right. All that money poured into the system you would think that some training would have been done. All that money for ... what?
    and
    Didn't the call get trandferred 3 times before it finally went to the proper place? Perhaps it's that government worker mind set of "It's not my job" "I don't get paid enough to ..." that lead to the delay and passing the buck of who should have taken the call.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    We were just talking about this. WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING. IT'S million and millions with NOTHING to really show for it.

Question fp2206

Hopefully soon this 911 problem with cell phones will be corrected. Till then remember if using a cell phone for a 911 call first give your address and locality you reside in. Such a horrible tragedy.

For all 911 calls

Quote Originally Posted by fp2206 View Post
    Hopefully soon this 911 problem with cell phones will be corrected. Till then remember if using a cell phone for a 911 call first give your address and locality you reside in. Such a horrible tragedy.
    This is good advice but should give your city and street address for all land line and cell 911 calls.
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

Now ask yourself - should you have a means of self-protection in your home to protect yourself and your family from an intruder - or are you willing to rely on the 911 system and law enforcement to save you?

People should find out the phone number of their local police dept.'s emergency line and save it in their cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by pilot56 View Post
    People should find out the phone number of their local police dept.'s emergency line and save it in their cell phone.
    I called our local police dept once because it wasn't an emergency, per say. (As a nurse, an emergency is the threat of loss of life, limb or eye ball.) They told me to call 911.

I have been paying .90 a month for 5 years on my cell phone bill for 911 service...WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING?
    Whom do we demand answers from?
    I want my $54 back!
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Unregistered
    those fees on cell phones go towards homeland security, i was told.

the fire was tragic, what isn't being said is that 911 can trace a call in minutes from a landline, but because cell phones are "mobile" it's harder to trace the call without finding which cellular tower calls are from, esp when the caller doesn't give clear information of what the emergency is or where in erie county. the 911 system isn't outdated, calls just can't be traced as quickly bouncing off a satelite.

Quote Originally Posted by bflo_resident1 View Post
    those fees on cell phones go towards homeland security, i was told.

the fire was tragic, what isn't being said is that 911 can trace a call in minutes from a landline, but because cell phones are "mobile" it's harder to trace the call without finding which cellular tower calls are from, esp when the caller doesn't give clear information of what the emergency is or where in erie county. the 911 system isn't outdated, calls just can't be traced as quickly bouncing off a satelite.
    bull everything can be traced for a fee ...
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
    bull everything can be traced for a fee ...
    time is different between tracing a landline with a cell phone no matter what fee is charged to either phone bill.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    I called our local police dept once because it wasn't an emergency, per say. (As a nurse, an emergency is the threat of loss of life, limb or eye ball.) They told me to call 911.
    You have to be sure that you are calling the 911 dispatch centers 7-digit number. If you got a hold of some office or phone in the basement somewhere the cop who answers wont be able to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Now ask yourself - should you have a means of self-protection in your home to protect yourself and your family from an intruder - or are you willing to rely on the 911 system and law enforcement to save you?
    Exactly. People should have a chioce in the services they wish to pay for, including fire insurance. I know my house wont burn down or flood.

Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    You have to be sure that you are calling the 911 dispatch centers 7-digit number. If you got a hold of some office or phone in the basement somewhere the cop who answers wont be able to help you.
    I called the police station. They answered as such and told me to call 911.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information