Thread: Sabres draft

Sabres draft

Any thoughts on the Sabes draft? All the talk about needing D and Murray goes heavy on forwards. Trading Pysyk? I guess it drove the analytics guys nuts. Only saw a few minutes of the draft but some talking head on NBCSN that analytics can't measure heart and courage.

I'm surprised they didn't take a goalie since our goaltending is so weak. The trade was a good one and they're hot on the trail of Stamkos
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    I'm surprised they didn't take a goalie since our goaltending is so weak. The trade was a good one and they're hot on the trail of Stamkos
    I am in the hell no to Stamkos camp. I really hope they pass on him.

Why?? other than the money?
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    Why?? other than the money?
    I don't think he is the same player that was 2009-12. I don't think he is the same since he broke his leg and that was before the blood clot issue. It's also been said that he only want to play Center, and that would mean either Eichel or ROR would need a position move or a team move. Don't like either of those options.

If he joined the Sabres he would instantly become the face of the team due to his contract and I think team would be better served if they took that same amount of money and picked up high end scoring winger to go with ROR and a LHD for the top 4.

Well Stamkos is staying put. I guess under the cba Tampa can give him an 8th year and they look closer to a Cup than Sabes or the Leaves

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Well Stamkos is staying put. I guess under the cba Tampa can give him an 8th year and they look closer to a Cup than Sabes or the Leaves

That's a really big hometown discount. So big it's almost like teams that wanted to pull him out of Tampa didn't want to give the kind of money ($10m to $12m) many suggested for a player that hasn't been a top 5 forward in 4 seasons for the next 6 to 7 years.

Very happy the Sabres did not get to sign him. Buffalo is not going to make any kind of run next season and there are LOTS of D free agent options after next season. This also improves the odds to keep Risto/Eichel/Samson....which I like.

Well, $8.5 million goes a little bit further in a state with no income tax and he does get an 8th year in Tampa which no one else could give him unless it was a sign & trade deal. According to the NHL website Stamkos agrees with you, Sabes aren't going anywhere soon (nor are the Leafs) & he has chance for a Cup in Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Well, $8.5 million goes a little bit further in a state with no income tax and he does get an 8th year in Tampa which no one else could give him unless it was a sign & trade deal. According to the NHL website Stamkos agrees with you, Sabes aren't going anywhere soon (nor are the Leafs) & he has chance for a Cup in Tampa.
    He better win the cup next season. TB is in cap hell and have a ton of UFAs and RFAs to deal with in the next 2 years.

Unregistered
    When your use to living the good life in Tampa with all those beaches, warm weather and lot's of sunshine, it would be very hard to move to Detroit, Buffalo etc...
    Last edited by jennifer7; June 30th, 2016 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    He better win the cup next season. TB is in cap hell and have a ton of UFAs and RFAs to deal with in the next 2 years.
    I don't think they're in cap hell just yet. And $8 million is easier to swallow with the cap than $10 or $11 million. What do you think about Sabes trying to move Kane?

Thread Information