Thread: Who's story is this

Question Who's story is this

written in 1900+/-

They faced overwhelming prejudice, poverty and the isolation of being in a strange and unfriendly country. The majority came to the US when they were very young with high hopes for a better future for themselves and families. They found that not only were the streets not paved with gold but that they were expected to pave them.

"We soon discovered that we were here to do the dirty work that nobody else wanted to do. We came to place that considered us and treated us as less than equal. We were regarded as low class, stupid and inferior."

We still held our heads high and we were still proud of where we came from and of who we were. The mainstream of society tried to humbled us, but we refused to believe that they were better than us and refused to be treated as inferior. We learned to speak English, we found jobs, we started our own businesses. We joined unions and we even formed our own unions. We bought our own homes and we succeeded in spite of the prejudice, discrimination, and less than friendly welcome we received in the US.

In the US, immigrants mobilized to preserve their culture. In immigrant neighborhoods, immigrant shops and other businesses sprung up. Immigrants made it a habit to buy from other immigrants.

"We kept the money in the community and we prospered. I remember my father would never buy from a American if he could buy it from another immigrant."

Immigrant-American newspapers were published in major cities, immigrant-aid and fraternal societies were formed --i.e., Sons of Immigrants etc. All of this greatly helped the continuously arriving immigrants who in addition to the strong immigrant work ethic, brought dance, music and food!
    Who's story is this?

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    written in 1900+/-

They faced overwhelming prejudice, poverty and the isolation of being in a strange and unfriendly country. The majority came to the US when they were very young with high hopes for a better future for themselves and families. They found that not only were the streets not paved with gold but that they were expected to pave them.

"We soon discovered that we were here to do the dirty work that nobody else wanted to do. We came to place that considered us and treated us as less than equal. We were regarded as low class, stupid and inferior."

We still held our heads high and we were still proud of where we came from and of who we were. The mainstream of society tried to humbled us, but we refused to believe that they were better than us and refused to be treated as inferior. We learned to speak English, we found jobs, we started our own businesses. We joined unions and we even formed our own unions. We bought our own homes and we succeeded in spite of the prejudice, discrimination, and less than friendly welcome we received in the US.

In the US, immigrants mobilized to preserve their culture. In immigrant neighborhoods, immigrant shops and other businesses sprung up. Immigrants made it a habit to buy from other immigrants.

"We kept the money in the community and we prospered. I remember my father would never buy from a American if he could buy it from another immigrant."

Immigrant-American newspapers were published in major cities, immigrant-aid and fraternal societies were formed --i.e., Sons of Immigrants etc. All of this greatly helped the continuously arriving immigrants who in addition to the strong immigrant work ethic, brought dance, music and food!
    Who's story is this?

I may be wrong but it sounds like something my grandparents went through when coming to Buffalo from Sicily in 1908, my grandmother entering to live at 120 Erie St (Dante Place) and then a move to 106 Carolina St and then a final spot at the corner of Virginia & W Tupper. I both live and work in these areas.

Unfortunately, stereotypes are perpetuated to this day and I see new-to-the-US folks at the same locations being scorned in the same manner today.

[CENTER] Who's story is this?
    That's my grandparents' story too; paternal from Baveria (met and married here), and maternal from Austria-Hungarian Empire (met and married there). My mother's mother, a shy woman who was maybe five foot tall and weighed about 95 lbs. came here with two girls (aunt 5 and mom 3) alone, two years after her husband came here and saved the money to bring them over.
    They had courage.
    Think you can trust the government?
    Ask an Indian!

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]written in 1900+/-
    That is every immigrant's story from the early 1900s until 1970s. Immigrant families networked and helped one another.

When social programs surged in the 1970s, immigrants learn the easy way like the rest of us. Non-profits took over the resettlement to make it easier.

I think this decade the social programs are still there but the new immigrants like the Somalians are fleeing war and prosecution.
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

Could it be the Italian-Americans?
    www.italiamerica.org/id49.htm

Georgia L Schlager

AHHMEDICA..been veddy,veddy goot ta me!!

written in 1900+/-

Who's story is this?

COULD YOU REWRITE THIS...to reflect current immigrant conditions..expectations, society ...now as it exists. Times and conditions have vastly changed in 100+ years. Could be a real eye-opener!

Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    COULD YOU REWRITE THIS...to reflect current immigrant conditions..expectations, society ...now as it exists. Times and conditions have vastly changed in 100+ years. Could be a real eye-opener!
    EXACTLY what I said. Amazing, isn't it?

Whoever's story it is, **** 'em if they don't learn English.

Cause us good Americans talk good English, and want to make it the official language.

Thread Information