Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's Dissolve a sinking village and the Government responsible for it.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How does the Village of Depew plan to fix this issue without dissolving? I would love to hear the solutions
    Only solution I have seen from the local political social clubs is to kick the can down the road instead of nipping the issues in the bud immediately. THIS means no grandfathering of current employees across the board.

WSFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Only solution I have seen from the local political social clubs is to kick the can down the road instead of nipping the issues in the bud immediately. THIS means no grandfathering of current employees across the board.
    Interesting. What does a village like Akron or Evan do that face Fiscal stress at the moderate level? Bankruptcy? Source: http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/a...l-stress-list/

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You know you can have nice parks.. couple of pools... basic services for any area in Erie County and there is absolutely no reason to pay top dollar for these services.

Why are small groups of people given geographical monopolies of services over property/business owners in Erie County?

Can a bunch of business owners work out a deal between themselves and set pricing for services/products in Erie County? If not why not?

Can all the gas stations in Erie County just set the same price of $10 a gallon for gas? Use that revenue to basically pay every gas station employee $90k, $22k family healthcare plan and possible pension of $1000's a month after 25 to 30 years. While providing the employees upwards of 4 weeks vacation, couple weeks of sick/personal time? Even Clothing allowances?

Quote Originally Posted by WSFirst View Post
    Here is why you need to dissolve in my opinion. And the Village of Akron is another subject;

Fiscal Stress Monitoring System
    http://wwe1.osc.state.ny.us/localgov...oring/fsms.cfm

According to SeeThroughNY; (Source: http://seethroughny.net/payrolls/towns)
    In 2015, Depew had a payroll of $4.7 million for a village of 15 or 16k, let that sink in...50% towards Police and 50% towards Other Employees
    In 2015, Depew had $2.2 million in pensions
    In 2015, Depew had 24 employees (not including police) that made more than $50k, 5 employees that made more than $60k with a high of $72k. Now, including police, all but two police officers made more than $70k.

*All these figures do not include the health insurance

Now, what do you think will happen to that $4.7 million in 2020, etc.? Salaries become legacy costs, turns into a pension, pension number will continue to grow and the payroll will continue to grow. In 2016, how many Village of Depew employees received raises compared to the non-employees in the village?

How does the Village of Depew plan to fix this issue without dissolving? I would love to hear the solutions
    The only solution is to dissolve

Georgia L Schlager

Taxes in Depew are some of the highest taxes in Western New York. Village growth is generally stagnant and its infrastructure continues to age. The politicians in Depew have paid for ever increasing cost of village government by contininually raising taxes, raising fees and, increasing village debt. There is no strategic long range plan.

Since 2003,
    Spending has gone up by about $5 million to $14.53 million
    Tax levy has gone from $4.9 million to $9.14 million, an 86% increase
    Fees to its residents and business have continued to rise and expand
    Village debt has gone from $1.87 million to $8.24 million, a 440% increase.

I heard the say "NO" group is out spreading little white lies like if dissolution takes place Depew will have no fire or police protection. Of course that would never happen but the current employees are out there sowing seeds of doubt and causing concern upon the low information voter. And yes, I guess that means they believe it themselves.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information