Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Dissolve a sinking village and the Government responsible for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    Not necessarily that it should, but they are two separate entities so its not as simple to say when one goes the other does too. The Village of Lancaster already merged its police force with the town a few years ago, but I cant see Lancaster village residents giving up their entity as easily as Depew might.
    Villages in NY = a duplication of government and a waste of your hard earned money in the form of more taxes.

^ Agreed

Personally I do not think dissolution of any village will result in any substantial savings. It may very well shed one layer of government for the creation of multiple special districts and in essence be counter-productive. In my opinion if the community truly wants substantive change the people of the village will need to work with people of the town and move towards CONSOLIDATION.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    Personally I do not think dissolution of any village will result in any substantial savings. It may very well shed one layer of government for the creation of multiple special districts and in essence be counter-productive. In my opinion if the community truly wants substantive change the people of the village will need to work with people of the town and move towards CONSOLIDATION.
    Too true! I lived in the Village of Depew on both the Cheektowaga and Lancaster sides for 28 years. Unfortunately, too few residents do not understand the ramifications of abolishing a Village government. They have no idea that the town(s) do not pick up their debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Too true! I lived in the Village of Depew on both the Cheektowaga and Lancaster sides for 28 years. Unfortunately, too few residents do not understand the ramifications of abolishing a Village government. They have no idea that the town(s) do not pick up their debt.
    How does the rest of the country have a quality of life without 70+ taxing jurisdictions?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Let the group of properties hold on to their debt but the savings in duplication of employees can be used to pay off that debt faster.

Or we stop giving money over seas and spend it on ourselves instead of borrowing creating that debt.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Or just move and do what is best for your family. There is no reason to pay for small service monopolies that have been created in NYS over the decades.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Or just move and do what is best for your family. There is no reason to pay for small service monopolies that have been created in NYS over the decades.
    Didn't they know they were moving into a village when they bought their homes? Didn't they know what real property taxes were being assessed when they did and each subsequent year? Didn't they have an opportunity to vote each election for those responsible for how much they are paying in taxes?
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Sure, just like the people that bought houses along the 90 and 290, then they put those large fences up.

Just because people bought knowing that doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to change those parameters that cause flight from WNY? Voting with feet is not preferable to the government or those that stay.

But yes, people should be less apathetic. Apart from those that don't mind paying the taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Sure, just like the people that bought houses along the 90 and 290, then they put those large fences up.

Just because people bought knowing that doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to change those parameters that cause flight from WNY? Voting with feet is not preferable to the government or those that stay.

But yes, people should be less apathetic. Apart from those that don't mind paying the taxes.
    No one should be happy when they pay off their house and the perpetual taxes are higher then the mortgage payment was (not including the taxes).

For those that don't know you can pay your taxes separate from your mortgage. Taxes don't have to be included.

I am In Favor of Dissolving the Crappy Village I live In. Nothing but corruption.

I think it is time to "revive" this thread. Residents should know by as early as tomorrow if enough valid signatures have been collected to bring the issue of dissolution to a referrendum. This is just the begining of a long series of events that need to happen though before the village actually dissolves. First, there is getting the refferendum scheduled. Then the voters need to turn out. If more friends, family and special interest groups show up to vote than people who would truly like to see a more progressive and efficient government and, might I add, save a buck or two along the way, the dissolution effort would be stopped. If successful, committees need to be formed, plans for dissolution presented and voted on again. The important thing is to vote.

What's in it for the average homeowner in Depew? Actually it depends on where in Depew you live and what the property assessment is. If your home is valued at $150K, on Lancaster side savings could be as much as $900 per year. In Cheektowaga about $757 per year, depending on what your Fire district is. All this is very complicated and yes, there are uncertainties but what is certain is that by doing nothing, taxes will remain higher that what Cheektowaga and Lancaster residents pay. Who knows, should this pass and tax savings are realized, the village could become more attractive to both new business and potential homebuyers.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by VietnamVet View Post
    What's in it for the average homeowner in Depew? Actually it depends on where in Depew you live and what the property assessment is. If your home is valued at $150K, on Lancaster side savings could be as much as $900 per year. In Cheektowaga about $757 per year, depending on what your Fire district is. All this is very complicated and yes, there are uncertainties but what is certain is that by doing nothing, taxes will remain higher that what Cheektowaga and Lancaster residents pay. Who knows, should this pass and tax savings are realized, the village could become more attractive to both new business and potential homebuyers.
    Just make sure you assemble a team of bright people who's only interest is the best interest of the home/business owners in the Village of Depew. Property owners are not and do not be employment agencies for local political groups in Erie County. No matter how you look at it any geographical area in Erie County will need some type of fire protection and services.

WSFirst
    Here is why you need to dissolve in my opinion. And the Village of Akron is another subject;

Fiscal Stress Monitoring System
    http://wwe1.osc.state.ny.us/localgov...oring/fsms.cfm

According to SeeThroughNY; (Source: http://seethroughny.net/payrolls/towns)
    In 2015, Depew had a payroll of $4.7 million for a village of 15 or 16k, let that sink in...50% towards Police and 50% towards Other Employees
    In 2015, Depew had $2.2 million in pensions
    In 2015, Depew had 24 employees (not including police) that made more than $50k, 5 employees that made more than $60k with a high of $72k. Now, including police, all but two police officers made more than $70k.

*All these figures do not include the health insurance

Now, what do you think will happen to that $4.7 million in 2020, etc.? Salaries become legacy costs, turns into a pension, pension number will continue to grow and the payroll will continue to grow. In 2016, how many Village of Depew employees received raises compared to the non-employees in the village?

How does the Village of Depew plan to fix this issue without dissolving? I would love to hear the solutions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information