Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Houghton College site to become seniors’ community

No Rising don't believe for a minute that I'm concerned about handicapped people. They no longer reside at the Developmental Center.

We now house a bunch of perverts that should be castrated. The state can't put them in regular prison. They are housing them here because they had the room. They've been there for years. The town leaders knew it and built parks around them. I guess to tease them.
    Our reputation has been sullied pretty well thanks to WP and his idea of assuming as much control of this town as he can. The problem with Majeski's had to do with sewers. I had been in support of People Inc. building there. Heck the property ajoining Skyhi wasn't so bad either. Those were denied by the TB not the people.
    Open your eyes to the light and tell me that you don't recognize that this project has a politically motivated engine driving it. WP suggested the sight himself. Curious minds want to know why? Don't be a mushroom come into the light. They have kept us in the dark for far too long.

It seems like a good spot for apartments to me. If the project wasn't so large and kept all the woods, it would probably look the same as it looks as a college. The college has dorms there and the college has other large buildings. It's right there next to a busy commercial area - nobody is going to build upscale houses there.

I know that there are two story buildings now on sight. What is being proposed by Young Development is a Three story building for himself and a new two story for People Inc. There is no conceivable way to imagine that they will stop at two buidings. He has 37 acres that will be R-60(s) plus the rest is R-75 he can sell off to whomever. Zoning issues will have been resolved with the current proposal. He will have nothing but sight plan approval to build to his hearts content. Spot rezoning is not good for anyone. It undermines all existing zonings. When it's okay to make changes for one they can't deny the next or we will be sued and likley lose. How many apartments are too many? We may find out for ourselves.
    Hamburg is said to want more apartments. We don't need them O.P. has said no as did Lancaster to a similar proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by CantKeepaSecret View Post
    We don't need them O.P. has said no as did Lancaster to a similar proposal.
    Lancaster denied rezones for senior apartments twice - both times they were on quiet streets.

This proposal is on the busiest street in Town, and you people keep coming up with one excuse after another why it's no good - don't want low income, should maintain the park-like setting, don't believe it will stop at 2 buildings, too much traffic, etc etc etc

Be careful what you wish for.

I tried my best getting them to look into North Buffalo for this. My queries went unanswered unfortunately

Many N. Buffalo residents would love to have some senior housing here (Even low-income). It helps to ignite the re-gentrification of the area.
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

Quote Originally Posted by NBuffaloResident View Post
    I tried my best getting them to look into North Buffalo for this. My queries went unanswered unfortunately

Many N. Buffalo residents would love to have some senior housing here (Even low-income). It helps to ignite the re-gentrification of the area.
    Do you find it odd that people don't want to build and live in the Buffalo city limits? I don't.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1 View Post
    Do you find it odd that people don't want to build and live in the Buffalo city limits? I don't.
    Yes, I do. It has gorgeous water front, plenty of parks, some decent schools, and close proximity to things like:

* Downtown (ie Sabres Games, etc)
    * Elmwood Strip
    * BPO
    * Zoo

And, it's centrally located, low cost of housing, and rather good services (Fire, police, etc)

I like living in Buffalo. I hate what some of the degenerates have turned some of the neighborhoods into, but all-in-all it's a good deal.
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    Lancaster denied rezones for senior apartments twice - both times they were on quiet streets.

This proposal is on the busiest street in Town, and you people keep coming up with one excuse after another why it's no good - don't want low income, should maintain the park-like setting, don't believe it will stop at 2 buildings, too much traffic, etc etc etc

Be careful what you wish for.
    And by being on the busiest street, there needs to be alternate access to property. Guess where that is? A new road has to be established through a now dead end street. You know, something that many people living there based their home purchase on. Not just a few cars mind you, a few hundred cars now driving past your house.

Many who are for this project, are basing their argument on today's population, with 1 in 10 people being over 60 years. That's fine for now, but what happens when there is more senior housing than seniors to occupy them. Given the HUD distinction, they become low-income family housing. I've said this before, it's not about now, it's about the future of the town.

I could very easily say "I'll probably be dead" (or close to it) when the town's demographics start to shift, and it is no longer profitable as senior housing. Why should I give a damn? Because I look at how WS has been developed over the years and say WTF were they thinking? There is no structure, or center to this town. Things were built, and placed haphazardly, all because someone had land and the money to pay off the politicians.

So why am I opposed to Young's project? Because it is just another get rich quick plan, by another developer only concerned with his life, that in the long haul will become one more eyesore in the town.

Many who are for this project, are basing their argument on today's population, with 1 in 10 people being over 60 years. That's fine for now, but what happens when there is more senior housing than seniors to occupy them. Given the HUD distinction, they become low-income family housing. I've said this before, it's not about now, it's about the future of the town. .
    You could certainly fill a book with what you think you know.

So...you're saying that you think there will be a lower percentage of seniors in this area in the future, huh? You think the population is getting younger, huh?

That's very interesting because I've been under the impression that our population is growing in age - and getting older. Apparently, you must have information that the rest of us don't. The Town is fortunate to have such a skilled actuary within its limits.

And by being on the busiest street, there needs to be alternate access to property. Guess where that is? A new road has to be established through a now dead end street. You know, something that many people living there based their home purchase on. Not just a few cars mind you, a few hundred cars now driving past your house.
    Has that second means of egress actually been addressed yet? Cause if it has, you have a legitimate gripe. But, being that it's been a college campus for all these years, I'd be surprised that they would require a second exit now.

So why am I opposed to Young's project? Because it is just another get rich quick plan, by another developer only concerned with his life, that in the long haul will become one more eyesore in the town.
    Again, that's very interesting.
    Does this Young fellow have a history of doing that? Can you please cite an example?
    Or, is this just another instance of Psycho speculation??

Quote Originally Posted by CantKeepaSecret View Post
    I know that there are two story buildings now on sight. What is being proposed by Young Development is a Three story building for himself and a new two story for People Inc. There is no conceivable way to imagine that they will stop at two buidings. He has 37 acres that will be R-60(s) plus the rest is R-75 he can sell off to whomever. Zoning issues will have been resolved with the current proposal. He will have nothing but sight plan approval to build to his hearts content. Spot rezoning is not good for anyone. It undermines all existing zonings. When it's okay to make changes for one they can't deny the next or we will be sued and likley lose. How many apartments are too many? We may find out for ourselves.
    Hamburg is said to want more apartments. We don't need them O.P. has said no as did Lancaster to a similar proposal.
    I believe that this whole issue just underlines the need for us to update our zoning laws.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

It's funny how different people react differently to different things.

I drove by there today, and say all your nice little signs, "Build beautiful homes, not subsidized housing"

It's kinda disgusting, if you ask me. Most human beings see elderly people, and have compassion for them. You folks, on the other hand, don't want them as neighbors because they're "low-income."

Jesus Christ, people, how about showing some compassion. How many elderly people do you think are not low-income, anyway?

Instant karma’s gonna get you
    Gonna knock you off your feet
    Last edited by therising; April 23rd, 2010 at 10:26 PM.

Originally posted by CantKeepaSecret:
    No Rising don't believe for a minute that I'm concerned about handicapped people. They no longer reside at the Developmental Center.

We now house a bunch of perverts that should be castrated. The state can't put them in regular prison. They are housing them here because they had the room. They've been there for years. The town leaders knew it and built parks around them. I guess to tease them.
    Are you stating that sex offenders are housed at the developmental center on East and West Rd? If so, are the neighbors aware of this?

Georgia L Schlager

You could certainly fill a book with what you think you know.

So...you're saying that you think there will be a lower percentage of seniors in this area in the future, huh? You think the population is getting younger, huh?

That's very interesting because I've been under the impression that our population is growing in age - and getting older. Apparently, you must have information that the rest of us don't. The Town is fortunate to have such a skilled actuary within its limits.
    Sorry, the information is in a .pdf format so I wasn't able to cut and paste. Just go to this site, and you'll see the decline in the birth rate post baby boom. Factor in the over-all decline in population, due to deaths, relocation, and perhaps you'll be able to understand the point I'm making. BTW, the current birth rate is the lowest it's ever been.

http://www.census.gov/popest/research/p23-186.pdf

Has that second means of egress actually been addressed yet? Cause if it has, you have a legitimate gripe. But, being that it's been a college campus for all these years, I'd be surprised that they would require a second exit now.
    That was one of the catalysts to the opposition. This is a very small annex campus. If there were 100 students at a single time, I'd be surprised. Instead of driving past the campus, you should have driven in to it. Look around, and imagine the impact of the proposed project. Be sure to look for the parking lot that will need to be opened to the adjacent street. Then when you're done, try to make a left out of there. I suggest between 4:00 PM and 5:00PM Monday to Friday.

Again, that's very interesting.
    Does this Young fellow have a history of doing that? Can you please cite an example?
    Or, is this just another instance of Psycho speculation??
    He currently has other projects in the town, along with other 55+ apts. look for the "units available" signs on Southwestern. Perhaps he believes that if he builds it, they will come. Never mind the impact on the surrounding neighborhoods.

[QUOTE=Psycho1;633980]Sorry, the information is in a .pdf format so I wasn't able to cut and paste. Just go to this site, and you'll see the decline in the birth rate post baby boom. Factor in the over-all decline in population, due to deaths, relocation, and perhaps you'll be able to understand the point I'm making. BTW, the current birth rate is the lowest it's ever been.

http://www.census.gov/popest/research/p23-186.pdf

And, you've just proved my point - our population is getting older. How, in God's name, do you interpret this to mean that senior housing is not necessary??

That was one of the catalysts to the opposition. This is a very small annex campus. If there were 100 students at a single time, I'd be surprised. Instead of driving past the campus, you should have driven in to it. Look around, and imagine the impact of the proposed project. Be sure to look for the parking lot that will need to be opened to the adjacent street. Then when you're done, try to make a left out of there. I suggest between 4:00 PM and 5:00PM Monday to Friday.
    Actually, I did go in. I drove the whole loop. And, for the life of me, I cannot understand how you can be opposed to this project on such a large site. Especially, when it's right next door to a shopping center.

I made the left, (it was around noon), and I can understand how it can be difficult. But, let's be honest - that's not your real concern. Because if it was, you wouldn't have signs up saying "build beautiful homes." If the site turns into single family homes, you'll probably have 75 families living back there. And, I'm willing to bet that those 75 soccer moms will be coming and going a lot more than the seniors will. Not to mention the tax burden that those families, with their 2.2 kids each, will put on the school system.

He currently has other projects in the town, along with other 55+ apts. look for the "units available" signs on Southwestern. Perhaps he believes that if he builds it, they will come. Never mind the impact on the surrounding neighborhoods.

Just because he has "units available" signs up doesn't mean they're empty. Here's a newsflash for you: Developers don't make money by building buildings - they make money be renting them. So, if he didn't see a need for this, he certainly wouldn't be taking it on.

How about addressing the rest of what I said:

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    It's kinda disgusting, if you ask me. Most human beings see elderly people, and have compassion for them. You folks, on the other hand, don't want them as neighbors because they're "low-income."

Jesus Christ, people, how about showing some compassion. How many elderly people do you think are not low-income, anyway?

For anyone that's interested in seeing the site, Google Maps Street View already did a drive through. Take a look, and then, tell me, with a straight face this isn't a good use for the land:

View Larger Map

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information