Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Houghton College site to become seniors’ community

It looks like the project has been scaled down. If it was a small project like the one he just put in on Transit and Schultz Roads, it might not be so bad.

Don't be fooled by them. They start with a small project to get a foot in the door. It has happened at Fox Run Trace on Transit it is now in phase three!
    Don't imagine for a minute with 37 acres of developable land for multi-family housing and the rest for whatever that he wont be back asking for more.
    Once he gets precedence established it will be that much harder to stop this or another project that is bad for the town.

Can't they just put a deed restriction on it so he can only build the small project and can't ever go back to ask for more?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Is this the project all the signs on union road are complaining about? Subsidize apartments and section 8 stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Is this the project all the signs on union road are complaining about? Subsidize apartments and section 8 stuff?
    Yes it is, but those of us involved in this action are being wrongly catagorized in the matter. It is not about older residents moving in, rather the long term use of the complex. The demographics will not support long term 55 plus housing. Initially the residents will be in this age range, however, eventually in time they will need to open it up to younger tenants. With the HUD designation that could spell problems like they've experienced in the Allenhurst Apartments in Amherst. Once "Senior Housing", it is now a general Sec. 8 housing project. This has affected the home values in the neighborhood. It has also caused an increase in the crime rate for the town. As a former long time Amherst resident, it is like watching history repeat itself. Just look at the statistics, and perhaps you'll understand.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

What demographics don't support senior housing?

Why are we even building housing when people are moving out? This state is stupid I say turn it into a park or something. This area needs more housing like it needs more taxes!!! We need to rebuild areas that are decaying. Why not put housing there the infrastructure is already in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinhead View Post
    What demographics don't support senior housing?
    Baby boom vs. baby bust generations. Starting in the mid 70's, elementary schools were closed and teachers laid off. Many school systems had to configure their schools to better utilize the buildings. As I lived there at the time, the Amherst School System closed Harlem and Eggert roads schools, and reconfigured the junior and senior high schools to middle and high schools. The number of children born after 1965 was far less than between 1947 and 1964. Those born after these years are not yet 50. Given this, within the next 15 years, there will be more 55 and up housing than those who qualify. Factor in that since 2000, WNY has lost about 47,000 residents and climbing. Many are leaving for jobs, as did my son, or they are choosing to grow old somewhere else. Check the census data when it comes out. The population is not growing, just growing old.

It appears that we should be increasing the capacity of skilled nursing facilities rather than senior housing.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    It appears that we should be increasing the capacity of skilled nursing facilities rather than senior housing.
    That my friend, is next. In fact, Weinberg and some others have various levels of housing. Adult, assisted, and skilled. The former inhabited by mostly women.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1 View Post
    That my friend, is next. In fact, Weinberg and some others have various levels of housing. Adult, assisted, and skilled. The former inhabited by mostly women.
    We just need more nurses and more nursing home administrators. There is demand for nurses and the number will only increase in the coming years.

Why do Union Road folks hate Seniors Citizens?

Quote Originally Posted by ichingtheory View Post
    I think that is a perfect area for senior housing.
    If you hate this project you must have hated your own mother!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1 View Post
    And, that would be a problem because.....??

I'm astonished that you folks would rather live next door to a college campus, than housing for seniors.

What's wrong with you WS people? Why do you keep turning down senior housing?

Furthermore, what do you people propose would be a good use for the property?

My point is getting lost. It is not the seniors, or the apartments for that matter. It's the HUD issue.

Eventually, there will not be enough 55+ to fill these apartments, and what happens then? The same thing that has happened to the Allenhurst Apts. in Amherst, low income housing projects.

I've watched it happen. Friends who live near there have watched the value of their homes decline, and the crime rate rise. Check the stats with the Amherst Police. Springville, Capen, Oxford, Callodine and several other streets in that area have experienced an increase in criminal activity. Enrollment at the Windermere Elem. School increased so much they had to float a bond to put an extension on the building. And guess who paid for it, that's right, the taxpayers. The CEO of PEOPLE, Inc. lived in the area years ago. I have to see if she's still in the same house, or if she got out too.

To answer some other questions, many of us wouldn't mind several upscale homes being built. And no, we wouldn't mind another college, such as Trocaire, using the facility, Houghton was a good neighbor.

I wonder how many of those who question our motives would feel if it was proposed to be built in you neighborhood? East Aurora's a nice area, with walkable streets. Elma would offer a peaceful country setting.

Ok, let the slamming, and name calling, begin. I've got big shoulders, and you're not going to change my mind.

I can not honestly say that I agree with senior housing being added to that region would be a good move for the town however the signs that state build beautiful homes instead of subsized housing is just riduculous. If your worried about Young expanding his development in future years what do you think would happen if a new development was put in? Look at the two newer developments off of Fisher Road they just keep trenching deeper into the little green space this town has left. Home development back there would also increase traffic and lead for need of a traffic light. As for overburdening our fire and police departments, no one stepped up to oppose the developments along orchard park road and the two off Fisher which are all in one fire district. It just seems so far fetched that as high as our towns taxes are and as much of the budget that gets allocated to the fire and police that thats even a concern. The Houghton Campus holds so much of Ebenezer's history it seems like such a shame to even let it be developed. We have some really great space that we do not highlight. I think West Seneca needs to take a step back and figure out the direction of our future.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information