Thread: Another group of Town employees trying to control politics?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Another group of Town employees trying to control politics?

How interesting this is.

I wonder if any of this work is done while on our dime

Max, who is a foreman in the Cheektowaga town sanitation department, disagrees.
    New group corrals posts in Democratic committee
    By BARBARA O'BRIEN
    News Staff Reporter
    9/14/2006

Two factions remain in Cheektowaga's Democratic Committee, but Frank Max's Progressive Democrats made major inroads in races for committeemen this week.
    "It's a large massive victory for the club," said Max, before announcing perhaps his biggest challenge yet: "I'm going to sit down and try to unite the Democratic Party in Cheektowaga."

What Max and the Progressives did was run aggressive campaigns in selected districts. There are a total of 222 committeemen in Cheektowaga - two for each of 111 districts. Max said his candidates won at least 40 out of 52 seats they targeted. Some seats were decided by as few as four votes. The most votes cast in any district was 130.

Some longtime committeemen lost their seats, including former Erie County Legislator Raymond K. Dusza, Highway Superintendent Christopher Kowal and Julian J. Polanski.

"I was so stunned last night I was speechless," Max said.

Democratic Chairman Kenneth J. Meyers, who retained his committee seat, said he got outworked.

"They outworked us and as the saying goes, nothing beats hard work," he said.

But he says he has enough votes to retain control of the party.

"They did good, but after looking it over, I don't think it was good enough," Meyers said.

Each committeeman has a weighted vote.

"Our guys tallied up before the races," Meyers said. "They told us with the weighted vote we could win even if we lost all the seats."

Max, who is a foreman in the Cheektowaga town sanitation department, disagrees.

"We have somewhere in the vicinity of 115 members of the committee that are definitely aligned with us," he said. "We have the weighted vote."

Erie County Democratic Chairman Leonard R. Lenihan said a united Cheektowaga town party is important to county and state politics.

"It is really viewed as a barometer as how the state votes," Lenihan said. "It is my hope that cooler heads will prevail and people will talk. It's best settled between the parties out there."

He said if needed, he would try to help the two factions come together.

That might take some time. Meyers said he has tried in the past to sit down and talk with Max. He said he tried to keep committee races to a minimum. He put only one candidate up against a Progressive Democrat-backed candidate, and did not challenge any petitions filed by the opposing faction.

"I've exhausted that avenue," Meyers said. And after these hard fought committee races, "what did we accomplish? More hard feelings I guess."

Max, who spent much of Wednesday returning calls of congratulations, said, "There's a lot of healing that needs to be done."

e-mail: bobrien@buffnews.com

Town employees are voting citizens too. They have as much freedom to be political activists as any other citizen.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace
    Town employees are voting citizens too. They have as much freedom to be political activists as any other citizen.
    Problem is when the activists are only activists to line thier own pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Problem is when the activists are only activists to line thier own pockets.
    hmmm well put, Rez.
    What Max and the Progressives did was run aggressive campaigns in selected districts. There are a total of 222 committeemen in Cheektowaga - two for each of 111 districts. Max said his candidates won at least 40 out of 52 seats they targeted. Some seats were decided by as few as four votes. The most votes cast in any district was 130.

Some longtime committeemen lost their seats, including former Erie County Legislator Raymond K. Dusza, Highway Superintendent Christopher Kowal and Julian J. Polanski.

"I was so stunned last night I was speechless," Max said.
    Why is Frank Max doing this? All he is doing is splitting the democratic party in Cheektowaga.
    Erie County Democratic Chairman Leonard R. Lenihan said a united Cheektowaga town party is important to county and state politics.

"It is really viewed as a barometer as how the state votes," Lenihan said. "It is my hope that cooler heads will prevail and people will talk. It's best settled between the parties out there."

He said if needed, he would try to help the two factions come together.
    Yeah, well guess what? it is needed. But I don't think the two factions will ever come together.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

I do believe that there will be unity between the two factions. Max would be a great organizer and leader. Congrats to him and I look forward to watching his work.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodaette
    I do believe that there will be unity between the two factions. Max would be a great organizer and leader. Congrats to him and I look forward to watching his work.

Can anyone fill me in on some History of Frank Max.

Someone emailed me that he was given a job in the town to stay out of the democratic party system. I don't have a clue who he is.

The Towns Employees do pay taxes and also work for the town - they are in effect civil servants, and employed by the community. The community should dictate the terms based in terms of actual affordability, and should realize cuts can and do happen, to pay and benefits so that the essential services the town needs are in full operation. The town and community as a whole should never have to do with LESS because the employee wants MORE.

This common statement that Town EMployees are taxpayers too is getting old. It shows me where the ultimate concern of town employees lay, and it's all centered towards them and around them, not the town.

My two cents.
    Activity + Opportunity = Success

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Can anyone fill me in on some History of Frank Max.

Someone emailed me that he was given a job in the town to stay out of the democratic party system. I don't have a clue who he is.
    Perhaps Yodaette can fill you in.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Talking Town Employees

Town employees due to the shear number re-elect the same elected officials over and over again. Each group feathers the others's nest . Ask yourself exactly what it is you receive for your tax dollars!
    Old Stony

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I could see this because some of the races are so close.

If you have 200 employees involved in elections and just 2 of there family members vote you can swing small races.

Got quiet or was told to be quiet

I'm still looking for information about a $15,000 garbage can that someone mentioned to me.

Question Is this a Lancaster Thread ?

Quote Originally Posted by OneEmerald
    Did you mean Latello - or was that Lancasters Highway Department and Lancaster's Democratic Party . -
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Thread Information