Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wegmans to close Walden Avenue store

Wegmans to close Walden Avenue store

Wegmans will reduce its number of supermarkets in Buffalo Niagara for the first time since the chain expanded here in 1977, as it prepares to close a Cheektowaga store.

Wegmans said its Walden Avenue store, across from the Walden Galleria, was never a profitable location. As a result, Wegmans has decided to trim its store count to 10 in Erie and Niagara counties. The Galleria location will close in mid-October, the Rochester-based chain announced Friday.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...02/1073728.asp
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

My cousin is a meat cutter/manager for Wegmans and first told us two years ago that Galleria was on the chopping block. The store hung on longer that intended since the powers that be wanted to try some ideas to get store sales up. Dick Rd. being rebuilt and reopened did not help their plight. But it is all about location, and that store is in a terrible spot, hard to get in and out of, set way back from Walden. I often wondered what made them decide to put that store so close to the Dick Rd store. They generally spread them out more. I am glad that the employees will be offered jobs at other Wegmans stores.
    Chaos, Panic, Disorder, my work here is done!

Not a big surprise. The store is in a terrible location - for a supermarket anyway. Let's just hope there isn't a big old empty building sitting around for years after it closes. Cheektowaga is famous for that kind of thing.

lets spend 66 million dollars and put a bait store here
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by granpabob
    lets spend 66 million dollars and put a bait store here

That would be the spot to put it. Right off the thurway.. the infrastructure is there already.

Wegman's is pretty real estate savvy, they own quite a few of their locations. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a tenant for that site.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    That would be the spot to put it. Right off the thurway.. the infrastructure is there already.
    It would make more sense than putting it at the foot of Main St. It would have to be the main reason to go there, opposed to the shoppers at the Gallaria crossing Walden to go to Bass Pro. I can see the sportmen dropping their families at the mall while they go to experience the Bass Pro Shop.

Maybe Cheektowaga could file a ridiculus lawsuit and steal Bass Pro from Buffalo.....LOL
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

I heard the Top's in Thurway Plaza is closings by the end of year

Quote Originally Posted by PalmTree
    I heard the Top's in Thurway Plaza is closings by the end of year
    Really? I had not heard that. I went in there once. It was trashed, it looked like Ghengis Khan had been there just before me.

Let's move County Hall to that location.

About time we leave behind the old model of all govt functions around a town square. They should follow the population out to the 'burbs.

It'd be nice to spread the non-taxable real estate of govt buildings to places like wealthy Cheektowaga instead of almost all of it in impoverished Buffalo.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Well, I hope something goes there. We have too many empty buildings in Cheektowaga as it is.

think bigger....

Quote Originally Posted by JustRetired
    It would make more sense than putting it at the foot of Main St. It would have to be the main reason to go there, opposed to the shoppers at the Gallaria crossing Walden to go to Bass Pro. I can see the sportmen dropping their families at the mall while they go to experience the Bass Pro Shop.

Maybe Cheektowaga could file a ridiculus lawsuit and steal Bass Pro from Buffalo.....LOL
    Problem thinking historically in Erie County. More likely to see all sportsmen from local suburbs along with outer regions and Canada compete in game fishing tournaments, a largely growing interest. People in this County need to think outside the box. Everyone complains when a company or plan will drive dollars out of the region...but when presented with a concept to be the one taking revenue from another area...[I]well, only if it fits my self interests do I approve tax dollars...and,uh I asked john down the street if he would go and he wouldn't so its a bad location. [I]That is about the extent of thought put in unfortunately.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by biker
    Let's move County Hall to that location.

About time we leave behind the old model of all govt functions around a town square. They should follow the population out to the 'burbs.

It'd be nice to spread the non-taxable real estate of govt buildings to places like wealthy Cheektowaga instead of almost all of it in impoverished Buffalo.
    WHy one earth do you think we would want dead weight in cheektowaga?

Just the start.

This is just the start of closings for Tops and Wegmans. They cant compete with a WalMart Super Center on the prices. Walmart is about 35 - 40% less on a total order then Tops or Wegmans. When you see more than one Super Center being built in the area that just means less sales for the other two chains.I give Tops 5 years before it closes all or most of it's stores, And I give Wegmans about 8- 10 years before the same happens. There will be a lot of prime real estate open in the near future.

The local Top's stores will be sold within the next 8-12 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information