Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Buy's price gouging

Best Buy's price gouging

I was planning on purchasing a Toshiba A505-S6980 laptop for my grandsons for Christmas at Best Buy for $629.99. This was their normal everyday price on November 8. Since Black friday, Best Buy has raised the price to $899.99. That's a 42% increase. Isn't that price gouging? Nothing like waiting to the unofficial beginning of the Christmas shopping season to hike the prices.

I emailed them and just tried calling their 24 hour phone help but they are experiencing a more than 10 minute wait. Yeah, at this time of the day. I've got to get ready for work. I'll call and b**ch after work.

Georgia L Schlager

There is no such thing as price-gouging. It's an imaginary offense invented by politicians to con people who were never taught economics in government school.

If Chuck Schumer thinks a company is over-charging, he should start his own company and make millions selling low.

You are free to buy or not buy.

Sellers increase their prices in response to increased demand. Among other virtues, this assures an adequate supply for the most urgent buyers.

Try CyberMonday. See what they have tomorrow online..
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

Smile What is he going to do with the laptop

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I was planning on purchasing a Toshiba A505-S6980 laptop for my grandsons for Christmas at Best Buy for $629.99. This was their normal everyday price on November 8. Since Black friday, Best Buy has raised the price to $899.99. That's a 42% increase. Isn't that price gouging? Nothing like waiting to the unofficial beginning of the Christmas shopping season to hike the prices.

I emailed them and just tried calling their 24 hour phone help but they are experiencing a more than 10 minute wait. Yeah, at this time of the day. I've got to get ready for work. I'll call and b**ch after work.
    Let me know what he is going to do with the computer! Tigerdirect.com is still the best

buy a dell at dell.com though bing.com and get 20% cashback. You're better off dealing with dell than dealing with bestbuy. If you really like that toshiba laptop, there's a clone of it at office depot, a505-s6986 i believe.

I was planning on purchasing a Toshiba A505-S6980 laptop for my grandsons for Christmas at Best Buy for $629.99. This was their normal everyday price on November 8. Since Black friday, Best Buy has raised the price to $899.99. That's a 42% increase.
    Are you sure you were comparing the exact same computers?
    There are other types of Toshiba Satellite models, and they are still selling one of them for $629.99 (not the A505 though)

Originally posted by 300 miles:
    Are you sure you were comparing the exact same computers?
    There are other types of Toshiba Satellite models, and they are still selling one of them for $629.99 (not the A505 though)
    I have the print out from Nov. 8th and am comparing the exact same model and it's the non-satellite model.

I'm more mad at myself for procrastinating on the purchase but bumping the price up 42% just because it "Tis the season" seems like a non-consumer friendly business practice.

Georgia L Schlager

I'm wondering if it may not be on Best Buy, but the manufacturer? If the SRP went up, they would have to post that accordingly. Also, if the cost from load to load went up, that would factor in, too, also on the manufacturer end.
    I work in manufacturer to distributor sales. I can't tell you how many times this happens. It's very frustrating.

Look at HP's dv6-1355dx at Best buy, it's $649.99 and the only major difference is it's a 6 cell batt not 12 cell, so you'll get 3.5 to 4 hours of run time.
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry A View Post
    Let me know what he is going to do with the computer! Tigerdirect.com is still the best
    Newegg.com is better than tigerdirect!
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

All is GREAT! Best Buy cut the price back down to the original price.
    Yippeeeeeeee!

Georgia L Schlager

When is the government going to cut its price to the original one or two percent of national income?

Thumbs up

Did you ask the government?

you should have bought a Mac.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

All is GREAT! Best Buy cut the price back down to the original price.
    Yippeeeeeeee!
    A lot of times if a retial store like BB is having a good deal on a computer like urs. They'll jack the price up for 30 days before so people won't buy any. That way they A have better stock and B won't have to do any 30 day price matches.
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information