Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Town website

Town website

You can access town board agendas back to 1/7/2013 through the town code link.
    Using the Archived documents link, only agendas from 5/6/2013 forward are available.
    Any before that date aren't accessible. You just get the -
    ERROR 404 page
    Oops, This page could not be found!

Georgia L Schlager

The library on Broadway, east of Central Ave used to have copies going back many years . Not sure if they still do ?

No surprise the website would be limited - it is under the control of Town Clerk/Madam Supervisor - why open your self up to any unneeded scrutiny ?
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

You can often locate old docs by doing a "site" search at Google. The site search will pull any item in Google's index even if the site search on the Lancaster site is not picking it up. If you know that you are searching for a PDF, you can also add a "filteype" operator.

Search this at Google:
    Code:
    site:lancasterny.gov filetype:pdf
    Many municipal sites will go through a number of changes in platform over the years and the Lancaster site is no exception. I believe that the prior version of the site was on the Erie County platform (www.erie.gov/lancaster). If you are finding links to those older documents and they are coming up with 404's, check the URL since it is probably linking to the file at the erie.gov site. Perhaps the county site no longer retained the docs or the internal link was changed without the proper redirect.

Gorja, do you have a link that returns the 404 error? If so, you can dig a little deeper and possibly find it at www.archive.org using the "Way Back Machine" or you could even locate it in the Google index (cached version).

Good luck. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    The library on Broadway, east of Central Ave used to have copies going back many years . Not sure if they still do ?

No surprise the website would be limited - it is under the control of Town Clerk/Madam Supervisor - why open your self up to any unneeded scrutiny ?
    Last edited by roblaw; November 30th, 2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by roblaw View Post
    You can often locate old docs by doing a "site" search at Google. The site search will pull any item in Google's index even if the site search on the Lancaster site is not picking it up. If you know that you are searching for a PDF, you can also add a "filteype" operator.

Search this at Google:
    Code:
    Many municipal sites will go through a number of changes in platform over the years and the Lancaster site is no exception. I believe that the prior version of the site was on the Erie County platform (www.erie.gov/lancaster). If you are finding links to those older documents and they are coming up with 404's, check the URL since it is probably linking to the file at the erie.gov site. Perhaps the county site no longer retained the docs or the internal link was changed without the proper redirect.

Gorja, do you have a link that returns the 404 error? If so, you can dig a little deeper and possibly find it at www.archive.org using the "Way Back Machine" or you could even locate it in the Google index (cached version).

Wouldn't it be simpler to call the Clerk's office and ask what's changel and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Wouldn't it be simpler to call the Clerk's office and ask what's changel and why?
    Are you referring to asking the clerk's office about what has changed on the website?

Search this at Google:
    Code:

This only started happening recently. I'd say over the last 6 -8 weeks. Prior to that- No problem. So, it has worked since they had their own site

Georgia L Schlager

Are you referring to asking the clerk's office about what has changed on the website?
    Yes. That is her department's responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    This only started happening recently. I'd say over the last 6 -8 weeks. Prior to that- No problem. So, it has worked since they had their own site
    Can you find one of the 404 links again?

Maybe, I'll try that tomorrow. I've worked the last 10 days haven't had time to do much during the daylight (business) hours.

Georgia L Schlager

Maybe, I'll try that tomorrow. I've worked the last 10 days haven't had time to do much during the daylight (business) hours.
    If an answer is not had by the town board meeting next Monday I will ask why the archive information is not available.

Can you find one of the 404 links again?
    Here's one that gets the 404 message
    http://lancasterny.gov/site/wp-conte...enda041513.pdf

Here's one that's works correctly
    http://lancasterny.gov/site/wp-conte.../TBA050613.pdf

Georgia L Schlager

If an answer is not had by the town board meeting next Monday I will ask why the archive information is not available.
    Thank you

Georgia L Schlager

Called the clerk's office was told to hold. Person returned and said she would transfer me to the supervisor's office. Spoke to Lynn in the supervisor's office. She indicated that an error was fixed yesterday. I tried while she was still on the line and told her still getting 404 error. She asked which agenda that I attempted to access and said they would check into it.

Georgia L Schlager

Called the clerk's office was told to hold. Person returned and said she would transfer me to the supervisor's office. Spoke to Lynn in the supervisor's office. She indicated that an error was fixed yesterday. I tried while she was still on the line and told her still getting 404 error. She asked which agenda that I attempted to access and said they would check into it.

Great gorja, keep us posted, and we will try again too.

It's working now

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information