Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lorigo: Syrian refugees are a 'risk' to Erie County

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Lorigo: Syrian refugees are a 'risk' to Erie County

Lorigo: Syrian refugees are a 'risk' to Erie County

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) - One lawmaker in Erie County is calling on Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz to reverse a decision to allow 300 Syrian refugees to settle in Western New York.

Following terror attacks in Paris, Erie County Legislature Majority leader Joseph Lorigo sent out the following tweets on Saturday:

http://www.wkbw.com/news/lorigo-syri...to-erie-county

Thumbs down

There's going to be a large influx of the Syrian refugees just across the border.

1,000 Syrian refugees to be flown daily to Canada
    http://en.cijnews.com/?p=13843

Trudeau’s Liberal government reviewed on Thursday, November 12, the plan which is still undergoing development, to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees in Canada till the end of the year.

Based on the government and media reports, the plan seems to contain the following components:

Identification – All refugees will be identified on site before arriving in Canada. 10,000 refugees have already applied to Canada.

Health checks will be conducted in the refugee-hosting countries. The government intends to restore the Interim Federal Health Program that provides limited and temporary health benefits to refugees and refugee claimants.

Security screening – Initial security checks will be conducted at phase one and completed after the refugees are already settled in Canada. Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale affirmed that some security screening will be conducted on Canadian soil. “My officials are satisfied that, to the extent that there are security issues, that they can be properly managed within the frame that the government is considering, and that Canada can fulfil the objective of receiving and settling 25,000 refugees in an expeditious way,” Goodale said.

Transportation – Three daily flights out of Amman, Jordan will bring every day 1,000 Syrian refugees to Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton and the military base in Trenton, Ont. Air Canada offered its help in airlifting the Syrian refugees.

Sponsorship – The 25,000 Syrian refugees will be admitted through immediate government sponsorship and more refugees to be brought to Canada by private sponsors.
    Integration – The refugees will stay 3 months in “Interim Lodging Sites” as part of the “community integration” process. 6,000 of them are expected to resettle in Quebec.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Erie County to accept up to 300 Syrian refugees

Erie County will accept 300 refugees from Syria, according to County Executive Mark Poloncarz.

Poloncarz tweeted out Wednesday this message:

“As we watch the Syrian refugee crisis in Europe continue, @ECSocServices expects up to 300 refugees to be resettled in Erie County.”
    http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...ugees-20150910

When they say in "Erie County" does this mean the City of Buffalo or does social services try to spread the refugees evenly in Erie County?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What is the Erie County Supported candidate Hillary's view on importing 10000's of refugees from over seas?

No offense meant but I hope if they do let them in I hope they stay in the City of Buffalo or Lackawanna.

Georgia L Schlager

Poloncarz's response to Lorigo -

In regard to Legislator Lorigo’s comments, I am disappointed both by his comments and his ignorance of the process of resettling refugees in our country. Erie County government is NOT an active participant in the re-settlement of refugees. The decision to allow refugees of any nationality into our country is made by the federal government and the placement of refugees who are legal immigrants into communities in the U.S. is made by the federal and state governments. Neither the County Executive nor any branch of Erie County government has any say in whether any refugee is resettled in our community, nor can we prevent a legal immigrant from being resettled here.

In New York, local not-for-profit resettlement agencies work with federal and state agencies to place refugees into communities based on the ability of the agency to support them. Local resettlement agencies include Catholic Charities of Buffalo, Jewish Family Service of Buffalo and Erie County, Journey’s End Refugee Services, Inc., and the International Institute of Buffalo. Once a refugee is placed in our community through one of these agencies, Erie County’s Department of Social Services may work with the agency and individual, if the individual qualifies for any federal or state benefits, to ensure a better transition into the community.

Many of the refugees fleeing Syria are Coptic and Syrian Orthodox Christians who fled their country because they had no choice. As such, I am very disappointed by Legislator Lorigo’s statement, which seemed to be stoking the fires of Islamophobia. While we all must remain vigilant, it is important to note that our region has a long history of being a new home for immigrants from around the world who fled civil war or faced persecution in their homeland, including Iraqis, Burmese, Somalis, and during the past two years a small contingent of Syrians. All of these people have been vetted by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Office, a component of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, before being admitted to our country and placed in any community.

Erie County’s limited role, working with our partner agencies, is to help individuals who have been legally admitted to our country regardless of their religion or country of origin adjust to a new home. In that role, as always, we will continue to remain alert against terrorism in any of its forms, foreign or domestic.”

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    No offense meant but I hope if they do let them in I hope they stay in the City of Buffalo or Lackawanna.
    No offense taken.

Pull your check book out Monday morning. With this attitude I hope you start to cut a check to help with support. Older I get the clearer the BS appears. We have people here who should be helped first long before importing more people to support. I understand we will have the occasional person who does start a business and makes a go of it. Issue is that doesn't happen often enough.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Poloncarz's response to Lorigo -
    Tony's response to Poloncarz. Was he at the Hillary fund raiser? Let us see what he truly supports.

I agree with Gorja. In addition to those points Lorigo obviously should stay out of foreign affairs and let that policy decision be made higher up. His statements are ill informed and ignores history of war refugees. The U.S. took a similar stance in the years leading up to WWII under FDR: http://crfimmigrationed.org/index.ph...achers/144-hl5
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    No offense taken.

Pull your check book out Monday morning. With this attitude I hope you start to cut a check to help with support. Older I get the clearer the BS appears. We have people here who should be helped first long before importing more people to support. I understand we will have the occasional person who does start a business and makes a go of it. Issue is that doesn't happen often enough.
    I'm not advocating them bringing them here but if they do like I said no offense meant, they can go to the City of Buffalo or Lackawanna. If we have no say in it, let them stay out of the burbs.

Georgia L Schlager

How many of our citizens are homeless, poor, sick and underfed? There is your answer for Syrian refugees.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    How many of our citizens are homeless, poor, sick and underfed? There is your answer for Syrian refugees.
    Like anyone "here" cares about them...

b.b.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    They have always said charity begins at home not charity begins with homeless refugees.
    Take care of our own first.

Georgia L Schlager

They have always said charity begins at home not charity begins with homeless refugees.
    Take care of our own first.
    Yes!!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I know the people who support this pander for votes but I think enough is enough already.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information