Thread: Promotions - New Thread started by WNYresident

Promotions - New Thread started by WNYresident

sorry, I was at work, couldn't run to the computer to answer your question as quickly as you demanded. Understand something with this scoring , there are no ties. OK. The Officers took the tests , recieved a grade, and were put in order, highest being first. Still with me ? Now the Officers are being promoted. The Officers on the list for LT were, IN ORDER, Mullen, Cooley, Menza, Joyce, Mendola then Fahey. That was how they ranked by score. When it came time to promote 4 of them, Cooley, who is a Detective in the Marshalls/State Police Felony Warrant Squad, was passed over. He was the guy that in the past week locked up 2 different murderers. And Bob Joyce, who is a very active Officer in Bflo's C District. Obviously the others were promoted. The City is suppossed to promote in order, unless they see a problem. That isn't the case with these guys. They have excellent work records. As well, Starkey and McGugh are fine Officers with no problems , on or off the job. Pure Politics is why they weren't promoted. Nothing less. It is pathetic that the Mayor won't tell the truth. He made this call. He is a coward/liar for not admitting it.

You do not seem to understand that NYS Civil Service Law takes precedence over city civil service rules or BPD "tradition". There is absolutely no requirement that the individuals be appointed or promoted in exact score order.

The agency/department gets to pick from among at least 3 candidates for each opening based upon the candidates' standing on the list which is based on score (and I find it questionable that a civil service test is scored by tenths of a point -- that sounds like possibly a raw score). When 1 person is promoted, then the list is reformulated, which opens up the next promotion to the next 3 candidates on the list. If the new third high score has more than 1 candidate with that score, then all of the candidates with that score are eligible. It's conceivable that the top scorer on the exam gets passed over for all available promotions because while he/she is good on exams, he/she may not do well when interviewed.

This isn't rocket science.

It even happened to Jimmy:

In the 1960 he passed a civil service exam for recreation instructor.

I was fifth or sixth on the list. I was a naive guy who figured they were on the square but they kept passing my name by.
    source: http://www.buffalonian.com/history/i...rs/Griffin.htm
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    You do not seem to understand that NYS Civil Service Law takes precedence over city civil service rules or BPD "tradition". There is absolutely no requirement that the individuals be appointed or promoted in exact score order.

The agency/department gets to pick from among at least 3 candidates for each opening based upon the candidates' standing on the list which is based on score (and I find it questionable that a civil service test is scored by tenths of a point -- that sounds like possibly a raw score). When 1 person is promoted, then the list is reformulated, which opens up the next promotion to the next 3 candidates on the list. If the new third high score has more than 1 candidate with that score, then all of the candidates with that score are eligible. It's conceivable that the top scorer on the exam gets passed over for all available promotions because while he/she is good on exams, he/she may not do well when interviewed.

This isn't rocket science.
    why is it so hard for u to comprehend but you are right and my uncle was killed by a drunk driver years ago so I think tonight I am gonna go get all tuned up at a local watering hole and drive around till I kill some innocent person on their way home to see their kids it happened to my family so its only fair
    "PAY POLICE LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT"
    "WE ARE HERE TO PROTECT YOUR ASS NOT KISS IT"
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Lightbulb Helter skelter

Some people thought if you played the Beatles Helter Skelter album back wards - it some how told a hidden story.

These guys think if they play facts back wards - they will then show some hidden truth - It didn't work then and it wont happen now!

They never admitted who designed the exam. They never admitted the Mayor didn't bring in this new company. They never admitted the Mayor didn't hire the interviewers. They never admitted the involvement of the Fire Commissioner. They still try to make people believe that the Mayor made about a hundred or so people ignore the laws.

Those who have swallowed the "Party Line" and lived by the "Entitlement" mentality cant see past it. They feel as if their very reason for life has been challenged. Their identities are linked to these premises.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Is 4248 really as stupid as it seems?

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    They never admitted who designed the exam. They never admitted the Mayor didn't bring in this new company. They never admitted the Mayor didn't hire the interviewers. They never admitted the involvement of the Fire Commissioner. They still try to make people believe that the Mayor made about a hundred or so people ignore the laws.
    why would anyone admit to a pack of lies and can one person be so stupid I guess u must be one of the mayors pop boys in the fire department and u r the one who keeps bringing up the fire commish and its department so please enlighten us as to how they were involved

Is 4248 really as stupid as it seems? that would make for a good thread rez
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Question Is 4248 really as stupid as it seems?

You know, while I was hunting your comment replayed it self. I think you have a point, I am stupid!

Like Mr.Jimmy Griffin said, "I was the square guy who thought it was all legit!"

I believed all the same self centered stories people like you told others. I truly believed "Anyone Could Join" - I accepted the myth that "All Union Members were treated Equally" - I wanted to believe, "Racial Discrimination was ending."

I must be stupid because guys like you are pulling down $10-20-30,000.00 a year in over time! OVER TIME ! In many cases thats more in over time than the average tax payers brings home where you patrol or serve.

Yet you cry and harass anyone who tells the real story - you haven't stated facts - you can't. Your livelihood, your very self image is totally invested in false perceptions.

You believe the gun and badge was given to you as a sign. A sign of superiority and ultimate authority, not so! It was entrusted in you, you earned the right to wear it. You promised to "serve and protect" - to be law enforcement Officers.

The hypocrisy - could this be the root of the high suicide rate among Law Enforcement? Having to live on "Both Sides" everyday, then cross back and go home. What mental stresses that must create.

I am grateful that I am "Stupid" I fear that if I could agree with your views - I would become one of you!

Your right I must be stupid - its all about the money and perceived power.

good I am glad u finally get it
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Quote Originally Posted by unioncop View Post
    good I am glad u finally get it
    He DOES! and your silence to deny speaks.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Look at who is saying what

When it became obvious to one poster on this sight, that certain responders were "Overly Aggressive, rude, insulting and defense":

FisherRd wrote this:

To be fair, those guys face adverserial posts at a much higher rate than anyone else. I agree it came off as being a tad bit rude, but most of the posts directed at them are baiting.
    It has been explained in other related threads but a couple of knuckleheads keep throwing crap against the wall to see what will stick, and it just muddies the waters.
    ==============================================

I assume he "FisherRd" is or was law enforcement. He acts like, always sides with and batters anyone who questions the statements of Unioncop, Deerhunter, and BFLOCop.

When you have people who spout:

What other kinds of replies can you expect! They believe they have been cheated out of about a 10% raise.

So when asked how they justify taking $10-20-30,000.00 a year in overtime, one replied, "We aren't doing anything wrong, we are just collecting the interest on the money the Mayor owes us."

Then they cry about promotions that didn't goes as usual. Past Mayors always appointed or influenced appointments in all City Departments hiring. Its usually accepted and preached by these same people as the "Political Spoils" - this patronage relates to who ever won the last election.

When it went to the south everything was fine. Usually it was people of "color" complaining of discrimination. This time its white Irish males.

They cry and use the "Race Card" - they complain about organizations or laws that support equal rights or affirmative actions.

Times are changing gentlemen - your Dem Committee misjudged their Political Control. You elected this Mayor to rid yourself of the last one you cried about. Now you find this one isn't as "Manageable" as you thought he would be.

You created this "New Administration" now you have four more years to live with it. You can lie all you want, you can cry about pay, you can insult me or Linda or anyone else you want.

You are the new vocal minority, you will soon retire and be forgotten. So stash the cash while you can, your sons and daughters will pay for what your greed has left behind.

The more you cry and attack others, the more the average taxpayer learns about you!
    I am no angel, but I am not a hypocrite either!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    He DOES! and your silence to deny speaks.
    does it really? does it speak as loud as a billy club or could it be he keeps asking the same thing and looking for a different answer his questions have been asked and answered he (4248) is an appointed boy of the mayor and obviously one of his spin doctors
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Thumbs down False info again pseudocop

Quote Originally Posted by unioncop View Post
    does it really? does it speak as loud as a billy club or could it be he keeps asking the same thing and looking for a different answer his questions have been asked and answered he (4248) is an appointed boy of the mayor and obviously one of his spin doctors

First off I don't believe you are a Buffalo Police Officer. You sound like one of those guys who walk around with a scanner. If I am someone who was a , "appointed boy of the mayor" so are the Officers who post here.

I was hired by the City just like they were - I too was passed over - even with veterans credits - so they could reach past me for a Chiefs son. When my lawyer stepped in - "Oh, we lost his file, but now we found it."

I scored 13th (Highest) on a list of over 2000 applicants. I was hired after 58 others under me were employed - more than 60% of them sons of those already on the job.

You Sir are a sad excuse for an Officer, if you are one! Your miserable, rude and have anger issues. Please get help, call the EAP Rep. Do it before you hurt yourself or some innocent civilian - Please!

Maybe he is Simon Manka?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Maybe he is Simon Manka?
    no thats not me and I really dont even like Simon and he was gone before I even got on the job
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    First off I don't believe you are a Buffalo Police Officer. You sound like one of those guys who walk around with a scanner. If I am someone who was a , "appointed boy of the mayor" so are the Officers who post here.

I was hired by the City just like they were - I too was passed over - even with veterans credits - so they could reach past me for a Chiefs son. When my lawyer stepped in - "Oh, we lost his file, but now we found it."

I scored 13th (Highest) on a list of over 2000 applicants. I was hired after 58 others under me were employed - more than 60% of them sons of those already on the job.

You Sir are a sad excuse for an Officer, if you are one! Your miserable, rude and have anger issues. Please get help, call the EAP Rep. Do it before you hurt yourself or some innocent civilian - Please!
    copy and paste from other thread:
    well I am a Buffalo Police Officer and I do my job well I have earned many awards while protecting the citizens of the City of Buffalo just because I think u r a coward, a brown (mayor) noser and a sorry excuse for a fireman doesnt make me miserable rude maybe sometimes and no anger issues here I hate everyone the same
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Thread Information