Thread: Marlette for 5th District Erie County Legislator

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Marlette for 5th District Erie County Legislator

About

Guy Marlette, Deputy Supervisor and Councilman for the Town of Amherst is also Vice President of Alternative Information Systems, Inc. He and his wife Mary Ellen have lived in Snyder for the past 28 years. Having raised their two daughters, Sarah and Claire here, he understands the importance of services in the community and how it attributes to your quality of life..

As Vice president of Alternative Information Systems, Inc., a locally owned and operated technology company, Guy believes we need to apply business skills, principles, and financial expertise to government in order to ensure long term fiscal stability for Amherst and for Erie County.
    Under his leadership, Amherst has enjoyed fiscal stability, lower taxes, improved infrastructure, and increased programming for our residents. Guy believes there must be an emphasis on being out in the community, whether through volunteer activities and committee assignments is paramount to understanding your needs and the needs of the community. As your County legislative representative Guy will bring those same principles and same work ethic to ensure that you have a voice in County Hall.
    Guy is currently the Liaison to the Amherst Traffic Safety Board, Amherst Veterans Committee, Historic Preservation, Youth Board, Recreation Commission, Eggertsville Community Organization, UB, and Daemen College. He is also the Current President of The Hope Center Board, immediate Past President of the Rotary Club of Amherst South, Past President of the Youth Foundation, and past President of the Drug Court & Therapeutic Foundation.
    “The role of an elected official is to listen, to understand, and to be a part of the community.”

I know Guy Marlette personally .. he's a hard worker and very dedicated to his community

Quote Originally Posted by amherstwatch View Post
    I know Guy Marlette personally .. he's a hard worker and very dedicated to his community
    I agree that he would make an excellent legislator. I like him - I've got his sign on my lawn. Neighbors remind me that Tom Loughran cast the pivotal vote against a tax increase when Polancarz first took office - that was huge because they are both democrats and Tom refused to vote with his party. Neighbors are asking what has Tom Loughran done to not deserve reelection? Now, I'm asking.

Buffy, not that it matters now, but voting against a Tax increase is easy, no matter what party you belong to. Keep in mind that vote was 4 years ago. However it would be more relevant to ask what has Loughran actually done. What ideas has he brought forward. What has he done to actually help the district he represents with infrastructure improvements? The answer is that he is rated as the least productive member of the County Legislature. In 10 years he has not brought anything forward that questioned how the County operates, how to improve operations, or how to reduce taxes. I'm just saying results matter and accomplishments matter. Each and every year year, not a one time vote. Hopefully he actually accomplishes something in his next 2 years, other than just collecting his paycheck. We need elected officials willing to take the risk to take the risk and question the status quo.

Why did it take so long for a response during an election ? Three weeks!? Perhaps if you had answered earlier, you could have provided a service to Marlette's campaign.

Buffy, not that it matters now, but voting against a Tax increase is easy, no matter what party you belong to. Keep in mind that vote was 4 years ago. However it would be more relevant to ask what has Loughran actually done. What ideas has he brought forward. What has he done to actually help the district he represents with infrastructure improvements? The answer is that he is rated as the least productive member of the County Legislature. In 10 years he has not brought anything forward that questioned how the County operates, how to improve operations, or how to reduce taxes. I'm just saying results matter and accomplishments matter. Each and every year year, not a one time vote. Hopefully he actually accomplishes something in his next 2 years, other than just collecting his paycheck. We need elected officials willing to take the risk to take the risk and question the status quo.
    Don't you even look into the candidate's record (Loughran) before you post this crap?

And to say "The answer is that he is rated as the least productive member of the County Legislature." ?????????? I hardly say a flake like Paul Wolf (a former political patronage hack who went belly up) "rating" anyone (he also went after Ed Rath, John Mills and Lynne Dixon) is anything but an editorial and is anything but newsworthy.

His was an editorial by a crybaby, that's all.

For someone to have "amherstwatch" as a screenname and know so little about someone like Tom Loughran in outlandish!

Yes, he stopped a small tax increase from happening several years ago. Not only is that a good thing, amherstwatch, but policy-wise, he actions impacted future budgets, too, since no one would even dare propose increasing Erie County property taxes after Tom Loughran's move.

When a former county executive was trying to sell off the county’s old growth forest, and improperly cutting down prize trees (Cherry & Walnut) instead of approved Ash trees, and also messing up the environment, it was Tom Loughran that stopped that charade.

How about Mr. Loughran’s siding with the neighborhood around a crematory where the ashes of cremated people were floating down to everyone’s backyard barbeque for years? Chances are Tom’s opponent would have sided with the business, like other GOP legislators did.

Anti-fracking law in Erie County: Tom Loughran sponsored!

Anti-fracking waste/products on county roads law in Erie County: Tom Loughran sponsored!

More environmental friendly construction, or LEED standard new builds by Erie County government, and put into law: Tom Loughran sponsored!

Law banning micro beads that hurt our waterways: Supported by Tom Loughran.

Gee, what about Tom Loughran's advocacy for ECC North???? Excuse me, amherstwatch, was that not helping his district???

His opponents pretty much wanted to close the school and sell off the land to developers. Yeah, that's all Amherst needed, more unchecked development!!!!

How about downsizing the Erie County Legislature??? Tom led the way on that one.

Who was there for Amherst libraries and Amherst culturals when Chris Collins tried to defund them? Tom Loughran. That's who! And without raising taxes, too.

Get a life, amherstwatch, or maybe just start to "watch" what's going on in Amherst, because after reading your nonsense, seems to me you are not watching anything. Just spouting out political hits like here.

PLEASE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by buffy View Post
    Why did it take so long for a response during an election ? Three weeks!? Perhaps if you had answered earlier, you could have provided a service to Marlette's campaign.
    His timing is just as dimwitted as his hit piece!

What a total tool!!!!! And fool.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    When a former county executive was trying to sell off the county’s old growth forest, and improperly cutting down prize trees (Cherry & Walnut) instead of approved Ash trees, and also messing up the environment, it was Tom Loughran that stopped that charade.
    That's a little unfair. We have seen town boards (controlled by either major party) pave over any type of tree to put up strip malls or new sub divisions while other areas rot away. Just look what the Erie County Democratic Party supported democratic candidates have done to the town of Cheektowaga.

How about Mr. Loughran’s siding with the neighborhood around a crematory where the ashes of cremated people were floating down to everyone’s backyard barbeque for years? Chances are Tom’s opponent would have sided with the business, like other GOP legislators did.
    This was valid. I could see property/home owners not wanting to have human ashes falling on their back yard picnics. BUT, on the other hand did the crematory have a filtering system in place that truly eliminated that issue?

Anti-fracking law in Erie County: Tom Loughran sponsored!

Anti-fracking waste/products on county roads law in Erie County: Tom Loughran sponsored!
    Was there really an area in Erie County to frack for gas or was this just some soap box stance to take?

More environmental friendly construction, or LEED standard new builds by Erie County government, and put into law: Tom Loughran sponsored!
    http://www.leed.net/

We've all seen the signs indicating a new construction project is underway. In this day and age more and more are becoming environmentally conscientious. What does that mean for those who are in the Construction field? It means they need to be on the cutting edge of green technology.

What is LEED? Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is basically a third-party certification program. It is a nationally accepted organization for design, operation and construction of high performance green buildings. This ensures the buildings are environmentally compatible, provide a healthy work environment and are profitable.

LEED certified buildings are commanding higher rental rates and great occupancy than the non-green buildings. This trend cannot help but impact the Investment community. The supply while gradually increasing is not keeping up with the demand for green buildings. LEED New Construction buildings are awarded points for sustainability for things like energy-efficient lighting, low-flow plumbing fixtures and collection of water to name a few.

Recycled construction materials and energy efficient appliances also impact the point rating system. In the political climate of today's world, as the earth's natural resources are being depleted at an alarming rate the construction industry is being compelled to look at alternatives to traditional construction materials and styles.

More and more legislation is being passed that impacts not only zoning but environmental impact for new construction. LEED New Construction certification and Energy Star ratings seem to be the future of construction projects. It's important to not only build beautiful buildings but buildings that are energy efficient, healthy for their occupants to exist within and that they not harm the environment.

Those of us who populate those buildings can feel good about the part we are doing to help the environment and preserve what is left of the environment after years and years of taking natural resources for granted. Green technology as it continues to catch on will generate additional jobs and challenge conventional wisdoms. Look what happened in the auto industry with the electric cars. It didn't really catch on despite the fact that many who had the opportunity to test drive them wanted to keep them. Instead they were basically scrapped because of big business. Now we have hybrids and more and more companies are looking for ways to create cars that are more environmentally friendly.

Interest in green technology will stimulate job-market growth, and open up new business venues as it continues to catch on. Just like any other market, competition is healthy and a monopoly is not. Increasing public awareness is crucial to the continued expansion of LEED New Construction certification and the advancement of green technology in construction projects.

So in summary, what is the impact of LEED New Construction?

LEED New Construction buildings have higher occupancy than non-LEED certified.
    LEED New Construction buildings rent for a higher dollar amount per square feet than non-LEED certified buildings.
    Market demand for LEED New Construction buildings is higher than for non-LEED certified buildings.
    Was this really an issue to worry about when Erie County builds something for itself? Specially when you add any additional cost? I'm not saying it's a bad thing but how does this impact us property owners? We are the ones who pay for this stuff.

Law banning micro beads that hurt our waterways: Supported by Tom Loughran.
    This is valid. If the micro beads were truly showing up in our water ways this was a good move. All our water ways usually connect to our oceans down stream. I don't think this was a county issue though. Maybe state or federal level because of the possible impact micro beads could have on the environment.

Gee, what about Tom Loughran's advocacy for ECC North???? Excuse me, amherstwatch, was that not helping his district???
    ECC should have completely stayed in the City of Buffalo. What was Tom advocating for?

His opponents pretty much wanted to close the school and sell off the land to developers. Yeah, that's all Amherst needed, more unchecked development!!!!
    Don't even go there. We have seen unchecked development happening in Erie County for years. It doesn't make a difference which political party has controlled the Erie County Legislature.

Who was there for Amherst libraries and Amherst culturals when Chris Collins tried to defund them? Tom Loughran. That's who! And without raising taxes, too.
    Lower the budgets or eliminate them?

I'm not going to get into a back and forth with Breezy, who is probably Bill Pauly, but most of what he mentioned was outside of Tom Loughran's District. He was also NOT the primary sponsor on those resolutions, he simply signed on as a co-sponsor to an initiative brought forward by someone else. In fact most of what was mentioned was supported by both parties. He did in fact vote against the Tax increase, but also voted 100's of time to increase spending in the County Budget. The entire Legislature hides that spending because of increased assessments. He also voted to increase the tuition at ECC North and has never put forward one resolution to cut costs or control spending. I still say there is a difference between bringing forward the idea verses just voting on someone else's work product.

The problem with Gov't at all levels is this Dem vs. Rep mentality which is immediately where Breezy went. That alone says a lot.
    Name calling, insults, is uncalled for.

As far as Paul Wolf is concerned, I don't know him, but his article was based upon the information that he researched and FOILed. And yes many in the Leg are not very productive, but the response was directed to the question that Buffy asked.

Buffy I only saw your post yesterday, which is why I just answered it.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    That's a little unfair. We have seen town boards (controlled by either major party) pave over any type of tree to put up strip malls or new sub divisions while other areas rot away. Just look what the Erie County Democratic Party supported democratic candidates have done to the town of Cheektowaga.
    Can't say my post should make me answer for Town Boards, just refuting the entirely inaccurate assertions made by the so-called amherstwatch (not sure what he's watching, not politics for sure).

Anyway, can't say I support urban sprawl.

The 'trees' are contained in several forest lots in southern Erie County - and they are forests.

When someone cuts down a $3,000 tree, instead of a $30 tree (that also helps the environment when cut down) that is a problem!

This was valid. I could see property/home owners not wanting to have human ashes falling on their back yard picnics. BUT, on the other hand did the crematory have a filtering system in place that truly eliminated that issue?
    Just listing another leadership thing Mr. Loughran fought for, but yeah, I would not want that by my home either.

Filter system obviously did not ever work.

Was there really an area in Erie County to frack for gas or was this just some soap box stance to take?
    Yes, southern Erie County, and yes, there was interest from big oil to introduce hydro-fracking to Southtown communities, and GOP/Conservative political support to do just that; even though residents were horrified and equally-horrified about cancer-causing fracking byproducts and the possibility of using fracking byproducts to melt snow on roadways as a cheaper alternative to rock salt.

Serious business indeed, and good leadership on the part of Tom Loughran, in my view.

Was this really an issue to worry about when Erie County builds something for itself? Specially when you add any additional cost? I'm not saying it's a bad thing but how does this impact us property owners? We are the ones who pay for this stuff.
    Good for the environment for future buildings and cheaper utility costs for what I've read, and sends an appropriate message.

ECC should have completely stayed in the City of Buffalo. What was Tom advocating for?
    From what I've read, Tom was advocating for an alternative to four-year institutions for Amherst families, or sometime for folks who could not get into UB or Canisius, and nearby right in peoples' own community like ECC North, and for an institution that is located in Tom's district. And having something like ECC North available to a community that pays more than their fair share of property taxes.

Plus, with a vibrant ECC North, students will stay in Erie County for community college, as opposed to going to Niagara County Community College, as a lot of them are now doing, and with them staying in Erie County and not going to NCCC, property taxpayers (US) would not have to continue to be charged millions in "charge back' fees as we are today.

Don't even go there. We have seen unchecked development happening in Erie County for years. It doesn't make a difference which political party has controlled the Erie County Legislature.
    I've read extensively of the explosion of opposition to unwanted development in Amherst, and it was also said that this issue led to a new DEM town board for Amherst, and Mr. Loughran also benefitted from opposing overdevelopment in Amherst, according to articles in the Buffalo News.

But don't make the mistake to ask amherstwatch, as he obviously does not watch Amherst.

LOL

Lower the budgets or eliminate them?
    They are drivers of economic sustainability and growth, according to experts.

Hopefully the days when Chris Collins would slash and burn cultural treasures are gone.

I just do not see my property taxes going down that much with the Pulaski Day Parade or the Lancaster Opera House not getting a few thousand dollars in support.

PLEASE!!!

Having followed Erie County government for a long time, I can attest to the fact that amherstwatch is WRONG in his comments about Tom Loughran.

I'm not going to get into a back and forth with Breezy, who is probably Bill Pauly, but most of what he mentioned was outside of Tom Loughran's District. He was also NOT the primary sponsor on those resolutions, he simply signed on as a co-sponsor to an initiative brought forward by someone else. In fact most of what was mentioned was supported by both parties. He did in fact vote against the Tax increase, but also voted 100's of time to increase spending in the County Budget. The entire Legislature hides that spending because of increased assessments. He also voted to increase the tuition at ECC North and has never put forward one resolution to cut costs or control spending. I still say there is a difference between bringing forward the idea verses just voting on someone else's work product.

The problem with Gov't at all levels is this Dem vs. Rep mentality which is immediately where Breezy went. That alone says a lot.
    Name calling, insults, is uncalled for.

As far as Paul Wolf is concerned, I don't know him, but his article was based upon the information that he researched and FOILed. And yes many in the Leg are not very productive, but the response was directed to the question that Buffy asked.

Buffy I only saw your post yesterday, which is why I just answered it.
    Just wait a minute, amherstwatch.

When you lie about someone entirely like you did in your original post about Tom Loughran, isn't that no better than "name calling and insults" ????? Gotta say I could have been much more harsh, because you would have had that coming to you. I thought I was rather tame, being the first time I had to challenge something you wrote.

And where was the "name calling and insults" anyway?????????????? I just reread my comment and had to ask.

My posts are always measured to the appropriate tone as the person's post I am replying to.

Maybe you should reread your original post and make a retraction because you were wrong.
    Last edited by Breezy; November 26th, 2015 at 01:37 PM. Reason: just reread my comment and had to ask

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I'm not going to get into a back and forth with Breezy, who is probably Bill Pauly, but most of what he mentioned was outside of Tom Loughran's District. .

Tell everyone who you are.

Thread Information