Thread: This is sickening

This is sickening

New York was among 36 states that saw a year-over-year increase in graduation rates

WASHINGTON - The statewide graduation rate at New York high schools increased 1 percentage point to 77.8 percent in the 2013-14 school year, according to preliminary data released Monday by the National Center for Education Statistics.
    New York was among 36 states that saw a year-over-year increase in graduation rates. States with the biggest gains were Alabama, Delaware, Illinois, Oregon and West Virginia, the Education Department reported.

Delaware’s graduation rate jumped 6.6 percentage points to 87 percent and Alabama’s rose 6.3 percentage points to 86.3 percent.

The District of Columbia ranked last with a 61.4 percent rate while Iowa led the nation with 90.5 percent of students finishing secondary school.

Nationally, New York ranked in the bottom dozen states. The Empire State’s graduation rate was 0.2 percentage points higher than Mississippi’s 77.6 percent.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...3-14/74229790/With all the money spent on education in NYS, to be in the bottom twelve, .2% above Mississippi. It truly is evidence that money isn't the answer, IMHO.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    With all the money spent on education in NYS, to be in the bottom twelve, .2% above Mississippi. It truly is evidence that money isn't the answer, IMHO.
    Money may not be the answer, but graduation rates are hardly a consistent measure. The standards are not the same and legitimate comparisons are difficult. But you have your agenda so what I say is likely inconsequential.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    Money may not be the answer, but graduation rates are hardly a consistent measure. The standards are not the same and legitimate comparisons are difficult. But you have your agenda so what I say is likely inconsequential.
    What is her agenda do you suppose?

Seems like it's just math to me, other than we can say the cost of education for the what we get is not a good value. That is the only conclusion I can make.

The cost of education is being driven up by mandates, in particular special education mandates that are quite expensive. If you repeal those mandates, costs come way down. SpED per pupil cost is nearing $30K, Gen ed is less than half that. Other states have lower classification rates because they know it's expensive.

The cost of education is being driven up by mandates, in particular special education mandates that are quite expensive. If you repeal those mandates, costs come way down. SpED per pupil cost is nearing $30K, Gen ed is less than half that. Other states have lower classification rates because they know it's expensive.

Warning - union talking point alert! The cost of education is too high because we have incompetence locked in, monster pensions and way too heavy top end. Do not blame it on the weak in society!
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    What is her agenda do you suppose?

Seems like it's just math to me, other than we can say the cost of education for the what we get is not a good value. That is the only conclusion I can make.
    No bang for our buck

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Warning - union talking point alert! The cost of education is too high because we have incompetence locked in, monster pensions and way too heavy top end. Do not blame it on the weak in society!
    Not "blaming" anything on anyone. The per pupil cost is high because of the special education classification rate. The payroll cost of a general education student (in Buffalo) is $10K and the payroll cost of a special education student in Buffalo is almost $25K. In "shi-shi" districts, the payroll costs are higher for both.

Not "blaming" anything on anyone. The per pupil cost is high because of the special education classification rate. The payroll cost of a general education student (in Buffalo) is $10K and the payroll cost of a special education student in Buffalo is almost $25K. In "shi-shi" districts, the payroll costs are higher for both.
    Payroll cost? Just a tricked up number to play with, the fact remains the cost of public school in NY, and the city of Buffalo especially, is too outrageously high because we have incompetence locked in, monster pensions and way too heavy top end.

The cost of a great education can be relatively low if you remove the ridiculous pensions and 80% of the so obviously unneeded administrators, and the State and Federal over lords! Remove the lazy good for nothing teachers and empower the ones who really care. In other words get the leeches out of the system.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Oh and BTW 10k per student per year is so wrong it has toi be criminal! Does not speak well at all for the educating system. I will but my oldest daughter up against the best the city has and our cost was $300 - yes THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS per year! So 10k CRIMINAL! Highway robbery...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Oh and BTW 10k per student per year is so wrong it has toi be criminal! Does not speak well at all for the educating system. I will but my oldest daughter up against the best the city has and our cost was $300 - yes THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS per year! So 10k CRIMINAL! Highway robbery...
    yeah, it makes sense that you value your labor at nothing (i.e. lost wages). Unless your kid sat in front of a computer all day or alone all day unsupervised. When did you decide your kids home alone, 5 years old? 6?

Thread Information