Thread: Question for one of you smart guys or gals

Question for one of you smart guys or gals

If E Aurora does dissolve who picks up the tab for the service? Will the county just be forced to do this? or will this be into the town?
    Last edited by steven; November 14th, 2009 at 12:32 AM.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    If E Aurora does dissolve who picks up the tab for the service? Will the county just be forced to do this? or will this be into the town?

That's my honest answer.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

What services does the village provide?
    Police?
    Firefighters? (volunteer)
    Library? (County)
    Streets or Public Works?
    Water?
    Sewers?
    Some of these could be taken over by the town, or if, say the town used the Sheriff's Patrol or State Troopers, they could be expanded into the village, I suppose.
    Think you can trust the government?
    Ask an Indian!

It would be the town and whomever they have contracted for any services not directly performed by the town.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

How does Clarence do it? I know they use the state police,

Which brings me to the thought,, does this area seem over policed to anyone?

I lived in other states and saw half the cops I see here,,we must be an unruly bunch.

sorry to derail, getting back,, I think if people could see past the brainwashing they would do just fine with consolidation etc.

Ps I just have a sneaking suspicion that Stevenco is not gonna last : (

Smile fp2206

The town of aurora will have to pick up the tab, which should be a lot smaller when the village dissolves. But I am surprised the village of E Aurora where a lot of the "old money" resides wants to be abolished. I thought the big bucks people resided in that area. Here on Grand Island we have a local police force, sheriffs, and state police. You cannot go anywhere on the island without seeing a police car. A example, on haloween night on Jamestown rd , a very nice safe place, I was with about 20 parents with our kids. A Grand Island police car pulled up to the trick and treaters. He rolled down his window and let his K9 dog bark out the window at us. Then without saying a word he drove off. Nice huh. This is way over policed. Just my thought on EA.

If the village is disincorporated, most of the services like water, sewer, sidewalk maintenance, street lighting, etc as well as the obligation for the village debt will be still be paid for those residents who get those services through some kind of special assessment district. Some of the services, like the village police, may or may not be disbanded. If the village police isn't disbanded, then the money to pay for that will also come from the special assessment. If the police force is expanded to cover the entire town, then the entire town will pay for the service. The town could also simply disband the village police force and depend upon whatever service the town gets from Erie County and the State Police.

i similar subject came uop at work the other day... according to one of my coworkers, it takes on average 15 minutes from the 911 call to have police officer at his house in clarence.

For me, we are talking less than 2 minutes, most of the time less than a minute at my house. I call 911 we are talking literal seconds...

Something to consider.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

That's odd, I lived in Clarence and the police

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    i similar subject came uop at work the other day... according to one of my coworkers, it takes on average 15 minutes from the 911 call to have police officer at his house in clarence.

For me, we are talking less than 2 minutes, most of the time less than a minute at my house. I call 911 we are talking literal seconds...

Something to consider.
    came quickly enough. In Clarence, there appeared to be no problems whatsoever. Not too many police and the taxes there was not too too bad, unless you bought a 600 thousand dollar house. They used the state police. With Clarence, you didn't have a village to contend with. There was however, Clarence Center, (small) and in the Hallow (small). Now when you talk about places like Lancaster, the village ~~ the town, I pay more taxes there. Too many police, too many of a lot of things. The government has 12 people!! Disolve the villages and merge with the town and eliminate the village administration.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    came quickly enough. In Clarence, there appeared to be no problems whatsoever. Not too many police and the taxes there was not too too bad, unless you bought a 600 thousand dollar house. They used the state police. With Clarence, you didn't have a village to contend with. There was however, Clarence Center, (small) and in the Hallow (small). Now when you talk about places like Lancaster, the village ~~ the town, I pay more taxes there. Too many police, too many of a lot of things. The government has 12 people!! Disolve the villages and merge with the town and eliminate the village administration.
    I think the difference between Clarence and Lancaster is the population. Clarence is a lot more rural than Lancaster (probably like Lancaster was 20-25 years ago). As you said, the two hamlets in the town are small. There's probably some public water service but probably no public sewer (and its accompanying debt), and whoever gets those services already is in a special assessment district, so those charges would only show up on their tax bills.

EMT and police calls in rural towns are always iffy because they do depend upon VFD/ambulance and the sheriff/state police. It's takes longer for volunteer units than for paid professional units to respond, and the sheriff/state police may not be in/near the area when a call comes in. That's why many villages opted for their own police forces and why most of the more populous towns have their own town police forces. Some suburban villages/towns opt for partially paid professional fire departments and/or EMT units. I think that Kenmore may have a partially paid professional fire department, and I know that NT has recently gone that route. When I lived in the town of Colonie outside Albany (very similar to Amherst), the fire department was volunteer but received tax support and the EMTs were paid professionals.

I could be wrong, but we did have public

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    I think the difference between Clarence and Lancaster is the population. Clarence is a lot more rural than Lancaster (probably like Lancaster was 20-25 years ago). As you said, the two hamlets in the town are small. There's probably some public water service but probably no public sewer (and its accompanying debt), and whoever gets those services already is in a special assessment district, so those charges would only show up on their tax bills.

EMT and police calls in rural towns are always iffy because they do depend upon VFD/ambulance and the sheriff/state police. It's takes longer for volunteer units than for paid professional units to respond, and the sheriff/state police may not be in/near the area when a call comes in. That's why many villages opted for their own police forces and why most of the more populous towns have their own town police forces. Some suburban villages/towns opt for partially paid professional fire departments and/or EMT units. I think that Kenmore may have a partially paid professional fire department, and I know that NT has recently gone that route. When I lived in the town of Colonie outside Albany (very similar to Amherst), the fire department was volunteer but received tax support and the EMTs were paid professionals.
    sewers. And Clarence is not as rural as it use to be. They do however, have a moritorium on housing, approximately 300 or so new builds. Lancaster is a third more. But as far as fire and ambulence, no problem in Clarence, the responders were right on. We have on the other hand, have had police take longer in Lancaster, poor sewer systems here where not enough water to put out fires. A situation apparently that happened here in Lancaster a few years ago. The house burnt to the ground. No water pressure. For the most part Clarence is a sound community.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Not too many police and the taxes there was not too too bad, unless you bought a 600 thousand dollar house.
    Have you checked their tax rates recently?

Quote Originally Posted by RJson View Post
    Clarence Central - $14.237198; Williamsville Central - $17.164376; and Akron Central - $14.816023.
    Clarence Center and Clarence Hollow do not have their own town officials, they are governed by the Clarence town board.

Rates are lower than Lancaster,

Quote Originally Posted by RJson View Post
    How do I know, just moved from there. Had a bigger house, paid less.

Thread Information