Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Political fighting?

Lightbulb Political fighting?

Does anyone know what is going on with the Island elections? Hearing there is a big fuss over political signs. What is this all about?

most likely its liberal democrats whining about the same freedoms they wish to supress for others.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Grand Island Candidates Upset After Political Signs are Taken Down
    By Alex Haight
    Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 11:11 PM EDT

GRAND ISLAND, N.Y. -- Town Supervisor Candidate Nathan McMurray and Town Council Candidates Beverly Kinney and Cyndy Montana are expressing their disgust with the current administration after many of their campaign signs were taken down over the last week.

"I spent a whole week playing around with signs while my opponent was walking door-to-door campaigning in a different neighborhood and I didn't get to do any of that this week," Kinney said. "This is a vital time for us candidates to be on the street, going door-to-door, especially new candidates that have to get their names out there."

Current Town Supervisor Mary Cooke says the signs were taken down at the direction of the Code Enforcement Office, and that some of her signs have even been taken down as a result.

She says the signs were taken down because they violated a town code that's been around since 1982.

Kinney ran for town supervisor two years ago, and said she never ran into this issue until now.

Cooke says it's always been enforced.

"I've had it enforced every election that I've been involved in over my career in town government, and it just seems probably like that to some people who might be new at it, because there's so many people involved and there's so many more signs," Cooke said.

Cooke says the biggest point of the code is making sure that signs are far enough back off the road so that all directions of traffic can be seen by drivers and bicyclists.

Montana says if the signs were so unsafe, why weren't they dealt with before the primary?

"So, for 45 days it didn't matter that it wasn't safe and now they're taking the signs down saying they're in the right of way, we have to make sure they're safe. That sounds a little shady to me," Montana said.

Cooke says she and the board were notified before the signs were removed.

She says that political party chairs were also informed.

McMurray, Kinney and Montana say they have never been contacted by anyone, and if they had, they said this whole debacle could have been avoided.

"We should have been notified, and we should have been given time to get our signs in compliance to the code," Montana said.

McMurray says he has replaced some of his signs three times.

He says he has reached out to the Code Enforcement Office to make sure he is in compliance and has yet to get a response.

"We can't keep doing this. I have a job. I'm trying to run for this office because I love Grand Island and they're just making it impossible to do normal things that go along with campaigns," McMurray said.

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/buffalo/n...aken-down.html

Georgia L Schlager

Town code -
    Political sign: a nonpermanent sign that supports or opposes any political candidate, political issue, political referendum or political party.
    (1)
    Political signs shall be placed only on private property.
    (2)
    Such signs shall not block any intersection clear sight triangle.
    (3)
    Such signs, if they apply to an election, shall only be permitted for 45 days before the election to which they apply and shall be removed seven days after the election to which they apply, except that signs for primaries may be retained through the general election.

Georgia L Schlager

Sounds like Political double standards and double talk !

If there's a 45 day limit - "shall only be permitted for 45 days before the election"

how can a primary sign stay up until the November vote ? "except that signs for primaries may be retained through the general election".

How can a small sign disrupt the line of sight for a traffic intersection or sign ?

I call Political interference against new candidates.

Unless the code is strictly enforced equally - its obvious selective enforcement.

The Code Enforcement Officer like in most Governments is a Patronage post - enough said - PARTY PLAYER !

Which Party Controls Grand Island ?
    Last edited by 4248; September 26th, 2015 at 10:20 AM.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

I am amused people are wanting political signs up at all. They are a landscape nightmare. If a person wants to win a election they should actually do something good in the community, then when newspapers post candidates they can say what good they have done. But most politicians say or post whatever they want , they after elected do nothing they promised. So any political candidate should not just talk the talk they should walk that talk. To see a name on a sign and vote for that name not knowing a thing about that person is what some say is the low intelligent voter. Get to know a candidate as best you can, see if they actually have done something or at least tried to do something good before you vote for them.

So, exactly how should new people wanting to run for office - "Do good things" and then let you know about it ?

If a person volunteers for some Politically motivated actions/committee/clubs - does that count ?

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    So, exactly how should new people wanting to run for office - "Do good things" and then let you know about it ?

If a person volunteers for some Politically motivated actions/committee/clubs - does that count ?
    When election time comes around they put out their resume during meet the candidates nite or put in newspapers.. These resumes are verified by a group like womans league of voters to make sure they are valid . PAC's could count against you depending on the pac, let the voters decide.

Quote Originally Posted by fp2206 View Post
    When election time comes around they put out their resume during meet the candidates nite or put in newspapers.. These resumes are verified by a group like womans league of voters to make sure they are valid . PAC's could count against you depending on the pac, let the voters decide.
    Cool - Heres one:

Volunteers for multiple volunteer groups and charities.
    Ran multiple companies and great managements skills/
    Years of accounting work.
    Church going family man.
    Endorsed by D/I/R/Can IOU Union

Hows that look -

-----------------------------------
    Not being smarky - just askin -

Why is Mike Madigan's campaign account $4,000 in the red, according to the BOE? That's completely illegal.
    This website makes money off of a depraved and idiotic conspiracy theory.

Nobody follows the rules/laws when it comes to BOE.

The Board of Elections is run by "Party Faithful" who care more about their own paychecks than they do enforcement or over sight.

The only time the BOE takes actions is when they are trying to cull the heard for their Party's benefit .

If they enforced the rules/laws - the majority of Politicians would be charged .

Cool - Heres one:

Volunteers for multiple volunteer groups and charities.
    Ran multiple companies and great managements skills/
    Years of accounting work.
    Church going family man.
    Endorsed by D/I/R/Can IOU Union

Hows that look -

Not being smarky - just askin -
    Looks good, but I bet the punch line will be like he ended up in prison for being a child molester.

Cool - Heres one:

Volunteers for multiple volunteer groups and charities. - These groups were all fund raisers for his campaign !

Ran multiple companies and great managements skills/ - He was fired from every management job he had !

Years of accounting work. - indicted for embezzlement = while doing a five year sentence he did the books for the gambling boss !

Church going family man. - caught dipping into the donation box to take his family to Disney Land !

Endorsed by D/I/R/Can IOU Union - takes money from anyone and owes everyone favors

Mailers - campaign fliers - paid news articles aren't "Fact Checked" - the are just paid for.

Party's are good at fluff and stuff !

My favorite is, "Look at what we do for you - we do all this for our community"

Working mans translation = "Everything we do is tax funded and we serve those who support us" literally !

Not being smarky - -
    Last edited by 4248; September 27th, 2015 at 06:00 PM.

Question

Cool - Heres one:

Volunteers for multiple volunteer groups and charities. - These groups were all fund raisers for his campaign !

Ran multiple companies and great managements skills/ - He was fired from every management job he had !

Years of accounting work. - indicted for embezzlement = while doing a five year sentence he did the books for the gambling boss !

Church going family man. - caught dipping into the donation box to take his family to Disney Land !

Endorsed by D/I/R/Can IOU Union - takes money from anyone and owes everyone favors

Mailers - campaign fliers - paid news articles aren't "Fact Checked" - the are just paid for.

Party's are good at fluff and stuff !

My favorite is, "Look at what we do for you - we do all this for our community"

Working mans translation = "Everything we do is tax funded and we serve those who support us" literally !

Not being smarky - -
    Wow, I figured there would be a punch line.Can a charity be for a political movement? Does the tax code recognize political charities for deductions?

I seen this posted in island dispatch blog by sportsman " was at candidates nite on the Island. I was amazed at 3 individuals running against the incumbents. Talk about 3 stooges. James Maloney is suing the Island?Real nice way to get my vote Cindy Montana is criticizing the elderly (over 50) voters? Nathan McMurray says he is the best person EVER to run for town supervisor?Natham brings up Mary Cooke is a woman , no kidding Nathan.Beverly Kinney never mentioned her name like we all knew who she was. These 3 stooges clap for each other in unison after each one said something. Some class. Their solution to bringing back GI blvd is to plant flowers. These 3 should take their stupid signs which I believe they took down themselves and go back to politics 101 class. They were a disgrace to us lifelong islanders.The rest of those on stage will get my vote. They may not be the best ever Nathan but they are good people trying to do good for the Island."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information