Thread: Cash gets big salary but performance expectations not set

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Cash gets big salary but performance expectations not set

School chief’s 4-year deal pays a $275,000 salary

The four-year employment contract for incoming Buffalo School Superintendent Kriner Cash makes him the highest paid leader of any major urban school district in the state, but does not lay out any specific performance expectations. Those will be set later. Moreover, Cash’s contract includes unusually specific communication procedures designed to prevent individual board members from telling him what to do without official board authorization.

Cash’s $275,000 salary, his asking price and roughly what he made as Memphis superintendent, is not just a record-breaker for Buffalo Public Schools. His salary exceeds the base salary of the state education commissioner and the leaders of giant urban districts like New York City and Chicago. Those leaders, however, receive other compensating perks that Cash won’t be getting. A number of other downstate school districts also pay their superintendents more than Cash. Among major upstate cities, however, Cash’s base salary is the most generous.

Read the full article before commenting

I hope this works out for the kids. I really don't understand the difficulty in running a school system. Make an environment where the kids want to learn, remove any kids that make it difficult for the rest of the kids and fire incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post

School chief’s 4-year deal pays a $275,000 salary

Read the full article before commenting

I really don't understand the difficulty in running a school system....remove any kids that make it difficult for the rest of the kids
    What you don't understand is the premise of public education. It would have been fantastic for my my kids if their school kicked out the bottom half of their classes. Not so good for two of my kids if the school kicked out the bottom 80 percent. Fantastic for one if the school kicked out the bottom 99 percent.

Physically and mentally handicapped children make it difficult for other children. should they be "kicked out"?

The purpose of public education is to educate the public regardless of their emotional, mental, or physical capabilities.

Teachers who can't educate the kids they have simply don't have the job skills for the job they have.

If a ditch digger needs to be able to throw a shovel full of dirt 6 feet in the air to dig a particular ditch, but he can only manager to throw it 3 feet, then he ain't the one for that job.

Changing the size of the ditch isn't the answer. Changing the ditch digger is needed.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I know what the premise is. Some people try to over generalize what they think "public education" should be.

When I say remove any kids that make it difficult for the rest of the kids doesn't mean "move 25% percent or more" Face it, some kids are just piss pots. Some kids need a stricter environment compared to others. Why even waste my time with some of the BS you post. " Fantastic for one if the school kicked out the bottom 99 percent."

Physically and mentally handicapped children may be harder to teach and the other kids best interest should be taken into consideration. I don't think it would be in the best interest of a classroom of 25 kids to have 3 kids that are truly mentally handicapped in that class. They need more attention compared the other children. Physically handicapped is different than mentally handicapped. Now stop your BS because I did not say "Kicked out". They would just be a setting that was more beneficial to their needs.

As teachers go we all know there are some that are incompetent while others are not. Phil Rumor may have a different opinion on that but he's delusional if he thinks every teacher is qualified no matter what the situation is.

One thing you can't expect is for a teacher to be a baby sitter. If you have a class of 25 kids and 2 are piss pots continually interrupting the class you can't expect the teacher to generate good results. When I went to school 43 the piss pots got wacked on the ass. Toned them done some. Now teachers are not allowed to paddle kids. I think that makes it much more difficult to control the class. Then you get parents that believe their children are god's gift to man kind defending what their kids do while in fact they are just spoiled piss pots.

If a ditch digger needs to be able to throw a shovel full of dirt 6 feet in the air to dig a particular ditch, but he can only manager to throw it 3 feet, then he ain't the one for that job.

If a ditch digger needs to be able to throw a shovel full of dirt 6 feet in the air to dig a particular ditch but the boss gives him a rubber shovel that hinders the distance who's fault is it? The ditch digger or the boss?

Changing the size of the ditch isn't the answer. Changing the ditch digger is needed.
    Changing the size of the ditch isn't the answer. Changing the boss is needed.

See how that works? Two different points of view.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Teachers who can't educate the kids they have simply don't have the job skills for the job they have.
    You haven't defined "teach". Your statement is too ambiguous.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post

All analogies fail at some point and there's no need for an analogy here. If you really want to apply your analogy, the ditch digger has a spoon, not a shovel. When the ditch digger asks for a shovel the ditch digger is told, "Make do! You don't see that guy over there with the shovel complaining do you?"

But in any case, these original statements come from someone who is incapable of establishing concise definitions.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    You haven't defined "teach". Your statement is too ambiguous.

Did what I post make any sense?

Did what I post make any sense?
    Yes. However, there are some issues. Evidence suggests (as far as standardized tests go) that disruptive or "handicapped" kids (i.e. any one student needing additional resources or attention) do not adversely impact test scores on standardized tests. However, evidence also suggests that teachers have minimal impact on standardized test scores. What we need to address is the measure of learning.
    We need to address
    1) Reward of an individual
    2) Reward of a group
    3) Reward of a class / school

Through working *with* individuals who require additional resources, everyone benefits. However, punishment cannot be absent either. The issues are complex...
    Definitely more complex than nogods can understand.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    May I ask what do the teacher think of Mr. Cash?

May I ask what do the teacher think of Mr. Cash?
    I can't speak for all teachers. I would say the general consensus is wary. We'll cooperate with anyone who has the best interest of students in mind.
    From my perspective, the superintendent doesn't matter all that much. NYSED controls the policy and until they are willing to give teachers / schools more flexibility in designing and implementing curriculum, we're "stuck".

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    WOuld it help teachers if there was some flexibility in the make up of the class. I know you can completely pick and choose the students but are there cases where some kids would fit better in a different class of kids?

lets cap public sector workers at $100,000. including benefits.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

WOuld it help teachers if there was some flexibility in the make up of the class. I know you can completely pick and choose the students but are there cases where some kids would fit better in a different class of kids?
    Here's the thing. Some teachers don't mind 'difficult' students and some do. Sometimes, some classes become a dumping ground so to speak for such students. The only way that's going to change is if the curriculum moves away from 'test prep'.
    A year is too long for some kids, not long enough for others, really depends.

Thread Information