Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster Airport altercation could lead to flight school termination

Lancaster Airport altercation could lead to flight school termination

At the town board pre-meeting work session Supervisor Dino Fudoli alerted the board members that there was an incident at the Lancaster Airport the past week and a police report was filed. One of the pilots was confronted by a resident at the airport. There was shouting match between resident Jeff Buza and a pilot from the flight school. There was no arrest.

According to the resident the pilot promised not to purposely fly planes over his house with the intent of harassing him. Fudoli said he was going to reach out to the airport and get their take on it and to talk with the flight school involved in the incident.

Fudoli declared that the gentleman who researched the matter…the flight school is something separate from the airport and that may be something the town is responsible for, and the FAA, as to whether they are allowed to have a flight school there. Fudoli asked Town Attorney John Dudziak to research the matter regarding a flight school operating in a nonconforming use airport and get back to him.

Fudoli then declared that although the resident said the harassing has stopped since the incident occurred he would still like to reach out to the flight school and advise they stop harassing the individual who took it upon himself to go to the airport and confront the pilot.

Resident addresses matter

Resident Carmen Hangauer who lives in the vicinity of the harassing addressed the board on the matter. “That resident contacted us,” Hangauer is a core member of the Safe Aviation Coalition of Lancaster (SACL).

“We in turn reached out to Carl Kohl; Kohl is the Manager of the FAA’s Flight Standard’s District Office 23. He stated to us…
    Fudoli: Does he work for the FAA?

Hangauer: He is the actual person who oversees this office. There have been some particular concerns with this pilot. Kohl said that this flight school is not a certified pilot school; issued or operated certified by the FAA under the CFR 14 PARTS 141. It is a business school. So when it is operating in a nonconforming use area, it might be a zoning issue.

Kohl also said that it is most likely incorporated through an FAA flight instructor; here Clear Air Aviation LLC. He contacted Clear Air, as well as the FAA, and both have said that Clear Air has not been responsive.”

Council member Donna Stempniak asked if the pilot was the same person who worked for the flight school operating in the past.

Hangauer: No. This flight school is not sanctioned by the FFA. The town board does have jurisdiction with this flight school.

Fudoli: We will have the town attorney research this. I am not denying what you are saying but I want to make sure under what portion of the law we have jurisdiction to do that.

Fudoli reassured Buza that he would contact the flight school to insure this harassing practice would end. If it continued Buza was to contact him first.

Hangauer: You guys can pursue that as it is in your backyard.

Fudoli: Right. I want to make sure what section of the law gives us jurisdiction as this is regulated by the FAA; that if we do something about this we have legal grounds.

Hangauer: Keep in mind that this flight instructor is taking up young children over our homes and by doing so he is setting a poor example.

Thumbs down No more low flying children - Please !

As we have heard over and over again from residents - the safety of residents should be the number one issue.

Its great to see under Supervisor Fudoli - the residents finally have a representative on the Town Board - He takes appropriate action

Unlike past administrations demeaning residents as Councilman D.Stempniak and her fellow controlling members have done for years !

For far too long the Town Hall controllers have blamed residents, acted like taxpayers were the problem - and actually worked behind the scenes to facilitate the air strip and favored developers needs. Hopefully this November will help change that !

While our Town Council and past Supervisor Giza hid the fact they were helping the air strip expand --

While the Town Clerk was less than forth coming with information residents were seeking --

The Board Members lied to residents
    - Councilmember D. Stempniak and others at that time claimed, "WE know nothing about their plans"
    - "We haven't heard anything and maybe you should have thought about the air port before you moved here" :
    eek:

All while actually doing paperwork and engaging in discussions with the owner and other agencies to facilitate a
    $13MIILION DOLLAR TAX FUNDED GIFT TO THE AIRSTRIP.

This money was diverted from the Home Land Security Fund - partly paid for by your taxes and fees you pay when flying commercial airlines. - How does this hobby air strip help keep our Nation Safe -
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Shouldn't it be called the "No Aviation Coalition of Lancaster?"

b.b.

The issue is and has been "Residents Safety" from day one.

Not one person in the coalition ever asked to close the air strip - FACT !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    The issue is and has been "Residents Safety" from day one.

Not one person in the coalition ever asked to close the air strip - FACT !
    You sure fooled me. Everything I have read on this topic has been focused on putting this airport out of business. I chuckled when I read the last statement.

...this flight instructor is taking up young children over our homes and by doing so he is setting a poor example
    I don't even know what that means. What is the bad example? And this starts with a resident allegedly confronting a pilot over his flying and the pilot "promised not to fly over his house with the intent to harass him?" He said that? Or is that what the resident thought he heard.

b.b.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    According to the resident the pilot promised not to purposely fly planes over his house with the intent of harassing him
    Is the pilot in essence saying that he flies planes over Mr Buza's house with no intent of harassment and how would one know whether the flyover was intended to harass? I certainly wouldn't want the planes flying over every hour but for clarification did the pilot ever indicate past or present that his intention was harassment?

Georgia L Schlager

BB - please produce a "link" - to any news media article "quoting a coalition member saying the air strip should be shut down" -

Your either assuming that's what they wanted or just exaggerating to confuse readers - but why would you do that ?

I personally am not a member - nor a spokesperson for them !

Simply, I agree with their cause
    - which has always been to create and enforce safe flying patterns near housing in Lancaster.

The flight school has questionable licenses - has created safety concerns among residents and acted in a confrontational manner towards residents .

There has been multiple incidents yearly of planes flying dangerously low and even one crashed killing a young Lancaster resident student . Other incidents of forced landings - yet the coalition members are still trying to work out a reasonable solution.

The airstrip has expanded without proper approval beyond its agreed upon limits set by the Town of Lancaster. - yet the coalition members are still trying to work out a reasonable solution.

The Town Council Members and Supervisor B. Giza received free meals and campaign donations from the air strip owner and the past training school owner/operator
    - while denying they had any knowledge of the air strips efforts to gain a $13MILLION tax funded gift
    - the Council Members supported and facilitated the needed paperwork for the owner !
    - while denying knowledge of the plan.

Yet, the coalition members are still trying to work out a reasonable solution.

This is why our Town Board, Zoning Board,Planning Board and Town Hall need a new direction and new staff !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post

I personally am not a member - nor a spokesperson for them !
    But you like to play one on SUWNY.

Simply, I agree with their cause
    - which has always been to create and enforce safe flying patterns near housing in Lancaster.

I don't support a Party with a agenda to bull doze green space and residents !

I agree with their cause, too but wondered about this particular incident. Why were the police called? Which party felt intimidated at the airport? The pilot? or the neighbor?

Georgia L Schlager

A person buys a home near an airport and now complains of airplanes?

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I agree with their cause, too but wondered about this particular incident. Why were the police called? Which party felt intimidated at the airport? The pilot? or the neighbor?
    gorja, it was brought to my attention, after someone read your post here and wished that I respond. The manager of the Lancaster Airport became aggressive and made a veiled threat to a homeowner. The pilot navigating the aircraft who is one of the Clear Air's youngest flight instructor still in college was aggressive towards this homeowner-stating that since it is an uncontrolled airspace this instructor can do whatever he wants. In light of the recent aggressive/reckless flying another homeowner near the Lancaster Country Club also called the Manager at the airport, George and was very upset and conveyed her concern and his response was much the same. The Manager & the pilot initiated the confrontation, the homeowner stated what rights he as a homeowner has when trying to protect he and his family on the ground. With respect to the homeowner, there has been aggressive flying and it has on numerous occasions been reported to the FAA and with that, the FAA also had real concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka View Post
    A person buys a home near an airport and now complains of airplanes?
    With such a stupid response Greg, let me update you. On April 15, 2015 an aircraft coming off the runway at the Lancaster Airport had engine failure in the less common Easterly direction (a Westerly takeoff is in the direction they most often fly) the aircraft crashed. Prior to that, the aircraft was conducting its stop and go's in the Westerly direction, had that aircraft continued and as it appeared to have happened while flying in the Easterly direction, it would have crashed into a home and a fatality would have occurred. September 27th 2014, the WNY Flying Eagles were conducting a show where they held and event for the Young Eagles, two planes collided and two people died. During that event the FAA were actually at the airport conducting a safety seminar.

The concerns that plague this community has nothing to do with who lives where and when they purchased their homes. What it is about is that the airport is a "nonconforming use" airport that expanded beyond it's 25% which means it is in violation of the zoning laws, mislead the FAA on the AIP grant to obtain 14 million dollars of taxpayer monies, currently owns 161 acres of prime land and only pays less than 30,000 in taxes because they have a series of IDA's that represents "Corporate Welfare" at its best. They have had many accidents out of that airport, the "few" pilots that are reckless/aggressive is bringing a bad name to most of the well respected and professional pilots that conduct proper flight procedures out of the Lancaster Airport.

So let's keep in mind that these pilots are guests in our community, it is important that they understand the concept of being "good neighbors" and fly in a safe and respected manner.

Yes, what he said, "Safe and respectful"

There have been continuous problems with this airport since 2009.
    There are very responsible pilots that use BQR. Unfortunately, the rogue pilots make the entire facility look bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information