Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unable to acquire home owners insurance

unable to acquire home owners insurance

I was cancelled due to the age of my roof, and so far I am up to 16 different insurance companies that will not insure me due to my roof being over 20 years old...

what kind of BS is that?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Did they send over an insurance person to look at the roof? It might be more the condition of the roof more than the age.

no its the age of the roof. either I replace the roof to the tune of $20,000 or no insurance for me.

Then go without insurance and kwitcherbichin already. No one on the site cares about your roof or your insurance problems!

A 20-year-old asphalt shingle roof is at the end of its life and is an insurance claim waiting to happen. Mine's getting up there in age (15+), and it's getting redone next year. It's part of the cost of home ownership.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    A 20-year-old asphalt shingle roof is at the end of its life and is an insurance claim waiting to happen. Mine's getting up there in age (15+), and it's getting redone next year. It's part of the cost of home ownership.
    Maybe the original poster is looking for there to be a government program to help him finance the cost of his new roof.
    This website makes money off of a depraved and idiotic conspiracy theory.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I believe one would start here:

hud.gov

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?...e_improvements

cheektowaga has a specific program - loans and grants of state and federal funds - for home improvements for low income people.

http://www.tocny.org/Departments/Com...velopment.aspx

And shop around - I paid 10K for a new roof 3 years ago - I had bids ranging from 8K to 30K. I went with what I thought was the lowest responsible bidder. Turned out to be a good choice. I had him replace all my gutters this spring as well, even though he was a few hundred dollars higher than the lowest bidder for that job.

Get a half dozen bids and be sure the bids specify the type of shingle to be used, and the square foot cost of plywood and fascia replacement because you won't know what needs to be replaced until after the shingles are off. A lot of low bidders will "make up the difference" with outrageous replacement charges.
    Last edited by nogods; July 28th, 2015 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    I was cancelled due to the age of my roof, and so far I am up to 16 different insurance companies that will not insure me due to my roof being over 20 years old...

what kind of BS is that?

So let me see if I have this right....

You want to get insurance on your home...insurance that would cover things like a roof replacement if it failed...on a roof that is at the end of it's life and will likely need attention in the next few years...a roof on a home that has harsh winters and summers....a roof that would cost $20k to replace and you're confused as to why someone won't offer you a policy.

lulzy

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    cheektowaga has a specific program - loans and grants of state and federal funds - for home improvements for low income people.

And shop around - I paid 10K for a new roof 3 years ago - I had bids ranging from 8K to 30K. I went with what I thought was the lowest responsible bidder. Turned out to be a good choice. I had him replace all my gutters this spring as well, even though he was a few hundred dollars higher than the lowest bidder for that job.

Get a half dozen bids and be sure the bids specify the type of shingle to be used, and the square foot cost of plywood and fascia replacement because you won't know what needs to be replaced until after the shingles are off. A lot of low bidders will "make up the difference" with outrageous replacement charges.
    This is an important factor that people often overlook. I already know who I'm going with because we've discussed the roof replacement already, especially on my sunroom which has a cathedral ceiling and where I want not just to get down to the plywood, but to lift the plywood to add baffles for better air circulation (and longer roof life). He recognized the problem with that section of the roof immediately, and suggested a few alternatives, but since it's going down to the plywood anyways, a few hundred dollars in extra labor and materials to have it done right is well worth it to me. A lot of home improvement contractors don't take homeowners seriously, especially when they're women. There's a reason that this guy's booked up already through October.

I always write down exactly what I want before I talk to contractors so that I can compare apples to apples. Spreadsheets are great for this, whether you're outlining what you want in a home construction job or in a new car BTW.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

So you shopped around but on another thread you were justifying West Seneca not shopping around because you claimed it didn't "disadvantage" anyone as long as no other vendors were invited to bid in the first place? Spending taxpayer $ for all you're worth! Must be a Dem! Ha, ha, hee ,hee, ho ho. And what lawyer doesn't know how to spell "judgment"! No more responses to your posts phony loser!

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    So you shopped around but on another thread you were justifying West Seneca not shopping around because you claimed it didn't "disadvantage" anyone as long as no other vendors were invited to bid in the first place? Spending taxpayer $ for all you're worth! Must be a Dem! Ha, ha, hee ,hee, ho ho. And what lawyer doesn't know how to spell "judgment"! No more responses to your posts phony loser!
    Another reading comprehension challenged person.

It's a wonder you people don't seriously injure yourselves with all the modern appliances you come in contact with everyday.

You obviously don't understand the difference between a no-bid contract and a bidding process, so let's try to put this in 6th grade terms for you tiny brain.

When a local government gives a contract to another contractor, there is no one over which that contractor can have an "unfair advantage" in the process because the process doesn't involve anyone else bidding on the contract.

Imagine you are the only mentally challenged person in a race from your bedroom to the bathroom. Giving you a "head start" is not an "unfair advantage" because you are the only mentally challenged person in that race.

Get it? Probably not.

Now as for you being an outright liar - go back and read my post about my position on no-bid contracts. Unlike the incompetent employee of the comptrollers office, I know that the real objection to a no-bid contract is not because the contractor gets "an unfair advantage" over...uh...no one....but rather because the taxpayers might pay more than necessary for the contract.

Of course you don't comprehend that. That is why people like me rule the lives of people like you.

Due to my situation, I offered to allow for an exclusion for my roof, as insurance companies LOVE exclusions... still no go.

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    ...due to my roof being over 20 years old
    How old is your roof exactly?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Another reading comprehension challenged person.

It's a wonder you people don't seriously injure yourselves with all the modern appliances you come in contact with everyday.

You obviously don't understand the difference between a no-bid contract and a bidding process, so let's try to put this in 6th grade terms for you tiny brain.

When a local government gives a contract to another contractor, there is no one over which that contractor can have an "unfair advantage" in the process because the process doesn't involve anyone else bidding on the contract.

Imagine you are the only mentally challenged person in a race from your bedroom to the bathroom. Giving you a "head start" is not an "unfair advantage" because you are the only mentally challenged person in that race.

Get it? Probably not.

Now as for you being an outright liar - go back and read my post about my position on no-bid contracts. Unlike the incompetent employee of the comptrollers office, I know that the real objection to a no-bid contract is not because the contractor gets "an unfair advantage" over...uh...no one....but rather because the taxpayers might pay more than necessary for the contract.

Of course you don't comprehend that. That is why people like me rule the lives of people like you.
    I see your logic but I see an unfair advantage. I see how you are technically trying to state your side but...

Lets say there are 10 businesses in town that can supply a service/product. One business has "political/friend" connection so the 9 other business are shut out of the process. That one business has an advantage over the 9 other businesses even if those businesses don't know about the possible purchase of the service or product. Those other 9 businesses still exist in town. The one business has an advantage over all and any business because their "friends" in town government steer the business to them. I would find it interesting to see if that one business bribed.. I mean donated to the campaign of anyone who was running for office in town.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information