Thread: Buffalo’s loss is Amherst’s gain!

Unregistered

Buffalo’s loss is Amherst’s gain!

Below is the story on Belliotti's move to Amherst, as reported on Illuzziletter.

The very postive piece was undoubtedly written by Bflo Deputy Comptroller Tony Farina, who is "public relations man" for Bflo Comptroller SanFilippo, as well as a "staff writer" for Illuzzi.

Interestingly Farina, paid about $80,000 salary & benefits by Bflo. taxpayers as he violates city residency law & lives in Niagara County, last posted a press release for SanFilippo on the city website 17 months ago (Feb, 2005).

Dick Kern (in Mpls)

COPY:
    http://illuzziletter.com/

July 18, 2006 (actually Mon. 7/17)
    Buffalo’s loss is Amherst’s gain!

Buffalo’s loss is Amherst’s gain! That’s the feeling in the City Comptroller’s office these days as City Auditor Frank Belliotti prepares to leave next month to take over as comptroller in Amherst.

"We’re certainly going to miss Frank and his many years of experience," said City Comptroller Andrew SanFilippo. "I’m sure the fact that Frank can make more money ($14,000 raise) has something to do with him leaving. The wage freeze makes it very difficult to keep top professionals and to recruit talented young people to work for the city."

Belliotti himself tells www.PoliticsNY that it was a tough decision to walk away from a job he loves as Buffalo’s city auditor, but that financial considerations definitely were a factor.

"Let’s face it, the wage freeze makes it difficult," Belliotti said. "My new position as Amherst comptroller comes with many challenges, like the city, but the salary increase from $73,200 to $87,000 was something I had to consider at this stage of my career."

Belliotti was first appointed to head the city’s Audit Division by former Comptroller Anthony Nanula when Nanula took office in January of 2000. He was selected for the post over several other candidates because of his outstanding resume that includes a master’s degree in finance from Canisius College and a term as the chief financial officer for the Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency. He has also worked at a bank, as a large regional financial services holding company, and as an auditor for a federal regulatory agency.

Belliotti has definitely made his mark as city auditor, making headlines with audits of the Broadway Market and the city’s motor vehicle fleet.

More recently, there have been audits of the Buffalo Board of Education (cited for verbal contract), the Licensing Division (lack of cash safeguards), the Fuelmaster System (system controls lacking), PBA Contract (short of retirement goals), and the Buffalo Animal Shelter (found serious physical limitations).

Currently, Belliotti is conducting an audit review of the towing tickets written for vehicles that were never towed, and also is in the middle of an audit of the City Clerk’s Office.

"Anyone who thinks everything is cleaned up around here (City Hall) is mistaken," said Belliotti. "We’ve made a number of recommendations in various departments through the years, and many of those recommendations have not yet been implemented. It will be up to the next city auditor to follow up to make sure city departments respond to our recommendations to make government more cost-efficient and accountable. That’s what we try to do."

Belliotti stressed that it is extremely important to continue the independent audit oversight provided by the comptroller’s office "to ensure that people know somebody is watching. Whether it involves single source contracts and change orders, as was the case in the Sewer Authority, or financial statements and loan delinquency records from BERC, these departments and agencies must be tested through the audit process and when there is a lack of compliance, that must be brought out to the Common Council and the public."

SanFilippo said the search is on for a replacement for Belliotti, but he concedes it will be difficult to find an individual with the blend of experience and academic credentials possessed by the current city auditor.

"We will be hard-pressed to find a replacement with Frank’s ability and experience, given our salary limitations and other restrictions," said SanFilippo. "But we have no choice but to find a suitable replacement as soon as possible. In the meantime, I certainly want to thank Frank for his outstanding service to the city and wish him well in Amherst. The town should know it is getting a top professional who will be missed by his colleagues in my office."

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Interestingly Farina, paid about $80,000 salary & benefits by Bflo. taxpayers as he violates city residency law & lives in Niagara County, last posted a press release for SanFilippo on the city website 17 months ago (Feb, 2005).
    Hi! Glad to see you posting..

Would do me a favor?

Is this person still working for the city of Buffalo while not following the residency law?

I'm sure Byron Brown would never allow anything illegal to happen under his watch. You could email him and ask

Thread Information