Thread: Economic development or park beautification?

Economic development or park beautification?

Taken from the LIDA website-

It is the mission ofthe Town of Lancaster Industrial Development Agency (LIDA) to promote a stablebusiness environment by assisting qualified companies with modernization andexpansion projects, therefore enabling these companies to expand their business presenceand to remain economically viable.

Through the assistance granted to these companies, the LIDA will promote jobretention, advancement of future employment opportunities, and stabilization of thegeneral prosperity and economic welfare of our community. By developingeconomically sound commerce and industry in our community, we will realize abroadened tax base, reduce the tax burden on property owners, and ultimately improvethe quality of life for residents of the Town of Lancaster and surrounding areas.
    Where in that mission statement does it state LIDA monies will be used for a park's beautification?

I, certainly have the utmost respect for our veterans but the money to be given for professional services for the restoration of the gazebo in veterans park doesn't meet that mission in my opinion.

This will not promote job retention, advance future employment opportunities or stabilize the general prosperity and economic welfare of our community, as stated in their mission statement.

Georgia L Schlager

Regardless of the IDA's reasoning - this is completely wrong and couldn't be on their agenda at a more "Politically Sensitive" time.

This will be another "Political Football"

If the IDA Chairman allows it to pass - he will be accused of abusing the IDA Mission.

If this fails to pass - the IDA Chairman will be labelled ANTI Veterans.

Without or without Politics - and I am a Veteran - this is wrongful use of the IDA.

It just adds another reason to add to the mountain of reasons the IDA should be disbanded.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

I don't understand how it even got to the agenda.. In 2011, the Clarence IDA got their hand slapped by the ABO for giving money to the Chamber of Commerce which promotes bringing in more business

http://www.clarencebee.com/news/2011...IDA_grant.html

Georgia L Schlager

Anyone know? Did the LIDA dole out the money for the park's gazebo renovation?

Georgia L Schlager

The Lancaster Industrial Development Agency awarded $19,200 in tourism funds to the village to repair and improve the gazebo. That's BS.

Georgia L Schlager

Oh, gorja what gazebo are you referring to? I know of no structure like that at Westwood.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Oh, gorja what gazebo are you referring to? I know of no structure like that at Westwood.
    At Veteran's Park in Depew

Georgia L Schlager

While I have great respect for Veterans -

I do believe this could have and should have been handled by fund raisers. I talked to a few local Veterans Group Members (as I am one) - they said no one approached them for help.

I am quite sure they themselves could gain great pride in doing some of the work or at least help raising money to help offset the costs.

This should not be turned into another "Look what we did for you" event . Politicians have a way of doing such things. Cant wait to see who's campaign material highlights this grand gesture.

It would have meant allot more if this was turned into a Community event - instead of excluding Proud Veterans who would gladly help !

A few were aware something was "Happening" but there was a lack of communication some where along the line.

The IDA should not have been involved - once again they stray from their own published mission statement.

The funds will be used to repair and replace shingles on the gazebo roof, powerwash and strip it, stain the structure and complete the work with two coats of sealant, Nikonowicz said. The work is to begin this week.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...audit-20150727

Georgia L Schlager

Apparently, my interpretation of their guidelines differs from Magavern Magavern Grimm attorney - Richard Grimm III.
    Didn't bother asking the ABO, I guess.
    From page 7 of the upcoming agenda -
    Grimm's conclusion-

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Apparently, my interpretation of their guidelines differs from Magavern Magavern Grimm attorney - Richard Grimm III.
    Didn't bother asking the ABO, I guess.
    From page 7 of the upcoming agenda -
    Grimm's conclusion-
    As I previously posted I see nothing wrong with this reasoning and approach (surplus LIDA money and for the public benefit).

A hell of a lot better than when the Giza led LIDA was handing out IDA’S to friends and family owning businesses in the infamous ‘red zones’ – Olive Tree, Tom’s Bike Shop, etc.

How about the three IDAS to the Lancaster Airport where there was no job creation listed on the application, just stating ‘we can sell gas cheaper’. Three IDAS to a private/public airport that at that time had already received over $10 million in federal and state grant money to illegally expand an airport.

Yeah, let’s go back to those days!

[QUOTE=4248;1560195]
    I have great respect for Veterans - I know many.

I do believe this could have and should have been handled by fund raisers. I talked to a few local Veterans Group Members (as I am one) - they said no one approached them for help.

I am quite sure they themselves could gain great pride in doing some of the work or at least help raising money to help offset the costs.

This should not be turned into another "Look what we did for you" event . Politicians have a way of doing such things. Cant wait to see who's campaign material highlights this grand gesture.

It would have meant allot more if this was turned into a Community event - instead of excluding Proud Veterans who would gladly help !

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    As I previously posted I see nothing wrong with this reasoning and approach (surplus LIDA money and for the public benefit).

A hell of a lot better than when the Giza led LIDA was handing out IDA’S to friends and family owning businesses in the infamous ‘red zones’ – Olive Tree, Tom’s Bike Shop, etc.

How about the three IDAS to the Lancaster Airport where there was no job creation listed on the application, just stating ‘we can sell gas cheaper’. Three IDAS to a private/public airport that at that time had already received over $10 million in federal and state grant money to illegally expand an airport.

Yeah, let’s go back to those days!
    No one wants to go back to those days bit some current decisions I just don't agree with either, like market rate apartments.

Again, just because I don't agree to some of the decisions made by the previous LIDA administration doesn't mean I want to go back to those days of enhancement zone give-a-ways

Georgia L Schlager

[QUOTE=4248;1582211]
    Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    I have great respect for Veterans - I know many.

So true, 4248. So true.

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information