Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Census shows suburbs drive county’s growth

Census shows suburbs drive county’s growth

I thought everyone is moving into the all new city

Erie County’s population growth is coming from the suburbs.

While Buffalo’s numbers continue to shrink, Amherst and the second-ring suburbs accounted for much of the growth in Erie County between the start of the decade and last July, according to new estimates released by the Census Bureau this week.

During that period, the population increased 3.6 percent in Clarence, 2.7 percent in Lancaster, 2 percent in Amherst and 1.7 percent in Hamburg.
    Cheektowaga also on the decline.
    Amherst led the way with the addition of nearly 2,400 residents between the 2010 census and last year, bringing the population of Erie County’s largest town to 124,837. In fact, the increase of 796 Amherst residents between July 2013 and July 2014 was the fourth-largest gain among municipalities in the state, according to the Census Bureau.

“One thing we found in the past is those estimates tend to be on the low side for the town,” said Eric W. Gillert, Amherst planning director.

It’s not clear what specifically drove those increases in Amherst, but the town has seen a spike in new apartments over the past few years, including a large number for college students and senior citizens, Gillert said. Developers also have indicated that some of the higher-end apartments going up are attracting new hires from the University at Buffalo, Gillert said
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

Just another data point showing the continuing fiction pedaled by the News and others that Buffalo is on some kind of rapid growth path. As long as Buffalo is run by dopes and has a school system that thrives on and rewards failure the city will remain mired in decay. Ask yourself what happens to that tax subsidized "medical campus" when the subsidies dry up. And I'm hearing that no more than 1/3 of the medical school is actually moving into the medical school. Apparently, in a move all too typical of UB it built a medical school too small for the medical school and all the rest they've crammed in there.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    And I'm hearing that no more than 1/3 of the medical school is actually moving into the medical school. Apparently, in a move all too typical of UB it built a medical school too small for the medical school and all the rest they've crammed in there.
    Source for this?

The UB Medical School, a 628,000-square-foot building, will be the largest medical education facility in the United States. This has been sourced in many places. So where are you getting that the medical school is too small?

From people at UB who I won't name. Because it's a "medical education facility" doesn't mean it's all devoted to the medical school. and we already know that the facility lacks sufficient parking and such amenities such as nearby eating establishments. Remember, the dunces at UB actually touted this as a strength of the school. Inverted thinking like that is undoubtedly one of the causes of UB's plunge down the ranking of America's universities.

From people at UB who I won't name. Because it's a "medical education facility" doesn't mean it's all devoted to the medical school. and we already know that the facility lacks sufficient parking and such amenities such as nearby eating establishments. Remember, the dunces at UB actually touted this as a strength of the school. Inverted thinking like that is undoubtedly one of the causes of UB's plunge down the ranking of America's universities.

So you have nothing. Got it.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    I thought everyone is moving into the all new city

Erie County’s population growth is coming from the suburbs.

While Buffalo’s numbers continue to shrink, Amherst and the second-ring suburbs accounted for much of the growth in Erie County between the start of the decade and last July, according to new estimates released by the Census Bureau this week.
    The shrinkage would be worse if we didn't have groups in Erie County importing refugees into the City.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    So you have nothing. Got it.
    You are comical. My sources are none of you damned business. If I'm right you won't read it announced in the local press because that wouldn't be in keeping with their fictionalized account of the toilet city's "rebirth".And by the way who are your sources to prove I'm wrong. I do notice that you didn't try to refute the idiot statements of UB officials about the "positives" of no parking and no services.

You are comical. My sources are none of you damned business. If I'm right you won't read it announced in the local press because that wouldn't be in keeping with their fictionalized account of the toilet city's "rebirth".And by the way who are your sources to prove I'm wrong. I do notice that you didn't try to refute the idiot statements of UB officials about the "positives" of no parking and no services.

You mean the medical school that's being built on top of a subway station? That's the one you're worried about parking for? Idiot. Let me guess...your connections want a parking space 20 feet from the classroom so they don't have to walk a great distance....

I am also unsure how you want to separate education space from a medical school that's going to be one of the largest in the US. Maybe you think that other medical schools don't have a research component or maybe you don't understand that medical students do most of their learning outside of the classroom. Maybe you don't realize that UB used to rotate over the various hospitals but now will consolidate all of their student education on a single medical campus that's walking distance.

I don't know what you think because you're a f*cking moron...but maybe you just got some wrong information from your imaginary friends.

Hate to be the one to break this to you but if medical students and faculty wanted to live in the city and ride the filthy disgusting smelly subway to school they could do it now because the subway runs right to the current medical school campus. They don't ride it now and they won't then because no one rides it. Actually, I know full well that other medical schools have a research connection, almost all of them more successful than the ones at UB. I do know that UB has to rotate it's students through local hospitals because it doesn't have a "teaching " hospital relationship. And moving the medical school a few miles down Main street solves this how? Which hospital has committed to a teaching relationship with UB? In fact, as more and more medical services are provided in outpatient contexts the need for a centralized teaching campus is diminishing in favor of dispersed teaching opportunities. Buffalo, late to game and behind the times as usual. But you can be forgiven for not knowing. After all you "leftWNYbecause of BS". Ha ha hee hee ho ho.

Oh, and if the high point of your new medical campus is a reconstructed subway stop that says pretty much all the needs to be said about the entire project.

One further thing, some of my other contacts tell me that there is a scramble under way to line up dedicated parking in the vicinity of them "medical campus" because every realistic person knows that all the hoopla over this new subway stop is largely cow dung. And your mother still uses a Dell with windows XP.

I'm not sure what your obsession is with parking at the medical campus. They built a new parking garage there 5 years ago that holds 2,000 cars. Obviously no-one is expecting every single employee and visitor to take the metro. They do want public transit to play a part in their planning though.

And BTW, the voices in your head don't really count as "other contacts"...

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    The shrinkage would be worse if we didn't have groups in Erie County importing refugees into the City.
    100 years ago, the census was front-page news. July 21, 2015 population 455,000. City's population in 2010: 261,310.
    http://history.buffalonews.com/2015/...-family-of-20/

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    I'm not sure what your obsession is with parking at the medical campus. They built a new parking garage there 5 years ago that holds 2,000 cars. Obviously no-one is expecting every single employee and visitor to take the metro. They do want public transit to play a part in their planning though.

And BTW, the voices in your head don't really count as "other contacts"...
    I'm not obsessed with parking. I don't give a sh*t about it. It's the various entities scrambling to lock in parking who seem concerned. And if the metro wasn't a critical part of it, why did Representatives of NFTA & UB just about come all over themselves while they explained to the public an (unneeded) multi-million $ replacement of the subway stop? Oh wait I must have imagined that too. I bet you haven't parallel parked since the Nixon administration.

oh you remembered my line... I love it!

But I don't see how you think the Metro station re-build was unneeded... considering there's a new tower going up on top of it now and the re-build will fully integrate it with the medical campus. It will be the only metro stop that actually delivers riders right inside their destination. And the medical campus with ~20,000 employees is a pretty big destination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information