Thread: Superintendent on the carpet?

Question Superintendent on the carpet?

Announced this week superintendent T Lawrence will not get a extension on her contract. The BOE will not say why , just saying confidential. Is anyone aware of what is going on? Did she screw up? I just know she ended the facebook page for Grand Island Schools due to some negative comments on her. I also know the overall grades on testing have fallen the last 2 yrs. But there has to be something a lot bigger than these.She was highly praised when hired, now no contract extension. HUMMM???

Quote Originally Posted by twain View Post
    Announced this week superintendent T Lawrence will not get a extension on her contract. The BOE will not say why , just saying confidential. Is anyone aware of what is going on? Did she screw up? I just know she ended the facebook page for Grand Island Schools due to some negative comments on her. I also know the overall grades on testing have fallen the last 2 yrs. But there has to be something a lot bigger than these.She was highly praised when hired, now no contract extension. HUMMM???
    I seems that the Clarence schools have suffered somewhat since she left her position as Director of Curriculum and staff development there.

Georgia L Schlager

Lawrence, in a letter to the Dispatch Tuesday, said, "While I am disappointed in these recent developments, I am proud of the things we have been able to accomplish together during my tenure to date as superintendent of schools. These include:
    "Vision planning around eight themes have been identified to ensure our district's sustainability and growth. The themes include: 1) safety, 2) infrastructure investment, 3) financial stability, 4) relationships/social capital, 5) capacity, 6) adaptability, 7) academic programs and 8) student success and wellness.
    "Two school budgets, which strengthen our district's programs, ensure financial stability and reflect community values, were passed by wide margins.
    "An additional $1,072,744 in building aid for the science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) addition was secured after I initiated a meeting with officials in Albany to address their concerns and present our case.
    "Curricula have been aligned to provide multiple pathways to graduation that maximize our community's investment in the STEM addition.
    "Legal costs have been reduced by 70 percent.
    "Two new contracts, one with our administrators' association and one with our central office administrators, increase employee contributions to health insurance to 13 percent and 15 percent respectively.
    "Rigorous and fair hiring processes have been established and consistently applied resulting in high quality hires across the district.
    "A renewed focus on student safety produced an evacuation plan for the Ransom Road complex.
    "Strong positive relationships have been built with students, employees, families and town officials.
    "A $51 million capital project, which includes significant improvements to our classrooms and athletic facilities, is forecast to be completed on time and within budget."

Lawrence also noted what she called challenges facing the district.

"On the eve of my arrival, a contract between the Grand Island Teachers' Association and district, which had been negotiated by the interim superintendent, did not receive board approval. The sides remain far apart on money-related issues, including salary and health insurance.

Six administrators and supervisors have left for promotional opportunities and three others have retired or will retire at the end of this school year. Turnover can be stressful for any organization, but with the recruitment and selection process we put in place, we have hired strong, capable and skillful leaders who continue to help move our district forward," Lawrence said.

"As of July 1, 2015, our seven-person school board will have had 12 different members over the last two plus years, with five of the seven board members in their first term.

"Under my leadership, the focus has been, and will continue to be, providing the highest quality, well-rounded and cost-effective education for all our students. With the investment made in our employees, program and organization, the Grand Island Central School District is prepared to meet this focus. I remain committed to working with our Board of Education to carry out the work and achieve the goals we set together. As always, I do this work with integrity, purpose and collaboratively with the best interest of our students in mind."

http://www.wnypapers.com/news/articl...ences-contract

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I seems that the Clarence schools have suffered somewhat since she left her position as Director of Curriculum and staff development there.
    How have the Clarance schools suffered and what does that have to do with her role as GI superintendent? Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    How have the Clarance schools suffered and what does that have to do with her role as GI superintendent? Just asking.
    They eliminated the Director of Curriculum position when she left and have dropped from 2nd place all those years to 3rd place the last 2 years on Business First ratings.

Georgia L Schlager

I am not criticizing the super but again in the Island Dispatch last friday Ms Lawrence gives herself so many accomplishments that one would think she is a super superintendent. Yet and I stress yet the BOE will not extend her contract. Something major is missing from this puzzle. The BOE on the Island says they cannot say for it is confidential. If you are a parent on the Island you should be demanding what is going on. We always say it is all about the children, so why are we all left in the dark as to what is wrong with Ms Teresa Lawrence. If it is all about the children we should know so we can possibly adjust our life around our kids and this problem. This has nothing to do with Clarence or all the accomplishments of Ms Lawrence, it is all about the secrecy of Ms Lawrence's contract dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by twain View Post
    I am not criticizing the super but again in the Island Dispatch last friday Ms Lawrence gives herself so many accomplishments that one would think she is a super superintendent. Yet and I stress yet the BOE will not extend her contract. Something major is missing from this puzzle. The BOE on the Island says they cannot say for it is confidential. If you are a parent on the Island you should be demanding what is going on. We always say it is all about the children, so why are we all left in the dark as to what is wrong with Ms Teresa Lawrence. If it is all about the children we should know so we can possibly adjust our life around our kids and this problem. This has nothing to do with Clarence or all the accomplishments of Ms Lawrence, it is all about the secrecy of Ms Lawrence's contract dispute.
    It seems most school boards won't discuss issues regarding a particular staff person.

Georgia L Schlager

Grand Island names new school superintendent

Grand Island School Board members appointed Brian Graham as superintendent of the school district on Tuesday.

Graham, who is assistant superintendent of pupil personnel services in the West Seneca Central School District, will join the Grand Island district July 1.

He has worked for the West Seneca district for about 14 years, and has served as an adjunct professor at Daemen College. He was a special education teacher in Alden Schools and at Heritage Centers.

He earned a master’s degree in special education from Buffalo State College and a doctorate in educational leadership from D’Youville College.

The board approved a three-year contract.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...ndent-20160511

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information