Friends and fellow Buffalonians:

This has not been a proud week for Buffalo. Let me say something that should be instinctive to everyone, and should have been said by every elected official and member of the media by now: There’s no room for bigots or anti-Semites in our political Party or yours. There’s no room for bigoted behavior or anti-semetic jokes in our politics. There’s certainly no room for it on the County Legislature.

I was ashamed by the behavior of County Legislator Michelle Iannelleo, detailed this morning in the Buffalo News, refusing the help of African American volunteers offering to distribute information door to door in white neighborhoods. Every member of our community should be ashamed, outraged, and indignant that this innate racism and these old ways of thinking have shaped Ms. Iannelleo's campaign strategy.

As someone who is biracial, I am especially offended that Ms. Iannelleo has refused to apologize and has referred to her actions as “just a difference of opinion.” I don’t know what kind of parents that you must have had to think that this is even remotely acceptable behavior, so let me tell you something that your parents seemingly did not: civilized people treat and judge individuals based on their character, their skills, and their intentions—not their skin color.

I’ve spent countless hours encouraging people who were apathetic to our politics to participate, and explaining to them that our democracy is only as good, as representative, and as responsive as the inclusiveness of the process. I can’t help but imagine the harsh and stinging affect Ms. Iannelleo’s cold, cynical, and bigoted behavior had on the young volunteers who were told that they couldn’t participate because they were black. Is that young person likely to stick their head out of the proverbial pack again? Are they going to dare to involve themselves again after the way you shot them down? Will they have the confidence stand up and to say they demand to be heard and to be counted? No wonder young people and marginalized populations are so underrepresented in our politics.

Ms. Iannelleo owes those volunteers and this entire County a profuse and unmitigated apology. Michelle, how dare you—you should be utterly ashamed of yourself. I’m certainly ashamed of you. This is not Alabama in the 1960’s. This is Buffalo Niagara in 2009. Grow up and start acting like it.

Why can’t we all aspire to a higher politics rooted in inclusiveness and tolerance, innovation and ideas? I thirst for the day when people who think like this are made irrelevant on election day—because everyone is made equal in the voting booth.

Yours,

Matthew Ricchiazzi

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/841745.html