Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High Cholestrol

High Cholestrol

Anyone know what diet helps lower one's cholestrol? I forgot which one was it, the Jenny Craig, Nutri-Systems, or Weight Watchers?

I know everyone has a family secret in how to lower one's cholestrol, anyone want to share there's?

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Anyone know what diet helps lower one's cholestrol? I forgot which one was it, the Jenny Craig, Nutri-Systems, or Weight Watchers?

I know everyone has a family secret in how to lower one's cholestrol, anyone want to share there's?
    I use the "portion control" method which works good for me. In addition, I "try" avoiding sweets (like the cookies you and I had at fundraiser ), lunch meat, processed foods etc. Well, it worked for me. You can also take a supplement called "red yeast rice" as well. Phil & Marlene's Health food Store on Transit carries it. About 5 years ago my cholesterol was high and I asked the doctor to let me work on it myself before putting me on anything. He agreed and when I went back, he was impressed. I used Red Yeast Rice in the beginning until numbers came down and now just watch what I eat.

Exercise.
    Cut out the foods that you know are bad.
    Almonds and macadamia nuts.
    Red wine once a day.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    Exercise.
    Red wine once a day.
    Yes, that's true. I try to walk a few miles a day and also have exercise equipment downstairs as well. Red wine, grape juice and pomegrante juice all work well.

Thumbs up

The pomegranate season is here. Is it better to eat seeds or drink juice? What has more value and how much?

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
    The pomegranate season is here. Is it better to eat seeds or drink juice? What has more value and how much?
    Hmm... not sure but would bet eating whole fruit good way to go. Juice very high in antioxidants as well and more convenient. Wegmans & Tops has a POM juice called "Just Pomagrande". No adders etc. just juice. Also cost less than brand name POM.

South Beach Diet or the Mediterranean Diet , they're really not diets , but lifestyles changes with the garbage we tend to eat.....My cardiologist suggested either one , he likes them both....Just go on-line & check them out , pretty easy to follow , plus you'll lose weight , AND exercise of course !
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

Great ideas,

oh, well my numbers are not too good. So I need to exercise more, I thought the foods I was eating was pretty good but I should do better. I do use the flaxseed and Cheerio's with the dried blueberries and walnuts. Oh the portions are small but I do eat processed culcuts. I am cutting them out.

I am one who does not like pills.

Great stuff!

Do you find the

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
    pomegranate bitter? I wish I liked it, how about cherry juice?

What about

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    Exercise.
    Red wine once a day.
    pistachio nuts? The white ones?

pomegranate bitter? I wish I liked it, how about cherry juice?
    Ponagrante flavor OK once you get used to it. You can also mix purple grape juice to make a little sweeter as well. I believe all nuts are good and consist of good fat but eat in moderation. Not sure about cherry juice....

anyones neighbor
    My cholesterol was high for years. Last year my doc gave me some medication. For a few months I skipped the medication but ate anything I wanted. Now at that time I started taking 1200 MG of fish oil twice a day. Now that's all I take but I still eat what I want, just not a lot of it. It works.

Thumbs up stronger bones

Back in the USSR, all kids and I used to get a teaspoon of fish oil everyday before dinner in kindergarden. It was mandatory. It made our bones stronger.

Lost 20 pounds (weight watchers) and started taking 500mg of non-flushing niacin MD cut my dose to 1/3 of what I was taking.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Well tried the fish oil capsules.

Well they were so huge I couldn't get it down my throat, so then I went to the fish oil ~~oil. I thought I was gonna vomit!!! Gross.

The red yeast rice has a drug called "Lovastatin." This drug was made by Merck. This was the first statin discovered. But it exists naturally in red yeast rice. So I might try that.

Thanx

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information