Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: High Cholestrol

Thumbs up

I'm still trying to find the answer to my question, "How much pomegranate is recomended per day?" Does anybody know?

I can have two or three or four of them per day. Is it O.K.? I would appreciate if somebody provided a credible information or a link to read. Thank you.

It was mentioned in the article you found

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
    I'm still trying to find the answer to my question, "How much pomegranate is recomended per day?" Does anybody know?

I can have two or three or four of them per day. Is it O.K.? I would appreciate if somebody provided a credible information or a link to read. Thank you.
    Too much is not good according to anything. I think 1 a day is good.

Thumbs up thinking is positive

I'm glad that you think. It's a positive sign. Any medical facts?

It says in the article that drinking

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
    I've been doing some research today and this is what I've found: http://www.healthcentral.com/peoples...408/61202.html

I've been eating pomegranate since I was achild. It sure keep me healthy. I recommend it to everyone. Michelle, do you have any coupons for it?
    too much of the pomegrante juice or eating the fruit would cause constipation. It also says that it does help diarrhea.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    too much of the pomegrante juice or eating the fruit would cause constipation. It also says that it does help diarrhea.
    I also found where they recommend 8oz of actual POM juice per day.
    Ref: Dr. Rosenthal, FOX News

Thumbs up

How much juice is in one pomegranate on average? Give me fact with a link to a credible source.

Zanna, it was your own link.

And honestly, it is about common sense. If you want to find it go ahead. Too much juice gives one a reaction. Too much of anything causes something. But if you are eating three pomegrante's well gee, I would think it would cause some constipation. Or diarrhea.

Thumbs up live to learn

I haven't experienced any propblems. I agree with you that I can the credible sources on my own, but wanted to save time. As you know, one head is good; two are better and I wish I were a gragon with seven (just kidding).

With so many sources availbale on the www, my point is: if somebody knows the information I'm searching for why not to share? It saves me a time and gives a personal credibility. Works good for both.

I do my home work and will share. If you find out, we'll compare and both learn.

Learning is good. Never stop learning. Live to learn.

Precisely,

good commentary. I do like to do research myself as well,but too busy. I will say my downfall, is the computer savyness. I LACK IT IN PREPORTION TO OTHERS. Truly, your quest is a good one and further research is good. It does keep the mind sharp. At the age I am, I need all the help I can get.

So to task it is......

Thumbs up

Stop talking about age! Think about it as life experience. You have more experience than 20-30 years old!! Think positive!

Found on Internet

Pomegranate juice has excellent antioxidant properties. It has about three times more antioxidants ounce for ounce than does red wine or green tea. Many people also enjoy its rich taste, making it a welcome beverage.

Pomegranate juice has been shown to work well as a blood thinner. Some research has shown it may be an excellent agent for promoting blood flow to the heart. It also has been shown to reduce plaque in the arteries, and to raise “good” levels of cholesterol while helping lower “bad” cholesterol.

This preliminary research suggests that pomegranate juice may be helpful in preventing heart disease, heart attacks and stroke. Most physicians are quick to point out pomegranate juice should be just one aspect of a healthy diet and exercise program. Pomegranate juice alone would probably not cure or completely prevent heart disease.

Some research has also evaluated the antioxidant nature of pomegranate juice and its usefulness in fighting certain forms of cancer. Pomegranate juice has been tentatively shown to reduce incidence of breast and skin cancer. It has also been tested and shown to slow the growth of prostate cancer in mice.

Another interesting study has evaluated pomegranate juice and osteoarthritis. Pomegranate juice tends to act as an inhibitor on enzymes responsible for damaging cartilage. These studies applied extract of pomegranate directly onto damaged cartilage. More research would have to examine a cause and effect relationship between oral ingestion of pomegranate juice and reduction in cartilage deterioration.

However, early studies on pomegranate juice suggest it is surely healthy to drink. The fruit can be quite fun to eat as well. There are numerous pomegranate juice products available, many quite highly priced because of the health craze surrounding pomegranate juice. It is likely if continued studies show promising health benefits, more manufacturers of pomegranate juice will emerge and help ease prices through competition.

Fun way to get pomegranate fix

Martini anyone??

Ingredients:
    Serves 2

* 1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice
    * 2 ounces Absolute Citron vodka or white tequila
    * 1 ounce Cointreau liquor
    * Cup of ice
    * Splash of sparkling water (optional)
    * Squeeze of lemon (optional)

Shake ingredients in a shaker and put in chilled martini glasses. Put pomegranate fruit into glass as garnish.

* For more information about Rachael Ray, visit www.rachaelrayshow.com.

Ichy, you are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ichingtheory View Post
    Pomegranate juice has excellent antioxidant properties. It has about three times more antioxidants ounce for ounce than does red wine or green tea. Many people also enjoy its rich taste, making it a welcome beverage.

Pomegranate juice has been shown to work well as a blood thinner. Some research has shown it may be an excellent agent for promoting blood flow to the heart. It also has been shown to reduce plaque in the arteries, and to raise “good” levels of cholesterol while helping lower “bad” cholesterol.

This preliminary research suggests that pomegranate juice may be helpful in preventing heart disease, heart attacks and stroke. Most physicians are quick to point out pomegranate juice should be just one aspect of a healthy diet and exercise program. Pomegranate juice alone would probably not cure or completely prevent heart disease.

Some research has also evaluated the antioxidant nature of pomegranate juice and its usefulness in fighting certain forms of cancer. Pomegranate juice has been tentatively shown to reduce incidence of breast and skin cancer. It has also been tested and shown to slow the growth of prostate cancer in mice.

Another interesting study has evaluated pomegranate juice and osteoarthritis. Pomegranate juice tends to act as an inhibitor on enzymes responsible for damaging cartilage. These studies applied extract of pomegranate directly onto damaged cartilage. More research would have to examine a cause and effect relationship between oral ingestion of pomegranate juice and reduction in cartilage deterioration.

However, early studies on pomegranate juice suggest it is surely healthy to drink. The fruit can be quite fun to eat as well. There are numerous pomegranate juice products available, many quite highly priced because of the health craze surrounding pomegranate juice. It is likely if continued studies show promising health benefits, more manufacturers of pomegranate juice will emerge and help ease prices through competition.
    See Zanna, if I had the skills that itch had, I coulda' done that. But good find, kiddo and love the recipe....Zanna, now look in moderation....not too many martini's !!

Thumbs up Daily

Have you tried Pomegranate Smirnov Vodka? Delicious and easy to drink! i also like Cranberry Style.
    Talking about pomegranate daily dose. This is what I found today-keep scrolling down. Daily Use

I'll continue having one pomerganate per day while the pomegranate season is here.
    I enjoy a whole fruit instead of juice. It's more Fun!

Interesting FDA/Big Pharm vs you and me

What is Red Yeast Rice?

Latin name: Monascus purpureus
    Other names: Hong Qu, red rice, red yeast

Red yeast rice is a substance made by fermenting a type of red yeast called Monascus purpureus over rice.
    Red yeast rice has been used in China as a preservative, spice, and food coloring. It's used to give Peking duck its characteristic red color and can also be an ingredient in fish sauce, fish paste, and rice wine. Red yeast rice is used in traditional Chinese medicine as a remedy for poor circulation, indigestion, and diarrhea. Red yeast rice contains naturally-occurring substances called monacolins. Monocolins, particularly one called lovastatin, is believed to be converted in the body to a substance that inhibits HMG-CoA reductase, an enzyme that triggers cholesterol production. This is the way the popular statin drugs work.
    Because of this action, red yeast rice products containing a higher concentration of monocolins have been developed and marketed as a natural product to lower cholesterol.
    The problem is that the primary ingredient in these supplements, lovastatin, is also the active pharmaceutical ingredient in prescription drugs for high cholesterol such as Mevacor. In fact, lovastatin was originally derived from another type of red yeast called Monascus ruber.
    When the FDA discovered that red yeast rice contained a substance found in prescription drugs, it banned red yeast rice products containing lovastatin. In August, 2007, the FDA issued a warning that several red yeast rice products still contained lovastatin. The manufacturers of these products have since recalled these products.
    Regulation

Red yeast rice is classified as a dietary supplement by the FDA. Because of its similarity to the statin drugs, there is an ongoing legal debate about whether red yeast rice should be reclassified as a prescription drug rather than a dietary supplement.
    Why People Use Red Yeast Rice

To Lower Cholesterol and Triglycerides

Since red yeast rice products can no longer contain lovastatin, it's unclear whether red yeast products currently on the market would have any effect on cholesterol levels.
    What is the Evidence for Red Yeast Rice?

There have only been a few well-designed studies on red yeast rice in humans.
    For example, a study conducted by the UCLA School of Medicine examined the use of red yeast rice in 83 people with high cholesterol.
    Subjects were randomized to receive 2.4 grams a day red yeast rice or placebo, and they were told to consume a 30% fat diet (with no more than 10% of this from saturated fat and less than 300 mg cholesterol a day).
    After the 12 week treatment period, there was a significant reduction in total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and triglyceride levels, compared with placebo. HDL cholesterol was not affected in this study.
    ...Safety

Red yeast rice products have been found to contain citrinin, a toxic by-product of the fermentation process.
    Pregnant or nursing women and children should not use red yeast rice.
    People with liver disease or at risk for liver disease should not use red yeast rice, as red yeast rice may impair liver function.
    People with acute infections, kidney disease, or who have had an organ transplant should not use red yeast rice.
    People taking red yeast rice who develop muscle pain or tenderness should discontinue the product immediately and check with their doctor.
    from: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herb...dyeastrice.htm
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information