Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was wrong with how kids were taught 40 to 50 years ago?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

What was wrong with how kids were taught 40 to 50 years ago?

It made too much sense?

My kids are in the common core system. Every time they ask for help with homework and I see the way the problems are set up I want to snap. It's riciculous
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Too many people were getting to college. The progressives want dependency on government and not for people to do things on their own.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Well an education preparing someone for an unskilled labor job in a factory is a lot different than an education preparing someone for 21st century skilled tech based economy.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    Too many people were getting to college. The progressives want dependency on government and not for people to do things on their own.
    Nice try, Mr Rhetoric, but hardly true.

Don't forget, your President wants to raise Pell grants, lower tuition costs and make COmmunity COllege more accessible to all people. YOUR side is already working on blocking that so I guess it;s the CONSERVATIVES that want to limit college access, not the Liberals
    HipKat's Blog

Kid's need to educated to what the public demand will be for their services. There are tens of millions of kids at home that got degrees in fields for which there is no demand. Consequently there will be a student loan default now up to 1.3 trillion because college prices are ridiculous and there is no work for people that have sociology, political science, communication, english, history etc.

Yeah, math is hard and requires work but getting kids to love math, engineering, technology, science, robotics, is where the jobs are and will be for some time. There is no mystery here.

Learn about white privilege, triggers, bullying, and anything to do with excusing minorities for their actions, and you'll be employed for the foreseeable future.
    Major in Victim science.

40 or 50 years of acquired knowledge and technological and social developments that have changed the world require that we update our educational systems. Common core may not me the answer, but we can't teach kids as if it were 1960. We can't ignore 50 years of changes in our educational system. your question is no different than asking "what was wrong with how kids were taught 400 or 500 years ago?"

Agreed but getting the right answer is still more important than the method
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    40 or 50 years of acquired knowledge and technological and social developments that have changed the world require that we update our educational systems. Common core may not me the answer, but we can't teach kids as if it were 1960. We can't ignore 50 years of changes in our educational system. your question is no different than asking "what was wrong with how kids were taught 400 or 500 years ago?"
    Young people not directed to those vocations in sync with societies' needs today and tomorrow will be as unemployed now/in the future as they were when I was in school. Unfortunately kids don't like math, which is a principle foundation for degrees and skills in public demand. Ps. it's a lot easier to get into med school with an engineering degree than with an English degree.

It's simple it's just not easy.

No offense but look at how many of your co graduates in law school chose the profession by default because they had a useless four year undergraduate degree for which there were little if any employment opportunities.
    There are a glut of teachers because of the same thing to a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    Nice try, Mr Rhetoric, but hardly true.

Don't forget, your President wants to raise Pell grants, lower tuition costs and make COmmunity COllege more accessible to all people. YOUR side is already working on blocking that so I guess it;s the CONSERVATIVES that want to limit college access, not the Liberals
    LOL, I was speaking about common core, not congress.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    The basic teaching principles I think would still be the same. Math is math, science is science and english is still english.

Far as I know hows kids were taught 500 years ago must have been fine seeing we got where we are today. Wouldn't you agree?

The "facts" might have changed on the subject material but the methods would be the same.

Do they have home economics and shop still in grammar school? I don't know. If not why not?

The basic teaching principles I think would still be the same. Math is math, science is science and english is still english.
    No its not

Far as I know hows kids were taught 500 years ago must have been fine seeing we got where we are today. Wouldn't you agree?
    No

The "facts" might have changed on the subject material but the methods would be the same.
    no

Do they have home economics and shop still in grammar school? I don't know. If not why not?
    Not until middle school.

It's not, Res. The methods are not the same. My 10 yr old asked me to help with her math homework and when I saw how they were supposed to arrive at the answer and that the answer itself was not important if it was right or wrong, I got so frustrated, I wanted to snap
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    It's not, Res. The methods are not the same. My 10 yr old asked me to help with her math homework and when I saw how they were supposed to arrive at the answer and that the answer itself was not important if it was right or wrong, I got so frustrated, I wanted to snap
    I assume you are talking about math.

I feel pretty strongly that how the students arrive at the answer is critically important and that how it is being taught is probably a much better way than in the past.

If you get into higher levels if discreet and theoretical mathematics or any type of computer science, the method is just as important if not more than the answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information