Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walkable Neighborhoods

Thumbs up

Let's define what is a walkable neighborhood. I believe everyone entrepets its in his/her own way. Do you mean you can walk to stores, schools, or just want to walk your dog and exercise?
    What is a walkable neighborhood in your own words?

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
    Let's define what is a walkable neighborhood. I believe everyone entrepets its in his/her own way. Do you mean you can walk to stores, schools, or just want to walk your dog and exercise?
    What is a walkable neighborhood in your own words?
    What I'm looking for is the ability to get to: restaurants, parks, maybe a grocery/convenience store without having to drive. Anywhere near the water and bike paths is a plus too.

If I decide on renting are there any suggestions for the most walkable rental areas in WNY?

On my list of possibles for renting are: Allentown, Elmwood Village, Hertel, City of Tonawanda, and maybe even downtown.

Thumbs up needs list

What's on you need list?
    Examp: 3 bedrooms? 2 bath? 1 car garage?
    Are you presently working with somebody?

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
    What's on you need list?
    Examp: 3 bedrooms? 2 bath? 1 car garage?
    Are you presently working with somebody?
    Currently my situation is quite flexible. At the bare minimum I would need 1 bed 1 bath. 2 beds preferred so I could get a roommate. Nothing else is really necessary except for maybe a driveway. Also, yes I am working with somebody. Thanks for your help though.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Currently my situation is quite flexible. At the bare minimum I would need 1 bed 1 bath. 2 beds preferred so I could get a roommate. Nothing else is really necessary except for maybe a driveway. Also, yes I am working with somebody. Thanks for your help though.
    dont do room mates unless you personally know them , imho if you buy - 3 beds minimum
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Thumbs up

That's a different topic for conversation-forum; it's a personal choice.

What I'm looking for is the ability to get to: restaurants, parks, maybe a grocery/convenience store without having to drive. Anywhere near the water and bike paths is a plus too.

If I decide on renting are there any suggestions for the most walkable rental areas in WNY?

On my list of possibles for renting are: Allentown, Elmwood Village, Hertel, City of Tonawanda, and maybe even downtown.
    Have you considered the area between Delaware Park and Amherst Street? There are numerous apartment buildings in that area, especially on Delaware. I looked at some with one of my neices a few years ago. The one I liked best was an older complex right on Delaware south of Amherst Street that had been rehabbed: 2 BRs, tiny kitchen, living room/dining room with hardwood floors. Windows overlooking a courtyard. Off street parking. On-site laundry facilities. I can't remember if it was a walkup or if there was an elevator, but I think it had an elevator. I think heat and cable were included. We looked at an apartment on the back of the building away from the street noise. Security locks on all the doors. I thought it was very reasonable for the location and amenities.

If I was into apartment living in Buffalo, I think that would be my first location choice. It's a very safe city neighborhood. It's right on a major bus route (25) and near another (32). Also, the Colvin (9) bus might go by Delaware and Amherst. Delaware Park is down the street. The Zoo is a few blocks east, and certainly walkable. Shopping for anything/everything is just up the street starting at the plaza at Great Arrow and Delaware. The same with dining.

Those area's are great choices.

It surprises me that COT is high in price. If you are looking somewhere in even Niagara County, Lewiston is great and believe it or not they do have reasonable housing.

Good luck, Zanna has great ideas!

http://mjpeterson.hipidx.com/propert...erty_type=RES#

Anyone on here familiar with the neighborhood that this house is in? I see it's close to Elmwood, but I'm not sure about the specifics.

It's a transitional area. Crime risk increases dramatically two blocks to the west.

The list price of that property has dropped 20k since September.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Thumbs up

http://mjpeterson.hipidx.com/propert...erty_type=RES#

Anyone on here familiar with the neighborhood that this house is in? I see it's close to Elmwood, but I'm not sure about the specifics.
    Ask specific questions. Send me p.m., if you don't want to post here.

Also, to get back to the original point of my thread, walkability:

http://www.walkscore.com/

Pretty nifty tool that lets you see what's nearby.

Thumbs up

Sounds you're doing your homework. It's great!!
    What are you looking for?

Keep in mind, the property you've mentioned before is close to SUNY-Buffalo State College.

It's one of Matt's listings. Very easy to deal with - no BS.

The price has been reduced 15k since 10/2009.

List price seems reasonable for that neighborhood. Close proximity to Hertel ave and lack of detached garage may reduce market demand. GLA is a little smaller than many SFR's in that neighborhood.

A purchase price around $92,500 would be decent if the property is in good condition and doesn't need any immediate repairs. You could probably get a 3-5% seller concession on top of that.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information