Thread: senior citizens and school taxes

Tony Fracasso - Admin

senior citizens and school taxes

This question was on facebook

Jerry Mandell

Do you feel it's fair for a senior citizen to pay school taxes if they either don't have any children or their children are already grown up? I feel seniors should not have to pay school taxes. What do you think?
    https://www.facebook.com/jerry.mande...nf&pnref=story

What do you think? How much is too much over time. Figure in how we have various political parties basically wanting open borders which means the net tax payer foots the bill for the cost of educating a never ending stream of people illegally entering the USA.

I think some towns give them a substantial discount.

Everyone benefits from public education. Do those seniors think that every scientist and doctor who is helping them live to be 97 went to a private elementary and high school?

Much of a home's value is based on the quality of the school district in which it is located.

In fact, an economic argument could be made that people without children actually benefit more from public schools because they aren't incurring the additiuonal expenses of raising children but are enjoying the increased value of their homes and the benefits of an educated populace. So we really should add a no-child tax to those who don't have kids to extract some of that additional welafare from them.

Academic research studies in recent decades generally have found that, all other factors being held equal, you pay somewhat more for houses in highly rated school districts compared with homes in neighborhoods where the schools have lower ratings and test results.

Now a national realty brokerage, Redfin, has come out with a study that purports to put hard numbers on the pricing differential. Using a huge database of about 407,000 home sales and nearly 11,000 elementary school districts in 57 metropolitan markets, the study concluded that, on average, buyers pay $50 more per square foot for homes in top-rated school districts compared with homes served by average-rated schools. The study’s data came from multiple listing services plus school characteristics and test scores provided by the research firms GreatSchools and Onboard Informatics.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Everyone benefits from public education. Do those seniors think that every scientist and doctor who is helping them live to be 97 went to a private elementary and high school?
    Not everyone benefits from public education. You fail to leave out that many inventions that helped people live to 97 were by people not educated by a government ran educational business. I am not saying we should not have public schools.

I love these pro tax party people:
    Nogods states: "So we really should add a no-child tax to those who don't have kids to extract some of that additional welafare from them"

He is also one of these people who believe a person in a 50 year old home should pay a tax percentage equal to some one who builds and lives in a brand new home, built at a cost of ten times that of the 50 year old house.

The benefits of a school system is to those being educated. That benefit ends when that person graduates. The benefit of that school does nothing for seniors or those with no children in that school system.

The fact that relators used the schools as a selling tool or new families value a schools environment should have no bearing on home owners taxes.

Just another lie to justify taxes. His people have been using these lies so long they actually believe them.

What next - higher taxes for those living close to a hospital or a extra safety tax if you live near a police station (atleast in some neighborhoods)
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    The benefits of a school system is to those being educated. That benefit ends when that person graduates. The benefit of that school does nothing for seniors or those with no children in that school system.
    You are a perfect example the cost to society of an uneducated adult.

Which example is that - my voluntary service in the US Military - my 13 years as a auto worker - or my 28 years a fire fighter? Is that a bad thing?

I believe your a perfect example of a tax subsidized party playin lawyer. Overly educated and totally self aggrandizing.

Your the one who wants to add another school tax on seniors - not me !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Not everyone benefits from public education. You fail to leave out that many inventions that helped people live to 97 were by people not educated by a government ran educational business. I am not saying we should not have public schools.
    Everyone alive today has benefited from the existence of public educated.

When he was 13, Jonas Salk entered Townsend Harris High School, a public school for intellectually gifted students. Named after the founder of City College of New York (CCNY), it was, said Oshinsky, "a launching pad for the talented sons of immigrant parents who lacked the money—and pedigree—to attend a top private school."

if seniors get a discount due to no kids so should anyone without kids
    personally I think every property owner should pay something towards school taxes but those with kids in the system should pay more since they're actively using it

why should the childless or one child household pay the same as the people down the block with 5 kids?
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    I think the idea behind the senior discount is that they've been paying school taxes their whole life (in one town or another), so it acknowledges that they've paid their share and now they can catch a break when they might need it most in old age. Whereas a 35 year old with no kids has only been paying for a fraction of that time.

Seems like sense to charge more for people with lots of kids, but that would be considered "anti-family", and some would say they're already paying more anyway just by supporting the kids (like more sales taxes for all their clothes and toys and whatever). But that's a tricky question that politicians wouldn't touch with a 50' pole. Plus once you start itemizing those kinds of taxes then people would want the same breakdown for other taxes... like firefighters and roads.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    personally I think every property owner should pay something towards school taxes but those with kids in the system should pay more since they're actively using it

why should the childless or one child household pay the same as the people down the block with 5 kids?
    Because the family with just one kid has less of a chance of benefiting society through education of their children than the family with 5 kids, so the famly with just one kid should be contributing more per-capita to the public education system than the family with five kids, which is exactly what happens when the tax rate is the same for all households.

Looking at another way, I don't drive on 90% of the roads in Erie county, so why should I have to pay taxes to maintain that 90%?

Bottom line is the N.Y Constitution guarantees a free basic education. If only households with children paid school taxes it would be tuition and in violation of the N.Y. Constitution.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    Bottom line is the N.Y Constitution guarantees a free basic education. If only households with children paid school taxes it would be tuition and in violation of the N.Y. Constitution.
    in the NY State Constitution gaurentees a free education, then why are we paying any school taxes?

I geuss that means school taxes are illegal under the constitution
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Thread Information