http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5280114

Arson Suspected in String of Weekend Fires

(Buffalo, NY, August 14, 2006) - - Fire investigators are trying to get to the bottom of a rash of arsons across Buffalo, and if it wasn't for a brave neighbor, one of the fires could have ended much worse. News 4's Jodi Hovenden reports.

It was just after 1:00 Monday morning when Buffalo firefighters responded to a fire on Esser Avenue, one of ten arson fires they battled over the weekend.

Buffalo Fire Marshal Lieutenant Sal Colangelo said, "We suspect that there are multiple persons involved, and that it's just the overwhelming number of vacant buildings that the city hasn't torn down yet."

And while most of the arson fires have been set in vacant buildings, not all of them have been.

A family of five was rescued from their Sycamore Street home on Sunday, and investigators believe it, too, was arson.

Erica Driver said, "I woke up, heard people screaming and hollering, 'the house is on fire, get out'. I was scared. I didn't know what to do."

William Humphrey, grandfather of one of the fire victims said, "They could have murdered my family. You know, it's attempted murder. Whoever did this, I mean, they may be getting a kick [out of it], may be getting paid to set these fires, or whatever. I don't know. But what they need to do is stop. Too many innocent people can get hurt."

And other residents fear even the fires set in vacant houses could cause someone to get hurt.

Hovenden: Were you concerned for the safety of your family?

Buffalo resident Mark Skowronski: Oh yeah, because the flames were getting pretty high. I'm glad it wasn't a windy day, to put it that way. I mean, it could have been a lot worse.

That's why fire investigators are once again asking for the public's help.

Colangelo said, "They're extremely worried. It's unfortunate that they don't want to give any information. I don't know if they fear retaliation, or just don't want to be involved."

Anyone with information on any of the arsons is asked to call investigators at 851-4515.

There is up to $2,000 in reward money for information leading to an arrest.