Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Crime Reports

Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting a little tired of hearing about people getting shot while they roam the worst streets in the city in the middle of the night. You're nothing short of a moron if you're hanging out on Herkimer Street at 2 AM. I don't care if you're a gangbanger or a little old lady - that's simply not wise.

The crime needs to stop, but maybe if people weren't so freakin' stupid - there would be a little bit less of it.

The Schiller Park shooting is an exception of course. Nobody should be running around firing off shots at 10:30 in the morning. Not that it's ever OK, but jeez, that's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting a little tired of hearing about people getting shot while they roam the worst streets in the city in the middle of the night. You're nothing short of a moron if you're hanging out on Herkimer Street at 2 AM. I don't care if you're a gangbanger or a little old lady - that's simply not wise.

The crime needs to stop, but maybe if people weren't so freakin' stupid - there would be a little bit less of it.

The Schiller Park shooting is an exception of course. Nobody should be running around firing off shots at 10:30 in the morning. Not that it's ever OK, but jeez, that's insane.
    YES..REPORT ON SOMETHING ELSE I CAN READ THE SNOOZE.I CAN ALSO READ THE LIPS OF MYLOUS HARRISTON ON CH 4..SO GIVE OT A BREAK..SHOW SOME BABY PICTURES OF THE KIDS OR SOMETHING

I believe the genesis of this thread is: a)Funky was torqued that SU ignored Niagara Falls; b)people were posting really really ugly things about Niagara Falls; c)by showing the bad things happening in Buffalo, Niagara Falls may look better by comparison.

Typical progression of professional victims.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

So, in the end, Buffalo and Niagara Falls both have enough crime to fill up at least 60 minutes of hard news - but on the flip side, our local news channels find that doing the weather 3 times in 30 minutes is more of what people want.

Quote Originally Posted by biker
    I believe the genesis of this thread is: a)Funky was torqued that SU ignored Niagara Falls; b)people were posting really really ugly things about Niagara Falls; c)by showing the bad things happening in Buffalo, Niagara Falls may look better by comparison.

Typical progression of professional victims.
    Actually I was angry that the News Media in general ignored Niagara Falls especially the TV news, and I felt that if I was going to post about crime in Niagara Falls, why not about Buffalo.

And if people don't want to read anything that this thread is about, then simply don't click on the link.

http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5308761

16-Year-Old Boy Shot Near Langfield Drive Apartments on East Side

(Buffalo, NY, August 21, 2006) - - A 16-year-old boy is at ECMC after he was shot on the city's east side.

Police say they have few details about the shooting.

But they say the teenager lives near the Langfield Drive apartments where he was shot.

They have not released the victim's name

I like the reports

I don't think a great many people realize how much crime really occurs in this city. And Funk is only posting some of the shootings and murders. Let me assure you , there are more. Anyone that has a scanner can tell you that. I like that it educates the people that do view this msg page. There are so many people that don't have any comprehension about what goes on every single night in this city. I had no idea that people get their houses shot up, and get shot at themselves, nearly every single day/night in this city. As well I believe it demonstrates the fact Bflo Cops do have a difficult , dangerous job.

so which station is in niagara falls television news is local and national not the next city over. if you want more coverage get a station in niagara falls
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob
    so which station is in niagara falls television news is local and national not the next city over. if you want more coverage get a station in niagara falls
    We can't afford to pave the streets let alone operate a news station

but you have all those millions from the Indians pave them with gold.LOL
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Niagara Falls has it's own newspaper, yet the Buffalo News loves to cram news about Niagara County into it's local section. I suggest forgetting about TV news and read the Buffalo News if you want to read about crime in the Falls.

If you must know, that's been a pet peeve of mine for a long time now - so it goes both ways. People in Buffalo think there's too much Niagara Falls news and people in Niagara Falls think there's too much Buffalo news.

I suggest owning a scanner - you get all the dirt firsthand.

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob
    but you have all those millions from the Indians pave them with gold.LOL
    hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter
    Niagara Falls has it's own newspaper, yet the Buffalo News loves to cram news about Niagara County into it's local section. I suggest forgetting about TV news and read the Buffalo News if you want to read about crime in the Falls.

If you must know, that's been a pet peeve of mine for a long time now - so it goes both ways. People in Buffalo think there's too much Niagara Falls news and people in Niagara Falls think there's too much Buffalo news.

I suggest owning a scanner - you get all the dirt firsthand.
    The Buffalo newspaper reports stories that the Gazette tends to forget, as a matter of fact the Gazette is so shotty, it sometimes has to go and read the Buffalo News just to report something in the Gazette

Here's a link with a video

http://www.wivb.com/global/video/pop...AdTag=homepage

Police Respond to Outbreak of Violence

(Buffalo, NY, August 22, 2006) - - It was a wild and dangerous night for Buffalo Police. All night long, our cameras have been scrambling with them to cover a rash of violent crimes and accidents. News 4's Melissa Holmes reports from E-District headquarters with more you'll only see on News 4.

http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5309829

Gunfire Erupts on West Side

(Buffalo, NY, August 22, 2006) - - Gunfire erupted on the city's west side Monday night after an officer with the newly-formed Buffalo Police Strike Force shot a man.

Investigators say the officer tried to stop a car driven by Demario McBride on West Avenue.

The officer then reportedly shot McBride in the leg when he made a threatening motion.

McBride is recovering at ECMC. He had a warrant out of Chautauqua County.

The officer is on administrative leave pending an internal investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter
    I don't think a great many people realize how much crime really occurs in this city. And Funk is only posting some of the shootings and murders. Let me assure you , there are more. Anyone that has a scanner can tell you that. I like that it educates the people that do view this msg page. There are so many people that don't have any comprehension about what goes on every single night in this city. I had no idea that people get their houses shot up, and get shot at themselves, nearly every single day/night in this city. As well I believe it demonstrates the fact Bflo Cops do have a difficult , dangerous job.
    The same thing happens here except it's not every night and day like Buffalo, but when it happens they neglect to talk about it here as well.....

PS, this is for any of those crackhead people that think Buffalo Cops are safe:

http://www.knowgangs.com/gang_resour...an2004_012.htm

The Bloods, a Buffalo street gang with national connections, are living up to their name.

When one gang member used too many bullets last month in an unsuccessful attempt to kill someone the Bloods' leaders wanted dead, fellow gang members killed the shooter with the bad aim, police said.

Another Blood met the same fate last month when he failed to find an individual the gang had decided should die.

"It's called "cleaning your plate.' If you don't "clean your plate, I kill you,' " a city police investigator said of the gang's justification for killing two of its own.

Now even cops may be fair game to the Bloods. Authorities issued a warning to city police officers that local Bloods, who number about 100, will be pledging over the Christmas holidays to progress into the gang's hierarchy. Any Blood who kills a cop advances.

Buffalo police are taking the threat seriously. They already estimate up to 40 percent of this year's 59 city homicides are gang-related.
    And the same warning will soon be passed along to other local police departments, urging officers to be on their guard.

"This information came out in a homicide investigation when talking to witnesses and suspects," said Claudia Childs, the Buffalo Police Department's chief of investigative services. "Police work is a dangerous profession, and hopefully our officers will be cautious."

The gang started 30 years ago on the West Coast and gradually spread across the country as gang life found glamour in movies and music.

The Bloods, Childs said, live by different rules than most people.

"It's a totally different mentality and morality," Childs said.

Involved in homicides

Homicide investigators believe the Bloods participated in several recent killings, pushing the city's current homicide rate to 15 more than last year's total of 44.

The escalating trend in drug gang violence, police say, could eclipse the bloodshed brought on by the gang wars of the early 1990s. That's when Donald "Sly" Green and Darryl "Reese" Johnson ordered executions of competing gang members. That propelled the city's murder rate to its high of 92 in 1994.

"It seems like the Bloods settle their debts with death. There's no middle ground," said Detective Sgt. Robert Chella of the Buffalo Police Department's Special Services, an intelligence-gathering unit.

The Bloods are by far the best organized of the dozens of street gangs in the city, according to Capt. Mark Morgan, head of the Major Crimes Unit, which investigates homicides.

"We have some homicides that we can connect to active members of the Bloods," Morgan said. "These people are not afraid to use a gun. They conduct business with guns and violence."

Police Commissioner Rocco J. Diina and Erie County District Attorney Frank J. Clark acknowledged that the Bloods represent a serious threat to the safety of the community.

"We've been monitoring their activities and believe they're involved in some of the recent violence," Diina said.

Clark said he has assigned two senior prosecutors to work with city and Cheektowaga police in pursuing the gang.

Evidence found at a Nov. 16 robbery of three men staying in a Cheektowaga hotel provided authorities additional insights into how the Bloods operate, police said.

Though no Bloods currently live in Cheektowaga, Capt. James Morath of the Cheektowaga Police Department said the gang members go to Walden Galleria and sometimes rent rooms at hotels in the town.

Gang's inner workings

The high level of organization in the gang and its secretive ways have left even longtime investigators stunned.
    Gang members use their own coded alphabet to write messages on the sides of buildings that appear as meaningless graffiti to the untrained eye.

Each member has his own "Book of Knowledge," a handwritten essay that recounts the history of the Bloods, its customs and symbols, including phrases that bear secret meanings to gang members.

New gang members are required to attend "powwows," where older gang members quiz them to make sure they have learned all there is to know about the Bloods.

Those who fail these quizzes pay a price.

"You must know the various signs and symbols of the gang. If you don't, you get what's known as a beat-down. You get beat up, and you have to take it," Chella said. "Can you imagine if schoolteachers operated that way? What an incentive to learn."

Buffalo is divided into four "sets" that the gang claims as its territories. They include the near East Side, the West Side, Central Park and the Bailey-Delavan neighborhood, according to detectives. They say that though membership in the Bloods is mainly African-Americans, whites and Hispanics are permitted to join in Buffalo.

Each set has a leader who is known as an "original gangster," who is older and more experienced in the ways of the gang.

"The original gangsters that are up here either come from New York City or the West Coast, because the gang members here are young and don't have a lot of experience," Chella said.

"There's a whole command structure," he added. "There's even an original gangster for the female members of the gang."

Female gang members play an important role, according to Police Officer James Reese, a member of Buffalo's gang-suppression unit.

"The women act as mules, carrying in the drugs and packaging the drugs, and they'll even do shifts selling the drugs. The men mainly handle money," Reese said.

The advantage to using females, he said, is that police are not as likely to stop women.

Disguising bad intent

The Bloods have their own code phrases, police say.

"Revoke your license" translates into "either get out of our territory or we will kill you."

Playing off the phrase "20/20 vision," the Bloods say "22-22" when they want someone "murdered on sight."

The code word for police officer is "Roscoe," a word from old-time gangster movies that meant gun, and "apples in the bowl" means there is a meeting of Bloods.

The gang also puts a slash through the letter "C" any time it writes a word with C in it. The slash is meant as a symbol of disrespect for the Crips, a rival street gang that started on the West Coast in the late 1960s, a few years before the Bloods.

A dog paw is a symbol that represents the Bloods, and members will often have it as a tattoo to identify them. Or gang members will wear red clothing for identification.

"They'll wear red shirts, baseball caps, bandannas, Philadelphia Phillies and Cincinnati Reds jackets, but the ones who want to be really slick and discreet about it wear red sneakers," said Reese, the gang-suppression officer.

An 18-year-old dressed in a red sweat shirt beneath his winter coat and standing on Broadway near Fillmore Avenue last week said he was glad the Bloods are in town.

"I'd love something like that. It's exciting. I have Bloods in my family out in California," said the teen, who would identify himself only as John.

But others do not share his enthusiasm.

"When the Bloods come in, they'll try and get their own territory, and there's going to be shooting up," a 27-year-old East Side man said.

Conditions right for Bloods

Jared L. Lewis, a national expert on gangs and director of Know Gangs in Wisconsin, said circumstances in Buffalo were ripe for the Bloods.

"I attribute it to the breakdown of the family structure, poverty, racism and the negative influence of the media with movies and music that inspire and glamorize the gangster lifestyle," Lewis said.

The Bloods, he said, did not select Buffalo, but the young people here "chose the Bloods."

As to why young people would be willing to commit acts of violence for the gang, Reese offered an opinion:

"There are some kids out there so desperate to belong to a group that they'll do anything. The more ruthless the killing, the more respect you get."

The Bloods' coded graffiti would appear to attest to that.

Examples can be found on hundreds of buildings throughout the city, and one line on a closed grocery store at Brinkman and Rohe streets needs no decoding. It states: "Who want gunplay." Playing down the graffiti, Patricia Gauthier, president of the Brinkman Street Block Club, said teenagers in the neighborhood are responsible for the writing and not gangs.

"I think it is a scare tactic. They try to pretend they're a gang. They see it on TV and the backs of CDs," Gauthier said. "The kids here take pride in their neighborhood, and they're just marking up the building for the fun of it."

But police take the graffiti seriously and believe the Bloods wrote it to challenge another gang in the city.

Police take the threat of the Bloods so seriously that they say they are trying to head off a repeat of the early 1990s, when gang violence became a deadly way of life.

"Before it spreads, you've got to get to these kids. Parents and the community have to be involved," Chella said. "If not, our homicide count will continue to grow. We're seeing the rise in it now."

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information