Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Crime Reports

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...30/1033936.asp

New initiative targets lower East Side gangs

Broadway-Fillmore will be the focus

By JAY REY
    News Staff Reporter
    8/30/2006

Buffalo is working on a strategy to weed out the gangs and drugs on the lower East Side.
    U.S. Attorney Terrance P. Flynn joined Mayor Byron W. Brown on Monday at the Col. Matt Urban Center on Broadway to announce an initiative for a new "Weed and Seed" program, targeting the Broadway-Fillmore neighborhood, one of the city's most violent.

"This will be an additional tool in our arsenal to reduce crime and violence in our city," Brown said.

Buffalo has had 51 murders so far this year, compared with 56 during all of last year. Police blame the spike in violence on drug warfare and a resurgence in gang activity.

Weed and Seed programs, created by the Justice Department, combine the efforts of the police, prosecutors and community activists to "weed" out violent crime in neighborhoods and "seed" it with social and redevelopment opportunities, Flynn said.

Sen. Charles E. Schumer, D-N.Y., announced nearly two weeks ago that Buffalo had received a $175,000 Weed and Seed grant from the Justice Department.

Officials gave no specifics Monday on how they would use the funds or tackle the neighborhood problems, but spoke, in general, about boosting police presence, stepping up federal prosecution and creating more social events and safe havens for neighborhood young people, among other efforts.

Buffalo has used the Weed and Seed program the past five years to take guns off the streets in two city neighborhoods, one on the East Side, another on the West Side.

This new effort, the city's third Weed and Seed program, involves a five-year strategy broadly focused on suppressing gang activity in the target area bounded by Sycamore Street on the north, Bailey Avenue on the east, William Street on the south and Jefferson Avenue on the west, said Oswaldo Mestre Jr., Buffalo's director of the Division of Citizen Services.

Mestre described it as the part of the city with the most violent crime and the most drug-related incidents.

"This is an area where we have seen a level of crime activity that we are concerned about," Brown said, "but it is also an area where we have active block clubs and enormous community support."

A program like this is a long time coming in Broadway-Fillmore, said Marlies A. Wesolowski, executive director of the Col. Matt Urban Center.

The Broadway-Fillmore neighborhood has high unemployment, high poverty and a large number of single-parent households, she said.

"We need to get the kids off the street and into community centers," she said. "We need to get the drugs and the gangs under control. We need more police presence and tougher prosecution.

"The problem we have in this part of the community," Wesolowski said, "is when they shut down a drug house it just moves down the street."

I am going to try and look up any stories I may have missed.....

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...30/8021306.asp

Man, 31, charged with shooting at woman

A man was charged Monday night with firing six shots at a woman during an argument two weeks ago, police said. The woman was not injured.
    Jerome C. Snow, 31, of Martha Avenue, was charged with reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a weapon.

Snow was arrested at 9:10 p.m. on Oregon Place by Northwest District Officers Thomas Sercu and Robert Yeates. Police said the incident occurred on Aug. 14 when Snow pulled out a gun and shot at the woman during a dispute at Oregon and Esser Avenue.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...30/5021306.asp

Man accepts plea deal in fatal stabbing

8/30/2006

A Buffalo man pleaded guilty Tuesday to a reduced charge of first-degree manslaughter for fatally stabbing his common-law wife in front of their 2-year-old daughter.
    Anthony Page, 51, accepted a prosecution plea deal on the reduced charge, as jury selection was beginning before Erie County Judge Timothy J. Drury. Page was charged with second-degree murder for stabbing Jill Ineson, 35, nine times with a large kitchen knife as they argued in their West Ferry Street home last Jan. 10.

Drury told Page he faces a prison term of 20 years when he returns to court for sentencing Nov. 22.

The couple had been arguing for months over Ineson's intentions to break off what her family described as an abusive relationship with Page, prosecutors Christopher J. Belling and Marni Bogart said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...01/2055445.asp

Bank robbed; man flees with about $1,500

A bank in North Buffalo was robbed Thursday afternoon by a man who demanded large bills, according to Northwest District police.
    The robbery occurred shortly before 1 p.m. at M&T Bank, 2303 Delaware Ave., according to reports.

A man wearing a white shirt and white shorts demanded cash from a teller; no weapon was displayed, police said.

The robber fled with approximately $1,500 in large bills, officers were told.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...02/1009401.asp

Citizens rally to stop the violence

"Enough is enough."
    "Stop the violence."

"Let it go."

"Keep love and peace in Buffalo."

That was the chant on the steps of City Hall during a rally Friday to stop the violence that has plagued Buffalo this year.

About 50 people gathered for the lunchtime rally. Some carried signs, banners, and pictures of homicide victims. Others wore T-shirts with slogans pleading for peace. At least one participant urged residents to cooperate with police.

Several of the large columns in front of City Hall were adorned with cut-out doves bearing the names of the 52 homicide victims so far this year in the city, plus their ages and the dates they were killed.

More than half of this year's homicide cases remain unsolved, said David Collins, one of the rally organizers and a speaker. For all of last year, there were 56 murders.

One of those in the audience Friday was Kelly McDonald - the mother of 16-year-old Brandon James McDonald. The Riverside High School student was shot to death in April as he sat among a group of friends on a porch at 155 Pennsylvania St. Brandon's great-aunt carried a poster featuring pictures of him at ages in his young life, including a baby picture, his eighth-grade graduation picture, and a photo of him in his football uniform for Riverside High.

"I'm here representing my son," said Kelly McDonald, adding that a trial in her son's case will be starting soon. "It's not easy. He's got two little sisters, and everything is different for them. Everything is different for all of us."

It's been tough for Jackie Livingston, too. The mother of 23-year-old Neval D. Fonville, who died in June after he was shot while sitting in a car on Watson Street. Livingston said the amount of violence the city is facing is unbelievable.

"I came out here to support what's going on. There's just too much violence . . . and unfortunately it took the life of my son," Livingston said.

The goal of the rally was to raise awareness that Buffalo is in a state of emergency, said Kenneth Pryor, one of the speakers. "We're calling on the mayor to coordinate with state and federal agencies to show a clear response to the problem," Pryor said. "Show accountability for what's happening in our communities."

Other speakers, such as Peter K.B. St. Jean, a University at Buffalo criminologist, urged the audience to cooperate with law enforcement officials investigating these crimes. Instead of closing ranks and becoming tight-lipped, St. Jean said, share with police all information that might help solve cases or stem the tide of violent crime.

"Do the things you know you're supposed to do," he said. "You need to step up, to help out, to give up information. Don't hide that information. If you have some evidence, you need to get that information to the police."

(Activist Rudolphus Boans Jr. leads a chant Friday on the steps of City Hall at a rally to end the violence that has claimed 52 lives in Buffalo so far this year.)

Elderly couple found dead in home

But if you ask Steven he will tell you the couple was killed by a couple fun loving boys whose prank went a bit too far. Not that they were beaten to death, like they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter
    But if you ask Steven he will tell you the couple was killed by a couple fun loving boys whose prank went a bit too far. Not that they were beaten to death, like they were.
    http://www.wkbw.com/Story.aspx?type=ln

Elderly Couple Found Dead in Buffalo Home

Sep 02, 2006 - A neighborhood is in shock, after an elderly couple was found dead inside their James Street home in Kaisertown.

Neighbors' first inkling that something was amiss came early this morning.

One resident says, "Lights, sirens -- it's getting absolutely ridiculous because it's a very, very quiet street."

This morning, it was the scene of a grisly discovery. Authorities think robbery may have been the motive for the killings. The victims' names have not been released. Neighbors say they're stunned.

One says, "I think it's a shame. Now people are gonna be scared, locking up their homes like crazy."

Residents of the block describe the couple as friendly. A neighbor says, "The best neighbors you could imagine -- he even cut my shrubs next to my house for me, for no charge -- just to be a neighbor." Others remember the wife as a friendly woman, not in the best of health, who doted on her cats.

Sources say the couple may have been beaten to death.

Says a neighbor, "I don't know why somebody would do something like that to a couple like that... they have two suspects from what I understand so hopefully that'll lead a trail to the perpetrators of this crime."

As the sad tally of those who've died due to violence in the city continues to climb, it serves as a grim reminder that the violence doesn't always occur in the streets. Sometimes, it finds its way inside as well.

If they really wanted to be effective, those folks wouldn't rally at City Hall during lunch. They should demonstrate at Genessee and Moselle at about midnight on Saturday.

And I see Dave Collins was mentioned in the article. Wasn't he one of the long-serving Buffalo Councilmen at Large who did nothing while Buffalo slowly slid into bankruptcy?
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

they didn't slide into bankruptcy

but yea, Collins was a Councilman for a long time. I don't fault him, he can't help that the people in his district were/are savages. As well with the erosion of manufacturing jobs in the area, his district I'm sure was hit hard with job losses. I don't blame the guy. I'm sure he doesn't favor the violence that occurs in the area he lives, he wouldn't be at these rally's if he did.

they didn't slide into bankruptcy
    Of course they did. Your political and wage agenda prohibits you from even speaking about it.

The City of Buffalo is in the municipal equivalent of Chapter 11. There is no equivalent to Chapter 7 (although DT Warren might have other infor).

The City is in receivership and the CB is functioning as the creditors committee.

NYS guarantees the repayment of the bonds which the CB floats to cover the City's operating expenses.

Without the CB, you wouldn't get paid next week.

wrong again

your warped thought process won't allow you to see the City has an operating surplus. It will be released shortly. Maybe you'll believe it then, if not , I don't care. We've been through this so many times it is boring. You believe what you want, I'll do the same. Maybe when the facts come out your outlook will change, probably not. Hey, are you happy that Trooper lost his leg ? He is a Union guy, and a well paid one at that. And a Cop as well, another nemisis for you. Hope this makes you happy. I'm sure his family isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter
    your warped thought process won't allow you to see the City has an operating surplus. It will be released shortly. Maybe you'll believe it then, if not , I don't care. We've been through this so many times it is boring. You believe what you want, I'll do the same. Maybe when the facts come out your outlook will change, probably not. Hey, are you happy that Trooper lost his leg ? He is a Union guy, and a well paid one at that. And a Cop as well, another nemisis for you. Hope this makes you happy. I'm sure his family isn't.
    You've got a warped mind, but I'll stick to the finances.

Coming out "shortly". Hardly. December of each year. Like most municipalities, the City is so incompetent it takes six months to close their books and go through an audit.

For newbies who might be misled by you, I'll go through this tedium again.

The COB counts as reveneues those proceeds the CB sends its way. Just like it records as reveneus the NYS aid that props up the COB. Proceeds from CB borrowings. Made solely to fund its operations and those of the COB.

The CB (Control Board) lists the shipment of the proceeds as expense.

There is no reporting entity combining the operations of the COB and the CB. So no one sees the whole picture, solely by looking at the financials of each, separately.

I have one idea that would clarify things though: the CB should be allowed to issue bonds without NYS gurantees which could only be bought by the pension funds of the unions of the City of Buffalo.

Would you be a buyer?

I can't believe what I just read

is this really where we are?

Is this the new union line?

Did I just see somebody equating being happy that soembody lost their leg with a citizen's displeasure with cops' compensation package??

How do the two relate?

The only implication I can see is that you are equating the "pain and suffering of only making 60K" because of the wage freeze with the pain and suffering of this trooper and his family.

So, because citizens are happy about the wage freeze they must HATE cops and want them to get hurt?

THAT is a truly disturbing line of reasoning.
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

No

Biker has posted he detests Union members. He has also posted he has disdain and no use for Police. And notice he didn't mention being bothered by the Trooper losing a leg. Hmmm, You tell me. And Biker, you posted your agenda, You don't want Newbies to be misled. LOL , that was funny. You want to guide people into your thinking. hahaha, that is funny. Thats what this is to you, an outlet to sway people into your thinking. We report, you decide. Let people make up their own minds, they don't need to be subjected to your propaganda. And your wrong, forcasts on budgets are made many times throughout the yr.

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information