Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tax Break For A Four-Legged Friend?

Tax Break For A Four-Legged Friend?

Listen to the Story
    October 14, 2009
    Republican Rep. Thaddeus McCotter of Michigan has thrown pet owners a bone by sponsoring a bill that would allow them to deduct animal care expenses from their taxes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_uiSuy7TR8

The bill, Humanity and Pets Partnered Through the Years, or "HAPPY Act," would allow taxpayers to deduct up to $3,500 a year. McCotter declined to speak to NPR, saying he is focused on more pressing legislation, but he did explain his motivation for the tax break on DoggyTV, a YouTube channel.
    "Well, we've had reports of people having to turn in pets because of the economic recession," he said. "And when you think about the relationship between people and pets and the humane way that it helps people think, it seemed to me to be a good idea, and we dropped it in" to the congressional hopper.
    To be sure, there are thousands of bills introduced every year, and most of them go nowhere. Then again, this bill has a pretty large target constituency: More than half of Americans own pets, by many estimations. That means there could be a lot of support for McCotter's proposal.
    Mixed Reaction
    Republican Rep. Thaddeus McCotter of Michigan is the primary sponsor of a bill in the House that would allow pet owners to deduct animal care expenses from their taxes. He calls it the HAPPY Act.
    Republican Rep. Thaddeus McCotter of Michigan is the primary sponsor of a bill in the House that would allow pet owners to deduct animal care expenses from their taxes. He calls it the HAPPY Act.
    "Are you kidding?" said Beth Selby, a visitor to the National Mall from Georgia, when asked about the proposed tax break. "Pets are an option. You know, when you take on a pet, you take on their care."
    Tom James from Pennsylvania was uncertain. "I'm sort of on the fence with this one." But Pablo Otera, also from Pennsylvania, said, "Hell, yeah." He said he recently spent $4,000 on his dog, Petey.
    "He fell off my truck, needed surgery, needed therapy, needed a whole bunch of stuff," Otera said. "That's $4,000 I could have deducted from my taxes ... and food, too!"
    You could almost see the adding machine in Otera's head. And that's part of the point, McCotter told DoggyTV: Anything that puts cash back in Americans' hands during the economic crisis is a good thing. If the bill gathers enough support, he says, it could actually go somewhere.
    "Obviously, health care is on the front burner," McCotter said. "But when the time comes, if people are letting their members know they like it, they'd like to see them get behind it, I think that will be helpful in this instance."
    But until there is a public outcry of support, it's unclear how doggedly the congressman will pursue the HAPPY Act.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

Gee, I wonder why he declined an interview with NPR? Maybe because they might ask a few tough questions, like "where does the money come from to cover this?", or, maybe "how can you justify tax deductions for pets when you claim that the US can't afford some form of health insurance for all citizens?"

This is just one of those bills that congressmen and state legislators in minority parties sponsor all the time just to say, "see, I tried" -- even when there's no way their bills will even get out of committee. In NYS, we have a bunch of Republicans in the state legislature (or running for it) agitating for a state constitutional convention -- after they no longer control the governorship or either house of the legislature. Why weren't they calling for a state convention when they actually had a chance to get one?

PS: I'm a pet owner who would easily get the full deduction every year, so I would love it if it actually happened. It's not, though, and I really resent this guy's BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    Gee, I wonder why he declined an interview with NPR? Maybe because they might ask a few tough questions, like "where does the money come from to cover this?", or, maybe "how can you justify tax deductions for pets when you claim that the US can't afford some form of health insurance for all citizens?"

This is just one of those bills that congressmen and state legislators in minority parties sponsor all the time just to say, "see, I tried" -- even when there's no way their bills will even get out of committee. In NYS, we have a bunch of Republicans in the state legislature (or running for it) agitating for a state constitutional convention -- after they no longer control the governorship or either house of the legislature. Why weren't they calling for a state convention when they actually had a chance to get one?

PS: I'm a pet owner who would easily get the full deduction every year, so I would love it if it actually happened. It's not, though, and I really resent this guy's BS.
    I would love a right off each year if possible. I spend more on my pet's care than some people spend on their kids. I am not complaining since my pets are part of our family. I can also understand why some people cannot afford to take pets to the Vet with prices they charge.

Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    Pablo Otera, also from Pennsylvania, said, "Hell, yeah." He said he recently spent $4,000 on his dog, Petey.

"He fell off my truck, needed surgery, needed therapy, needed a whole bunch of stuff," Otera said. "That's $4,000 I could have deducted from my taxes ... and food, too!"
    If your dog falls out of your truck you shouldn't own a dog.

Yesterday in Newark a small dog was attacked and killed by a coyote. The Newark police reported that the attack occurred while the owner was present "but did not have control of the dog" - meaning the dog was allowed to run off leash. The owner should be prosecuted for irresponsibly exposing his or her dog to such danger. where is the humane society on this one?

2 points regarding this bad legislation.

1. You have to support your claim with receipts and documentation. Who spends $3500.00 on their pet each year?

2. They are actually offering to refund more for your pet ($3500.00) than your child ($1000.00).

Just another way to BUY VOTES without really doing anything meaningful except taking money from one group (taxpayers) and giving it to another group (pet owners). Typical political ploy.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    If your dog falls out of your truck you shouldn't own a dog.

Yesterday in Newark a small dog was attacked and killed by a coyote. The Newark police reported that the attack occurred while the owner was present "but did not have control of the dog" - meaning the dog was allowed to run off leash. The owner should be prosecuted for irresponsibly exposing his or her dog to such danger. where is the humane society on this one?
    I certainly agree with you on this one. You have to be a responsible pet owner first & foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    1. You have to support your claim with receipts and documentation. Who spends $3500.00 on their pet each year?

2. They are actually offering to refund more for your pet ($3500.00) than your child ($1000.00).

Just another way to BUY VOTES without really doing anything meaningful except taking money from one group (taxpayers) and giving it to another group (pet owners). Typical political ploy.
    While we may not spend $3500.00 every year, believe me, we have in the past. Vet bills are high especially when you have more than one pet. All it takes is for one of them to develop a condition to empty your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by ichingtheory View Post
    While we may not spend $3500.00 every year, believe me, we have in the past. Vet bills are high especially when you have more than one pet. All it takes is for one of them to develop a condition to empty your pocket.

let's see --- $2500.00 to pet owners, $250.00 to the elderly on SS, $4500.00 to car buyers, $8000.00 to home buyers, billions to the banks, billions to the unions, billions to AIG, billions to GM, free health care, etc., etc., etc.

Obama, Reid and Pelosi : How can we buy more votes, hmmm, I know let's steal more money from the taxpayers and give it to more voting blocks. BWAAAA HAHAHAHA!!! It always worked like a charm before!!! BWAAAA HAHAHAHA!!!

They know just who to stoke!!!
    Last edited by mikenold; October 19th, 2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: content

let's see --- $2500.00 to pet owners, $250.00 to the elderly on SS, $4500.00 to car buyers, $8000.00 to home buyers, billions to the banks, billions to the unions, billions to AIG, billions to GM, free health care, etc., etc., etc.

Obama, Reid and Pelosi : How can we buy more votes, hmmm, I know let's steal more money from the taxpayers and give it to more voting blocks. BWAAAA HAHAHAHA!!! It always worked like a charm before!!! BWAAAA HAHAHAHA!!!

They know just who to stoke!!!
    Believe me, I would never vote for these clowns just to receive a tax break for my pets. I will pay whatever it takes for my pets whether I get a break or not.

Who goes to med school? The people who couldn't get into vet school.

About a month ago my dog started vomiting and was in obvious distress. I took her to the vet. $55 for the checkup, very reasonable. Then the vet suggested perfoming test to find the cause of the vomiting. The cost of the test would have been close to $1500.

I took my dog home, feed her rice and boiled ground beef, and a few days later she was fine.

Does anyone have any experince with pet health insurance? Is it as expensive as health insurance for humans? Does it cover most injuries or sickness or is it just a farce with lots of exclusions and exceptions?

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Who goes to med school? The people who couldn't get into vet school.

About a month ago my dog started vomiting and was in obvious distress. I took her to the vet. $55 for the checkup, very reasonable. Then the vet suggested perfoming test to find the cause of the vomiting. The cost of the test would have been close to $1500.

I took my dog home, feed her rice and boiled ground beef, and a few days later she was fine.

Does anyone have any experince with pet health insurance? Is it as expensive as health insurance for humans? Does it cover most injuries or sickness or is it just a farce with lots of exclusions and exceptions?
    I actually did a little homework on pet insurance awhile back. In my opinion, I believe it is worth it IF you sign up when pet is very young. signing up once they are older is very expensive rate wise. There are things it does not cover but if something bad happens to your pet, it is worth having.
    Happy to hear doggie feeling better!! You are one of the lucky ones. A friend of mine lost her dog after digesting part of a rug. Long story short, fiber got tangled up in intestines. She went into surgery but they couldn't save her. Sometines an Xray good idea if they are really ill and can pinpoint problem.

I will spend a ton on an animal but health care for humans coming out of my pocket. I vote no. Animals dont have attitudes and are loyal most folks I know suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466 View Post
    I will spend a ton on an animal but health care for humans coming out of my pocket. I vote no. Animals dont have attitudes and are loyal most folks I know suck.
    I hear you and respect your honesty. We also pay a ton to care for our animals but it is our money, right? As far as paying for someone else's health care.. no way do I want any part of it.

Believe me, I would never vote for these clowns just to receive a tax break for my pets. I will pay whatever it takes for my pets whether I get a break or not.
    I understand, I was never implying that you were being bought, but there are plenty of people who would use these excuses to keep these people in office.

I also love my dogs and would do anything within reason to keep them.

I understand, I was never implying that you were being bought, but there are plenty of people who would use these excuses to keep these people in office.

I also love my dogs and would do anything within reason to keep them.
    I knew what you meant and never took it the wrong way. Nice to know there are people like us out there that will take care of their pets. Too many people get pets and will not spend a dime on health care for them. Very sad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information