Thread: Oakwood Apartments on Harlem

Oakwood Apartments on Harlem

Anyone feel like the Oakwood Apartments on Harlem Road are pretty much suburban tenements? These buildings are a disgusting eyesore. The buildings are in a shambles and there are shopping carts laying all over the grounds.

This used to be a nice area of West Seneca. I wonder if the politicians ever drive through it. It's on the verge of turning into a ghetto.

The apartments on Harlem Road are a problem. The police are there on a regular basis. Unfortunately, older low end apartment buildings attract low end tenants. Rents are probably low enough that section 8 is the payment of choice. Many of these renters could care less about the neighborhood or the property. Bad tenants drive good tenants out very quickly. It's a place to crash and have the check mailed to.

If anybody sees code violations, they should call the code enfocement officer, William Czuprynski at 558-3237. Maybe if enough people call, he'll have to do something. But, don't bet on it.

__________________________________________________ ________________

The count says:

"It's better to look forward than backward."

Good to know I'm not the only one who has noticed. It's this kind of thing that starts the ball of decay rolling. The trash moves in, the good people move out, and, well, you know what happens after that.

Cool

Come on, that whole neighborhood is a slum.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy
    Come on, that whole neighborhood is a slum.
    I agree, but it wasn't always. Unfortunately, it's getting even slummier by the day - and it probably doesn't have to be - it's just that the town doesn't give a rip about the crummy apartments and the crummy tenants.

Unfortunately, all first ring suburbs are seeing this. Cheektowaga has been extremely vulnerable to this blight. West Seneca is seeing it on Harlem Road in those aging apartment buildings. Also the city line area off Seneca around Edson and Duerstein are pretty rough. The code enforcement office needs to get involved. That may be asking a lot.

The count says:

Looks like they can yours for the right price:

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite...lww2t006a00001

moonshine
    Based on the CAP rate provided, they are probably asking somewhere around 2.4 million.

According to the income figures, the rents average $532 per month per unit. I wonder if the assessments for the property are correct? The town is getting less than $1000 per year per unit. Most homes in West Seneca are paying 3 times that or more.

Is there 100% occupancy because they are section 8?

The buildings are 43 years old and have seen better days. No wonder they are for sale. What is the asking price?

The count says:

If I had the money, I'd buy them and knock them down. Unfortunately, only the rich can afford to invest in tenements.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter
    Anyone feel like the Oakwood Apartments on Harlem Road are pretty much suburban tenements? These buildings are a disgusting eyesore. The buildings are in a shambles and there are shopping carts laying all over the grounds.

This used to be a nice area of West Seneca. I wonder if the politicians ever drive through it. It's on the verge of turning into a ghetto.
    I agree that the landloard shold be sited ny the Building inspector. Those aprtments are starting to make the rest of the area look bad! It's a shame because that area has seen a good amount of growth in the past few years.

Thread Information