Thread: BPO, musicians re-up on contract

BPO, musicians re-up on contract

Three months before the current pact expires, the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra and the union representing musicians have settled on a new three-year contract.

Officials called the settlement, which was reached after just five bargaining sessions, unprecedented.

"We are very pleased that these talks have produced an agreement that both recognizes the tremendous talents of the orchestra as well as the financial challenges and goals the board is intent on addressing," said Ange Fatta, chairman of the BPO board of trustees.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/s...ml?jst=b_ln_hl
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

For anyone who still thinks that musicians are overpayed, realize that many of the musicians support families on this salary.

Good point, WTS. I agree with you.

In addition to that, I think musicians often have expensive drug habits to suppport.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    Good point, WTS. I agree with you.

In addition to that, I think musicians often have expensive drug habits to suppport.
    I'd forgotten about that, so you see my point; drugs together with house and car payments, not much of a salary, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by wheresthesun
    For anyone who still thinks that musicians are overpayed, realize that many of the musicians support families on this salary.
    It's not high at all. Getting a job with any orchestra of the BPO's caliber is extremely difficult, and with the number of musicians out there they can be very picky. Many of the BPO musicians supplement their BPO salary by having students, playng in other ensembles, private functions, etc.

Thread Information