Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downsizing Lackawanna

Thumbs up Downsizing Lackawanna

Remember I told you all on Change Lackawanna that back in August of 2008 I had a Lackawanna City Council agenda item on down sizing but I could not get a second when I made the motion. The good ole' boys wanted no part of it.
    Well it is not going to stop there! I have Kevin Gaughn's number in my phone and I check with him every few months about him coming to Lackawanna. He said told me when he is done with the towns and villages votes he will be heading our way. So stay tuned and encouraged, help in on the way!

There are pros and cons to the down sizing of city government so this is a decision that must be done in a democratic process with majority rule.

Suggested 3 Councilpersons at large OR a Council President and a Councilperson to represent Wards 1 and 2, + Councilperson to represent 3 and 4.

I lean to the 3 at-large and do away with the "WARD labeling". I hate it that people look down upon someone who lives in Ward 1, but they didn't care when they got rich off of it. Everyone that has there roots starting in the First Ward know how really cool we are!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I would at minimum keep it at 5....1 super and 2 cronies leave too many ways to screw the non-government worker/non-government business owner.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I would at minimum keep it at 5....1 super and 2 cronies leave too many ways to screw the non-government worker/non-government business owner.
    Once again....

You refuse to answer......

Can you give me an example of a way you can get screwed any harder with 3 than you've been getting screwed with 5 or 7?

You're the one crazy enough to pay $5,000 a year in property taxes in Cheektowaga. How's that "more representation" been working out for you?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Enough View Post
    Once again....

You refuse to answer......

Can you give me an example of a way you can get screwed any harder with 3 than you've been getting screwed with 5 or 7?

You're the one crazy enough to pay $5,000 a year in property taxes in Cheektowaga. How's that "more representation" been working out for you?
    Common sense watching how it works now. It doesn't mean 5 people can't screw the non-government worker/non-government business owner as bad as 3 could. To remove the cost of 2 council people from 5 to 3 doesn't seem worth the savings versus the possible screwing.

Common sense watching how it works now. It doesn't mean 5 people can't screw the non-government worker/non-government business owner as bad as 3 could. To remove the cost of 2 council people from 5 to 3 doesn't seem worth the savings versus the possible screwing.
    Bull....

5 can and do screw you just as easy as 3 and it isn't about the savings as much as it's about the message...

Common sense watching how it works now.
    ...and please don't preach "common sense" as you pay $5,000 a year in property taxes....

That shouldn't even be allowed and says a lot about you.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Enough View Post
    ...and please don't preach "common sense" as you pay $5,000 a year in property taxes....

That shouldn't even be allowed and says a lot about you.
    says what about me? I bitch about it.

says what about me? I bitch about it.
    It says maybe you should listen to the opinion of others on ways to correct it. It's obvious your towns way of doing things isn't working. If I was paying that much I'd be doing anything to shrink the size of my government!

What message are you trying to send???

Thumbs up It IS about the message it sends to career politicians + it is totally to save money

Lackawanna has a Council President who makes $16,500/year
    and 4 Council Members who each make $13,500/year
    TOTAL =$ 70,500/year

If we vote for 3 Council Members at large =$40,500/year

SAVINGS =$30,000/year

Nice example of cost conscious government trying to save money to put into use toward for something that will benefit ALL of the City of Lackawanna. The money could be put toward the desperately needed community center in the City of Lackawanna.

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    Lackawanna has a Council President who makes $16,500/year
    and 4 Council Members who each make $13,500/year
    TOTAL =$ 70,500/year

If we vote for 3 Council Members at large =$40,500/year

SAVINGS =$30,000/year

Nice example of cost conscious government trying to save money to put into use toward for something that will benefit ALL of the City of Lackawanna. The money could be put toward the desperately needed community center in the City of Lackawanna.
    Or.........

You could try a little harder to save taxpayers MONEY!!!!!

Why is it governments responsibility to provide a community center????

Thumbs up Isn't it all about "Community" ?

The City of Lackawanna pays the salaries and lots of money in the Senior Center on Martin Road.
    Why should the rest of the community get discriminated on and barred from activities and services that a center provides?
    Public and private money go into pretty much all centers in some form or another. We are only trying to get our kids off the street and get them into adult supervised clubs and athletic activities so they have no time on their hands to get into trouble. What is wrong with this? Also the center could be home to numerous inter-disciplinary services such as domestic violance to teaching young men how to be Dads. What is wrong with this?
    Remember it takes a whole village to raise a child, our diverse community needs to come together and learn from each other, cook and eat together. Now that is the real Lackawanna back in our parents day.

The City of Lackawanna pays the salaries and lots of money in the Senior Center on Martin Road.
    Who pays the salaries and lots of money in the Senior Center????

Why should the rest of the community get discriminated on and barred from activities and services that a center provides?
    Nobody is being discriminated against. Who’s being “barred”? You want a center you pay for it.

But if you’re going to say, “our residents pay for it with their taxes” I want you to tell me the medium income of your community.

I want you to tell me that residents enjoying the benefits of a community center are not “paying for it” off the backs of other state residents and aren’t collecting HEAP, WIC, Low-Income Credits and all the other taxpayer subsidized programs. It’s INEXCUSIBLE to believe that people are benefiting from a “community center” paid for by the proceeds of others that will never benefit from it!

We are only trying to get our kids off the street and get them into adult supervised clubs and athletic activities so they have no time on their hands to get into trouble. What is wrong with this?
    It’s not taxpayers responsibility to “keep kids busy”, that’s a family’s responsibility.

Also the center could be home to numerous inter-disciplinary services such as domestic violance to teaching young men how to be Dads. What is wrong with this?
    It’s not my responsibility to pay to “teach young men to be dads”. It is there personal responsibility to know how. And if they don’t know how we have laws on the books already to deal with that.

Remember it takes a whole village to raise a child,
    Is that what you think? It takes a village? Then you better move to a different village because your village is broke, living off the backs of others and can’t afford it!

Answer me this…

“How much of my money should I be allowed to keep”?

I will be happy to vote YES to downsizing here making all wards equally represented by three councilpersons.
    Can't wait till Kevin heads our way....

Thumbs up

We don't have to wait. We can start doing our homework now.
    How many people, do you think, will vote for downsizing?

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
    We don't have to wait. We can start doing our homework now.
    How many people, do you think, will vote for downsizing?
    WHO CARES how many...I will NOT speculate. Hopefully enough to make it count!!!

The more towns/villages etc. say yes, the better the odds that all communities will come on board. Orchard Park proved that by having limiting polling areas and making people wait in line....but, they voted yes to downsizing and now, the word is out. I would bet all places move in this direction!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information