Thread: Lackawanna Schools Pre-K Program

Lackawanna Schools Pre-K Program

While we have many concerns about our city, let's not forget about the school. After all our people, especially the children, are our most valuable asset.
    Calling on ALL parents and concerned citizens to be aware that the school district is considering (Nov. Board Meeting) making changes to the Pre-K program.
    1. Decreasing current number of classes(5) to two with half day sessions.
    2. Eliminating the entire program due to cost.

I am outraged by this. It is not our children's fault that someone has mismanaged taxpayer monies by overspending on administrative personnel etc. Board members have (over the years) given their friends/family teacher aide jobs and now we have an excess of teacher aides in the middle/high school not being fully worked, high end administrative costs and unnecessary expenditures. Yet, at the elementarty school where the NEED IS THE GREATEST, a program may be eliminated because there is no money? Folks, we are reaping the harvest of years of the spoils system in our schools!!!!! If anything, our school system should be working toward joining with another district to ensure future viability. If not, we may suffer a lot more down the road than just this one program.

The issue is...what will become of our children? The drop out rate at the high school is currently in excess and unacceptable. What will happen in years to come when we cut out this program and create a year delay to much needed early academic and social intervention? PARENTS PLEASE GET INVOLVED.The burden of this defense should NOT be on the building Principal to explain a numbers game why we need this program. It needs to be on US as our children are our future. We need to DEMAND that the district cut elsewhere in the budget and defend/support the future of our children's education.
    Because Lackawanna is a "small city school district" we are compared with similar school districts (4 others) in New York State. Check this out...see how we compare and then, DEMAND the school district find another solution!!!!!
    Last edited by literal; October 15th, 2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: add color
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by literal View Post
    While we have many concerns about our city, let's not forget about the school. After all our people, especially the children, are our most valuable asset.
    Calling on ALL parents and concerned citizens to be aware that the school district is considering (Nov. Board Meeting) making changes to the Pre-K program.
    1. Decreasing current number of classes(5) to two with half day sessions.
    2. Eliminating the entire program due to cost.

I am outraged by this. It is not our children's fault that someone has mismanaged taxpayer monies by overspending on administrative personnel etc. Board members have (over the years) given their friends/family teacher aide jobs and now we have an excess of teacher aides in the middle/high school not being fully worked, high end administrative costs and unnecessary expenditures. Yet, at the elementarty school where the NEED IS THE GREATEST, a program may be eliminated because there is no money? Folks, we are reaping the harvest of years of the spoils system in our schools!!!!! If anything, our school system should be working toward joining with another district to ensure future viability. If not, we may suffer a lot more down the road than just this one program.

The issue is...what will become of our children? The drop out rate at the high school is currently in excess and unacceptable. What will happen in years to come when we cut out this program and create a year delay to much needed early academic and social intervention? PARENTS PLEASE GET INVOLVED.The burden of this defense should NOT be on the building Principal to explain a numbers game why we need this program. It needs to be on US as our children are our future. We need to DEMAND that the district cut elsewhere in the budget and defend/support the future of our children's education.
    Because Lackawanna is a "small city school district" we are compared with similar school districts (4 others) in New York State. Check this out...see how we compare and then, DEMAND the school district find another solution!!!!!
    Completely agree! I guess people would hate to know that i choose not to enroll my children in LA schools because a Charter school would offer them much more. No it's not the one in Lackawanna either. I think the school board should look upon these charter schools which find a way to have extended days, free after school programs, Extra cirrucular activities. They get the same funding from the state and somehow can give these children much more opertunity than a district school. Im thinking way too much overhead BS with these district schools. We need to re-evaul the school board and see if any downsizing can be done to save these programs for these kids. It would be super to be able to send my children to school 10 minutes away but until Lackawanna gets up to par and i can legally send them anywhere, i choose to keep them right where they are at!

I thought that NYS requires public schools to offer Pre-k programs.

Certainly cutting pre-k in any school district is penny-wise and dollar foolish, but especially in a city district with significant population of low income families as well as immigrant families. Early childhood education is so much more important than many realize. Studies have repeatedly shown that getting children from poor families or families where English isn't spoken into headstart/pre-k programs greatly improves these children's chances for academic success.

Thread Information