Thread: Corruption cauldron: To fix Albany — term limits

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Corruption cauldron: To fix Albany — term limits

Corruption cauldron: To fix Albany — term limits

The corruption case against Speaker Sheldon Silver has prompted more calls for reform of the Legislature, which has seen two dozen-plus members (and counting) leave office under ethical or criminal clouds in the past 15 years.

With US Attorney Preet Bharara hinting that more state officials may be in hot water, the bandwagon is likely to gain even more momentum.

http://nypost.com/2015/01/27/corrupt...y-term-limits/

Close the taxpayer-guaranteed (and longevity-rewarding) defined-benefit public pension for legislators and other elected officials; instead, offer them a defined-contribution plan, such as the one sponsored by the State University of New York.

Eliminate the leader-controlled pay stipends now received by three-quarters of legislators.

Equalize members’ staff budgets.
    Think out of the box. No pension. 401k. Teach the political class the value of saving for one's own retirement.

Of course, SUNY also offers its employees the opportunity to participate in the defined benefit plan if they so chose. The attractiveness of the defined contribution plan (run through TIAA-CREF) is that it is portable and can be taken with you if you move from a SUNY school to a private college or if you accept a position out of state. Many faculty like the mobility it offers because many of them never last long enough at one school to get tenure. Most colleges & universities offer TIAA-CREF to their employees

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Just offer a 401k plan. Nothing more. No grandfathering period.

Here we go again - trying to limit the choice of voters because you can't devise a platform and candidates that appeal to a majority of them.

Term limits are an affirmative action program for the politically handicapped. Maybe we should just have politically handicapped voting booths for the losers that count their votes twice to give their inept platforms and candidates a chance at overcoming the will of the people.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Here we go again. Someone trying to keep status quo alive and well.

Term limits for NYS politicians is fine. I see where you are coming from but the downside of not having term limits are far worse than not having term limits.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Here we go again - trying to limit the choice of voters because you can't devise a platform and candidates that appeal to a majority of them.

Term limits are an affirmative action program for the politically handicapped. Maybe we should just have politically handicapped voting booths for the losers that count their votes twice to give their inept platforms and candidates a chance at overcoming the will of the people.
    I at one time thought that not having term limits would allow the really good politicians stay in office. I now think there really aren't any really good politicians. If there is a term limit for the president, why not have term limits for congress and state legislatures?

The percentage of registered voters who vote is small. Those that do vote, vote by name recognition. They really don't know who they are voting for... just saw that name over and over again in the mass mailings they got. BTW, I vote in every primary and election. I cross party lines and make an effort to have a conversation with the candidates.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Quote Originally Posted by OneEmerald View Post
    I at one time thought that not having term limits would allow the really good politicians stay in office. I now think there really aren't any really good politicians. If there is a term limit for the president, why not have term limits for congress and state legislatures?

The percentage of registered voters who vote is small. Those that do vote, vote by name recognition. They really don't know who they are voting for... just saw that name over and over again in the mass mailings they got. BTW, I vote in every primary and election. I cross party lines and make an effort to have a conversation with the candidates.
    So now we are going to limit the choices for those who do vote because of the people who don't vote? Pure insanity.

We should lower the speed limit on the Thruway to 40 mph because the people who don't drive on the Thruway don't need to drive over 40 mph. Yep, that's the ticket.

If we are going to limit the choices of REAL voters, then maybe we should also limit the choices of pseudo voters. Want to vote with your feet? Nope, only 1% of a political division's population is allowed to move each year. Want to vote with your dollars? Nope, once you shop at Wegmans or Tops then you have to keep shopping there until a new shopper is willing to take your place.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    So now we are going to limit the choices for those who do vote because of the people who don't vote? Pure insanity.

We should lower the speed limit on the Thruway to 40 mph because the people who don't drive on the Thruway don't need to drive over 40 mph. Yep, that's the ticket.

If we are going to limit the choices of REAL voters, then maybe we should also limit the choices of pseudo voters. Want to vote with your feet? Nope, only 1% of a political division's population is allowed to move each year. Want to vote with your dollars? Nope, once you shop at Wegmans or Tops then you have to keep shopping there until a new shopper is willing to take your place.

Actually we are not limiting the choices by any measurable amount.

We are talking about term limits of 1 person.

In Cheektowaga lets say we have 60,000 residents. If term limits apply to 1 person on the board you still have 59,999 people to chose from.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Actually we are not limiting the choices by any measurable amount.

We are talking about term limits of 1 person.

In Cheektowaga lets say we have 60,000 residents. If term limits apply to 1 person on the board you still have 59,999 people to chose from.
    So I guess if we said people could not be Lutherans you'd be OK with that because there are over 400 other Christian religions they can join?

BS. If the voters of his district didn't want Silver to represent them then they have a very simply method of achieving that - VOTE FOR SOMEONE ELSE!

What next, alternating party candidates? Democrats can only run every other election to give Republicans a chance to "serve"?

If you don't like who I vote for then go ahead and vote for someone else instead of trying to prevent me from voting for my chosen candidate.

Thread Information