Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FREE Places to go target practicing around WNY?

FREE Places to go target practicing around WNY?

Where can one go for target practice which is free?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Thumbs up Free target shooting

What do you mean?

1. Free (easy)-open access to public?
    2. Free of charge?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The place I go to occasionally in niagara county. I'll write down the street names next time I head out that way. Another poster asked about going to the range.

For less than $300 per year you can join the Tonawandas Sportsmen's Club. We have an indor pistol range, an outdoor pistol range, and outdoor rifle range, trap, skeet, and a sporting clay course, along with about 300 acres of hunting land. We have a large lodge with banquet facilities, bar, and kitchen.

It is just across the creek in Pendleton at 5657 Killian Road. About 7 miles from the Boulevard Mall

Alternatively, you can target practice in most New York State Forest but you can't use clay targets or glass bottles. The two state forest closest to Buffalo are Lost Nation State forest just east of Arcarde and East Otto State Forest just south of Springville.

However, the cost of gas and time traveling back and forth to those state forests from Buffalo would soon exceed the annual membership fee at Tonawandas Sportsmen's Club.

Isn't there a public range in Amherst too? I think on Maple? I recall seeing the stands and high dirt berm?

I might be mistaken on it being a public-use range, might be a private club-type range.

Of course, if you have any friends out in the sticks, you can always go there. Maybe even help your buddy build a small (3-4 stand) range

I heard you can shoot on state land.... does that include all state land, or is that just specific parcels?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by NBuffaloResident View Post
    Isn't there a public range in Amherst too? I think on Maple? I recall seeing the stands and high dirt berm?

I might be mistaken on it being a public-use range, might be a private club-type range.

Of course, if you have any friends out in the sticks, you can always go there. Maybe even help your buddy build a small (3-4 stand) range
    Not anymore. It is currently under clean up by Benderson (I think) to become a village common type strip mall. There was quite a hub bub about it.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    For less than $300 per year you can join the Tonawandas Sportsmen's Club. We have an indor pistol range, an outdoor pistol range, and outdoor rifle range, trap, skeet, and a sporting clay course, along with about 300 acres of hunting land. We have a large lodge with banquet facilities, bar, and kitchen.

It is just across the creek in Pendleton at 5657 Killian Road. About 7 miles from the Boulevard Mall

Alternatively, you can target practice in most New York State Forest but you can't use clay targets or glass bottles. The two state forest closest to Buffalo are Lost Nation State forest just east of Arcarde and East Otto State Forest just south of Springville.

However, the cost of gas and time traveling back and forth to those state forests from Buffalo would soon exceed the annual membership fee at Tonawandas Sportsmen's Club.
    family rates?

I wanna say around here somewhere there is a bunch of "lanes" you can use first come first serve. I have only been there twice, and it was over a year ago. Can anyone clarify?

View Larger Map

If it's on the road that runs between 77 and 98, it's a private club for blackpowder shooters : Oakfield-Alabama Hunt club. They did have open shooting days at one time. Members get lane choice.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayingKoi View Post
    If it's on the road that runs between 77 and 98, it's a private club for blackpowder shooters : Oakfield-Alabama Hunt club. They did have open shooting days at one time. Members get lane choice.
    I'm pretty sure that's near the place I'm talking about. I know somewhere on that road are a bunch of berms and people just park and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's near the place I'm talking about. I know somewhere on that road are a bunch of berms and people just park and shoot.
    That's the place I'm talking about: Oakfield-Alabama Hunt Club. I'm sure people just show up and shoot, but I wouldn't take the chance since it is private property. They did have non member days. I'd give them a shout. There are people not far from there that have exotic animals including a camel. I laugh every time I drive past there and think of how it would be if the camel got out and ran across the range.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayingKoi View Post
    That reminded me that I was told a few years ago by a DEC ECO that there are berms for target practice on the public land in either the Oak Orchard Wildlife Management Area and the Tonawanda Wildlife Area. Call the DEC and ask about them.

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    I heard you can shoot on state land.... does that include all state land, or is that just specific parcels?
    There is no public land in Erie County on which you can target practice or hunt. In Amherst, you can't even discharge a firearm on private land (there is a "farmer's permit" exception which is mostly used by golf clubs to scare off the geese.)

However, you can hunt and target practice in just about all of the state forest and state reforestation areas in Catteraugus county.

Thumbs up

Keep an eye on a new public range: click the link http://www.swatstore.com/page/1293973

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information