Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Street In Buffalo

Wild Irish Rose for special occasions

Actually, I drove down Detroit today. There's so few houses there anymore that it's really a quiet street.

I really prefer the look of empty, maintained (yes, there were some maintained lots) to boarded up houses.

Regardless, I'm with Michele when she says that Broadway Fillmore isn't as bad as many claim it to be. I live in the area and I've seen much worse. It's getting better as people realize this.

If landlords were really held responsible for the type of people they rented to, I think there would be a lot less problems. I don't know of any houses around here that are owner occupied and have dealers working out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by kcr
    Well I have also heard a lot of stories about Buffalo that had me a bit concerned. It ranged from frequent random shooting from gangs to a high organized crime (mafia) area. I was also told if stay out of areas I don't belong I will be just fine. I haven't been to Buffalo yet; I am coming up for a visit this coming week and will be coming up to attend UB starting in the fall. This thread among others on the site really makes me feel pretty good about my decision to come up. Basically Buffalo sounds like any big city, USA. Now my only concern is surviving the winter. It never snows here. Thanks for all the valuable information.
    You will probably be out at the North Campus. It is out in the middle of Amherst. But if you do end up at the South the neigborhood can be dodgey. There is a subway that can take you downtown from the South campus. Most of you youngsters like to hit Chippewa street.
    If you are going to be here Thursday head down town to Lafayette square. Free music with a few thousand people. The Blues Travelers are playing this week they go on about seven but the warm up bands start around five. After they finish every body heads over to Chippewa a few blocks away. You will love it. Most younger people (and a few of us older ones) do.
    You will get a real feel for what the people in Buffalo are like.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Quote Originally Posted by Edisonic
    I forgot this:

Q: Whats the word?
    A: Thunderbird!
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Do you have to drink it on a fire escape?
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by buffy
    you absolutely need warm, waterproof winter boots, a parka, gloves & hat - winter survival gear -

while you're here, you have to go tubing or sledding!
    http://www.kissing-bridge.com/index....d=20&Itemid=24
    More than likely, the college has a Ski Club you can join. Snowboarding seems to be quite popular in your age group, but you can do that too. My son loves it. Don't worry .. the ski resorts give lessons too

Quote Originally Posted by kcr
    Well I have also heard a lot of stories about Buffalo that had me a bit concerned. It ranged from frequent random shooting from gangs to a high organized crime (mafia) area. I was also told if stay out of areas I don't belong I will be just fine. I haven't been to Buffalo yet; I am coming up for a visit this coming week and will be coming up to attend UB starting in the fall. This thread among others on the site really makes me feel pretty good about my decision to come up. Basically Buffalo sounds like any big city, USA. Now my only concern is surviving the winter. It never snows here. Thanks for all the valuable information.
    UB's a good school, kcr, and you can go almost everywhere inside in the winter. And yes, there is a good ski club at UB. I just graduated from UB so if you need someone to show you around, I'd be more than happy to help. I'd like to think that I've learned a thing or two about UB and Buffalo in my time here.
    Remain calm!! But run for your lives if necessary!

Thumbs up

Consider this, about winters in Western New York & the north in general: We get our mail 6 days a week. The mailmen ('carriers', now) are outside for 5-8 hours every day, and they survive. In fact, having done it myself, I can say that being outside all day in the winter makes you HEALTHIER - I never had even a minor cold.

Consider this, about winters in Western New York & the north in general: We get our mail 6 days a week. The mailmen ('carriers', now) are outside for 5-8 hours every day, and they survive. In fact, having done it myself, I can say that being outside all day in the winter makes you HEALTHIER - I never had even a minor cold.

Colds and the flu are caused by viruses...not cold temperatures.

Your limited contact with other humans probably had more to do with your constant health.

Cold temperatures don't cause colds? A virus, you say? Gosh, thanks for that news flash. We never would have known, without your scientific insight.

Being outside in winter, getting exercise and breathing fresh air (what we call "air" now, anyway) is still more healthy than hiding inside with the dry air and dust and the dreaded human contact. The same goes for summer - better to get out & away from constant air conditioning.

Cold temperatures don't cause colds? A virus, you say? Gosh, thanks for that news flash. We never would have known, without your scientific insight.
    Yeah, who would've ever thought you were implying being outside was what prevented you from contracting colds from this...

I see your and raise you

I was on Grant street the other week to pick up some flyers for an upencoming lowrider show and there was a crack house right next to the shop.

However I was surprised at one thing though, the west side seems pretty racially mixed.

What'd have a sign over the porch: "Crack House"?

It's easy to spot a crack house on Grant Street, because most of them ARE...

The racially mixed aspect is "the extremely poor of every color", along Grant ... unfortunately.
    Last edited by Edisonic; July 5th, 2006 at 08:12 PM.

Im from Niagara Falls, I know what a crackhouse looks like

Dubious credentials; evasive reply

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information