By now I'm sure that everyone is familiar with the mass murder in Indy. I am going to take the, I will imagine,unpopular position of questioning some of the tactics that the Indianapolis police took to pursue the suspect.

From a published report in the Louisville, KY Courier-Journal.....

Law enforcement officers had kept up steady pressure on the city's Near Eastside in search of Turner, storming a house Saturday morning, stopping cars and patting down pedestrians in a concerted drive to find Turner.

Officers dressed in black uniforms fired tear gas, then entered a home in the 2000 block of Bosart Avenue about 10 a.m., but did not find Turner -- a man they described as desperate and dangerous.

Patting down pedestrians? Did they think that someone was secreting a 6 ft plus tall black man in their shirt pocket?

The cost of that bloodshed came home to Latoya Broadus Saturday morning when police stormed her home.

"They deliberately messed up my house," Latoya Broadus said. "My house is a disaster and we have nothing."

Police took Broadus, 26, her two brothers and 5-year-old nephew out of the home about 7 a.m. They were detained in squad cars while SWAT officers entered her home on a tip that Turner was inside.

Broadus said she has never met Turner. The house stinks of tear gas, windows are broken and she said walls and furniture were also damaged. The city is not offering her family any help cleaning up.

For police, this is the second home in two days that they swept for Turner. Police have saturated Eastside neighborhoods where Turner is believed to have friends who might help him hide.

That's a tactic police use, experts say, when witnesses are reluctant to come forward. Police blanket an area and make it very difficult for drug dealers, prostitutes and others to conduct illegal activity until someone talks.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...EWS02/60603024

Another report quoted a police source as saying that the police were making it "constitutionally miserable" for anyone who knew the suspect.

I guess after a steady diet of NYPD blue, we as a nation have come to accept the summary deprivation of our civil rights as a normal state of affairs and a sound beating as an efficent and just way to conduct an interrogation.

Until it happens to you.