Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Television and Paper News Media

Television and Paper News Media

OK, here's one thing that I noticed about Buffalo News agencies, as well as other local news agencies.

Why is it that the really important stories get left out or pushed to the back, and the non-important stories make the headlines????

For example, the first 10 minutes of Channel 4 Buffalo News was a gigantic group of stories about the Sabres, then at the end there was a 20 second bit about a homicide??? WTF???

Any one with a brain in their head can tell you that a homicide is a little more important than a hockey game!

You're mistaking "Local News" programs for actual News. They're not news, their fluffy feel-good infotainment.

This is not unique to Buffalo. All cities have the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    You're mistaking "Local News" programs for actual News. They're not news, their fluffy feel-good infotainment.

This is not unique to Buffalo. All cities have the same thing.

....oh

Look at it this way: Doofy nitwits produce the news for other doofy nitwits. Intelligence counts for nothing. Doofs WANT to hear about dat dere hockey, and doofy news obliges them. After all, there are homicides all the time, but da sabres make it into the final whatchamacallits only rarely !

I handle this situation by avoiding TV news. Once Irv retired, fires and stabbings were no fun to watch.

I think getting local news online is a little better because you can ignore all the fluff and just click on the real news. And you can quickly go thru all the networks sites, radio, and weblogs. It's like if you put all of them together and take out the fluff, then you can get the full picture.

Journalistic integrity died in Buffalo along time ago. Particularly in The Print Media. The Buffalo News is a cheap populist rag that promotes it's own local agenda that is primarily concerned with featering the nest of a few elitist rich bastards that will do anything including holding this city back just to increase their wealth.
    It is liberal on national issues and conservative and anti labor on local issues. It is actually a diservice to the general working population that that rag is even published.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Quote Originally Posted by Edisonic
    Look at it this way: Doofy nitwits produce the news for other doofy nitwits. Intelligence counts for nothing. Doofs WANT to hear about dat dere hockey, and doofy news obliges them. After all, there are homicides all the time, but da sabres make it into the final whatchamacallits only rarely !

I handle this situation by avoiding TV news. Once Irv retired, fires and stabbings were no fun to watch.
    ROTFL! That was funny...

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    I think getting local news online is a little better because you can ignore all the fluff and just click on the real news. And you can quickly go thru all the networks sites, radio, and weblogs. It's like if you put all of them together and take out the fluff, then you can get the full picture.
    Good Point

Quote Originally Posted by citymouse
    Journalistic integrity died in Buffalo along time ago. Particularly in The Print Media. The Buffalo News is a cheap populist rag that promotes it's own local agenda that is primarily concerned with featering the nest of a few elitist rich bastards that will do anything including holding this city back just to increase their wealth.
    It is liberal on national issues and conservative and anti labor on local issues. It is actually a diservice to the general working population that that rag is even published.

... That's what we say about the Gazette

Quote Originally Posted by citymouse
    How can it be a populist rag but be devoted to the rich elite?

At any rate, what you're saying about The News is what people say about all newspapers. If you're pro-union, your newspaper is anti-union. If you're anti-union, your newspaper is pro-union.

If you're conservative, the paper is a liberal rag (that's something I hear a lot). If you're liberal, well, you expressed your feelings very well.

And let's not forget, your local paper only publishes "bad" news, never good news. Or it spends to much time on fluffy feel-good news and ignores serious news.......

By the way, the reason the Sabres are getting so much front-page coverage is because that is what readers here want to read right now!

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    How can it be a populist rag but be devoted to the rich elite?

At any rate, what you're saying about The News is what people say about all newspapers. If you're pro-union, your newspaper is anti-union. If you're anti-union, your newspaper is pro-union.

If you're conservative, the paper is a liberal rag (that's something I hear a lot). If you're liberal, well, you expressed your feelings very well.

And let's not forget, your local paper only publishes "bad" news, never good news. Or it spends to much time on fluffy feel-good news and ignores serious news.......

By the way, the reason the Sabres are getting so much front-page coverage is because that is what readers here want to read right now!
    Our paper does the Fluffy good news, not the serious news

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    OK, here's one thing that I noticed about Buffalo News agencies, as well as other local news agencies.

Why is it that the really important stories get left out or pushed to the back, and the non-important stories make the headlines????

For example, the first 10 minutes of Channel 4 Buffalo News was a gigantic group of stories about the Sabres, then at the end there was a 20 second bit about a homicide??? WTF???

Any one with a brain in their head can tell you that a homicide is a little more important than a hockey game!
    You're overrating homicides. The hockey game is more relevant to more people. So someone got shot on the east side. Okay. What do you want me to do about it? Didn't know the perp or the vitim. Don't care.
    Everyone dies but not everyone wins the Cup.
    Actually the weather is the most relevant part of the news and is the only thing you'll hear that will really have an effect on you. News concerning local politicians is useless unless you plan to affect change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    Our paper does the Fluffy good news, not the serious news
    It seems on the fluffy side to me too, but it also does serious news. It's primarily a local paper, but The News still includes coverage of international news, like the war in Iraq, developments in Iran and all that stuff. It's a tough balance.

Quote of the Week!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenco
    Actually the weather is the most relevant part of the news and is the only thing you'll hear that will really have an effect on you.
    And, ironically, it's usually wrong! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenco
    You're overrating homicides. The hockey game is more relevant to more people. So someone got shot on the east side. Okay. What do you want me to do about it? Didn't know the perp or the vitim. Don't care.
    Actually the weather is the most relevant part of the news and is the only thing you'll hear that will really have an effect on you. News concerning local politicians is useless unless you plan to affect change.
    I knew those guys were gonna lose, Buffalo hasnt won anything, in YEARS...

Thats why I really dont care about sports...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information