Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Haxton Declares War on Lackawanna City Hall Corruption!

Post Which brings us up to last nights' Lackawanna City Council Meeting...

September 19, 2011
    Lackawanna City Council Meeting last night......

Comm. of Public Works – requests Council award contract for rehabilitation of Fire Houses #1 and #2 to Kirst Construction for the bid of $526,000.
    Vote 5-0 Yes.

Now this is a VERY good thing and I know it is coming out of The Bond!

Post Here WE go!

$ 5,000,000 Bond -

Phase I Street resurfacing: $ 1,686,650
    Street Light Project: $ 616,435 (any grant money?)
    Fire Stations 1 and 2: $ 526,000
    Fire Station 3 (So Park): $ 374,764.50
    Ridge Rd paving from Bridge to So. Park $ 687,026.00 ( Federal Money?)

1. What was OUR $ 6,000,000 Fund Balance (savings acct.)spent on in the past two years? Last night I pulled it out of the Comptroller who said we have appr. $2,75 mil left......Truth?
    2. NO money for some streets in First Ward at all?
    3. City Hall falling down as I type this....I asked last night-NO Money put in or available to fix anything else
    4. You can do the math.......
    5. Sorry for all the long posts.....if I am wrong in questioning anything about where the Bond money is going....please let me know.
    6. Debt to Income ratio as we all know is a serious matter....remember, the former Bethlehem Steel property assessment is now down to $10 mil
    7. They should have been aggressively marketing the Martin Rd. Housing sub-division AND other Businesses into Lackawanna to broaden OUR tax base.
    8. Let's keep this real, folks!

Post And........!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:01 PM

Message body

................... the project budget as submitted by the City of Lackawanna last fall, 2010.

Estimated cost:$762,966 (street:$568,275 / curb & sw:$194,691)

Engineering-$150,000 CHIPS/NYS funds

Construction-$200,000 federal CD funding; $53,006 CHIPS/NYS funds; $359,960 in federal SAFTEA-LU(transportation enhancements)

So WHY $ 5 mil?
    Road re-surfacing And Fire Stations repair/remodel...........again, WHY was a $ 5,000,000 Bond " floated " to increase our Debt Load. Federal ---State---and County monies are going to pay for some of the Ridge Road project!
    Why not $3 mil-----but actually reme,ber they had a $ 6mil " Fund Balance " to pay cash to pave Ridge Road just two years ago!
    Now we have an appr. $ 2.75 mil Fund Balance according to the City of Lackawanna retired part-time Comptroller just last Monday.
    What was the money spent on.......and WHO OK'ed it?

Consolidated Local Street and Highway Improvement Program (CHIPS)

HISTORY

The Consolidated Local Street and Highway Improvement Program (CHIPS) was established by the Legislature in 1981. The applicable rules for the Program are contained in Section 10-c of the State Highway Law. Apportionments to municipalities are calculated annually by NYSDOT according to formulas specified in this section of the Law.

Between State Fiscal Year (SFY) 82-83 and 90-91 (April 1, 1982 - March 31, 1991) all CHIPS funds were distributed on a direct grant quarterly allocation basis. In 1991, State Legislation restructured CHIPS into two separate and distinct components. One was the Operation and Maintenance (O&M) direct grant component, funded from the State's General Fund, and the other was the Capital reimbursement component, funded from the sale of New York State Thruway Authority bonds.

While no CHIPS O&M funding has been included since the SFY 01-02 State Budget, the Legislature "converted" these funds into additional CHIPS Capital funds that have been appropriated since SFY 02-03.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OBJECTIVE

To assist localities in financing the construction, reconstruction, or improvement of local highways, bridges, highway-railroad crossings, and/or other local facilities in accordance with Section 4,Part C of Chapter 84 of the Laws of 2002 and Sections 2-6, Part A of Chapter 60 of the Laws of 2011.

Post Typical Lackawanna.....

I am soooo glad we are finally getting Ridge Road paved.......BUT other communities start BIG projects such as this in the spring. Here it is October. Go figure.

I thought there was certain regs for pouring concrete and asphalt due to inclement weather. I remember TVGA, Lackawanna's consulting engineer firm ($$$$$),
    tell me they really don't want to "pour" after the middle of September. Am I mistaken?
    Remember:
    WE had the money 2 years ago to pay cash to pave Ridge Road and it would have been nice and smooth for some time now.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
    Monday, March 2, 2009

Regular session of the Lackawanna City Council met in the Council Chambers, Council President Charles Jaworski presiding. The meeting was preceded by the Pledge of Allegiance led by Council President Jaworski.
    Roll Call: Present: Haxton, Szymanski, Kulczyk, Schiavi, Jaworski
    Dept Heads Present: Law, Public Works, Public Safety, Recreation

Communications from Department/Division Heads:

Create Line Item "Transfer to Capital Funds"

Advises Council that in order to use a portion of the City's fund balance to pay for street resurfacing projects and not sell a bond that would generate interest and bond attorney costs, it will be necessary for the Council to amend the current budget and create a new line item, “Transfer to Capital funds.”

ROBERT MARCINIAK, COMPTROLLER
    Moved by Jaworski, seconded by Szymanski, receive and file, act upon ordinance.

Yeas: Haxton, Szymanski, Kulczyk, Schiavi, Jaworski Carried 5 – 0
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Did they plan on waiting two more years so it is done in an election year? Just so they could pound on their chests and bellow, " Look what "I" have done for you little people"!!!........Vote for ME---I can hoodwink you because I know how to double talk you and pretend to get things done by blaming the other guy for holding things up! " Your turn----I took the heat last time "
    It is too bad some folks buy into their poli-tricking, buck-passing, butt-kissing, cutesy---I'll get back to you, call me.........BS!

Obviously, they spent the City of Lackawanna Fund Balance on something else and had no more CASH left to pay for Ridge Road paving project-hence the new $ 5,000,000 Bond debt load.

What did you spend $3.25 million Fund Balance on in the last two years, fellas?
    There is something rotten in Lackawanna folks..........AND, Inquiring minds want to know!

As to your question of why they didn't pave the road 2 years ago.... If they would have the voters would have forgotten all about the "gift". Now just before election they're going to town feverishly trying to finish in time for the Nov 8th fiasco called voting. And then they can say "look what I've done for our fair city."

Post This is the kind of Corruption that HAS TO COME TO AN END!

Editorial Page » Buffalo News editorials

Tempest in Lackawanna

Mayor shouldn’t automatically get job as head of the city’s Housing Authority
    News Editorial Board

Published:October 10, 2011, 12:00 AM

Tone-deaf politicians are always with us, but the Lackawanna mayor’s recent interest in being appointed executive director of the Lackawanna Municipal Housing Authority raises that to a new level.

Mayor Norman L. Polanski Jr.’s term ends in December and he has said he’d like the $82,000-a-year Housing Authority job, which would be a huge increase from his $56,106 salary as mayor. And because Polanski appointed five of the seven members of the authority’s board of commissioners, he may get it.

Before he can be appointed, however, the board needs a waiver from the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development. The commissioners voted 4-1 to seek that waiver.

HUD’s ethics policy prohibits housing authorities from hiring public and elected officials who exercise functions or responsibilities with respect to the Housing Authority during the tenure of the official or for up to one year after the tenure is completed. A HUD waiver would allow the board to consider hiring Polanski as soon as his term ends in December.

Polanski would be following in the footsteps of previous mayors—Thomas E. Radich and Kathleeen M. Staniszewski —who have been appointed to head the Housing Authority.

George W. Halsey III, a former First Ward councilman, says its just politics as usual, telling Polanski: “You appointed everybody; now they’re going to appoint you executive director.”

Polanski says he is well-qualified for the job, with his extensive background in dealing with maintenance crews and the budgetary issues as mayor. That may be true, but it misses the point. The Housing Authority should conduct a wide-ranging, transparent search for the best candidate. Without that, there will always be whispers of political maneuvering.

Polanski has made it clear that he can return to the Department of Corrections, where he is on leave from his plumbing job at Collins Correctional Facility. And he’s still considering a run for the Assembly, although the law doesn’t allow him to mount a campaign if he’s in the Housing Authority post.

We hope he chooses one of his other options.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thanks Buffalo News! You get it along with thousands of us who stand AGAINST greed and nepotism! Enough is enough and the people want this to STOP!
    TAKE-TAKE-TAKE, what has he or any of them really given back to OUR City or Schools?

How about the Martin Road Housing Development Sub-division where $$millions of hidden tax money is tied up in EMPTY LOTS for 4 longgggg years now??!!?? Qualified--HA!
    How about the purchase of the land behind his house that the Council sold to him in 2006 but he did NOT close on for about 3 longggg years later! Yes, he knows Real Estate all right, I'll give him that............he is always down in the Assessor's Office seeing who can they squeeze out and belly-up to next!

Post Correction:

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    Editorial Page » Buffalo News editorials

Tempest in Lackawanna

Mayor shouldn’t automatically get job as head of the city’s Housing Authority
    News Editorial Board

Published:October 10, 2011, 12:00 AM

Tone-deaf politicians are always with us, but the Lackawanna mayor’s recent interest in being appointed executive director of the Lackawanna Municipal Housing Authority raises that to a new level.

Mayor Norman L. Polanski Jr.’s term ends in December and he has said he’d like the $82,000-a-year Housing Authority job, which would be a huge increase from his $56,106 salary as mayor. And because Polanski appointed five of the seven members of the authority’s board of commissioners, he may get it.

Before he can be appointed, however, the board needs a waiver from the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development. The commissioners voted 4-1 to seek that waiver.

HUD’s ethics policy prohibits housing authorities from hiring public and elected officials who exercise functions or responsibilities with respect to the Housing Authority during the tenure of the official or for up to one year after the tenure is completed. A HUD waiver would allow the board to consider hiring Polanski as soon as his term ends in December.

Polanski would be following in the footsteps of previous mayors—Thomas E. Radich and Kathleeen M. Staniszewski —who have been appointed to head the Housing Authority.

George W. Halsey III, a former First Ward councilman, says its just politics as usual, telling Polanski: “You appointed everybody; now they’re going to appoint you executive director.”

Polanski says he is well-qualified for the job, with his extensive background in dealing with maintenance crews and the budgetary issues as mayor. That may be true, but it misses the point. The Housing Authority should conduct a wide-ranging, transparent search for the best candidate. Without that, there will always be whispers of political maneuvering.

Polanski has made it clear that he can return to the Department of Corrections, where he is on leave from his plumbing job at Collins Correctional Facility. And he’s still considering a run for the Assembly, although the law doesn’t allow him to mount a campaign if he’s in the Housing Authority post.

We hope he chooses one of his other options.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thanks Buffalo News! You get it along with thousands of us who stand AGAINST greed and nepotism! Enough is enough and the people want this to STOP!
    TAKE-TAKE-TAKE, what has he or any of them really given back to OUR City or Schools?

How about the Martin Road Housing Development Sub-division where $$millions of hidden tax money is tied up in EMPTY LOTS for 4 longgggg years now??!!?? Qualified--HA!
    How about the purchase of the land behind his house that the Council sold to him in 2006 but he did NOT close on for about 3 longggg years later! Yes, he knows Real Estate all right, I'll give him that............he is always down in the Assessor's Office seeing who can they squeeze out and belly-up to next!

CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

JULY 17, 2006 REGULAR MEETING/JULY 28,2006 SPECIAL MEETING

Sale of Property – Therese Polanski

To: City Council

My office has recommended the sale:

Moved by Jaworski, seconded by Schiavi, to approve sale. received an offer from Therese Polanski to purchase a parcel of land adjacent to their property approximately 40 X 54. It is my recommendation that this parcel be sold for $2800 plus cost of survey and any closing fees incurred by the Law Department.

FRANK KRAKOWSKI, ASSESSOR

Yeas: Haxton, Szymanski, Jaworski, Schiavi, Spadone. Carried 5-0

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

My correction:
    Vacant Land Deed Filed with Erie County for 303 Martin Road Lackawanna on, 5/30 2008 Not 09'. Sorry. The City still lost out on two years of tax dollars, WHY? And do not get me wrong, I didn't care about them buying the land to make their own yard bigger---it is the way they go about it. I figure they owe the City appr. $500.00 or so.

P.S. I also found it strange that the wifey bought the extra land and BOTH of them.........????????

Post Some Poli-Tricks and downright crime for Thought........

If an outfit wins a City Bid for something..........and then this same outfit is seen doing jobs at a City employees house.......What do you think?

And then there is that scraping of Friendship House property Labor Day weekend 08'. Where did the money go...............and WHO gave them the key to get in?

How about the out of court settlements that the Council should vote on# We Are talking BIG Money here folks, BIG BIG BIG Money! Just like in the Schools, they think it is cheaper to pay someone off out of court then go to court# Except for Sorrento and LCDC.............BIG Money folks, BIG BIG BIG Money! The money spent could have been put into the streets/sidewalks instead of leaving us with that $5million extra debt load!

You see, the Szymanski-Pirowski Team = the same ole' same' ole' #you know all the same na#es that have batted around the political arena for years# type of back room/bar room poli-tricks# Show us how the future of Lackawanna government could be any different with all the same team members# I know lots of favors are owed###why when I first got on the Council I know from way back that every Council person was given a "BINGO Inspector position# Geoff had already promised "2" positions to different people in the Second Ward way before he got elected! The Boys purposely left the First Ward out thinking I did not know how this worked..................I was appauled and had to argue with them to let the First Ward have one of those appointments# Remember Geoff?
    January 17, 2006 Lackawanna City Council Minutes
    Bingo Inspectors

It is in the Archives.......
    Well we got our appointment and a Senior from the Baker Homes who plays Bingo, got the $1200/yr Bingo Inspector position. As soon as I lost my re-election bid Mr. Noman appointed an Arabic woman, as was his choice.

Post Do you REALLY think things will CHANGE in Lackawanna with this Team?

What has changed in Lackawanna over the past decade? The players? The street-scape? The What?
    If the new " Team Szymanski " gets elected, do you think you will see BIG changes in Lackawanna?
    Do you really think the new "Team" has some state of the art plans or vision for a better Lackawanna? Did I miss a flyer?
    Or will it be just another change up of the quarterback and goalie in Lackawanna City Hall!
    I have heard none of them complaining about the state of the City or the Lackawanna Budget! Why not? It is because none of the team members want to step on the toes of their teammates.......status quo---hush, let's go have a drink---and, pass the buck. OR, maybe they just don't know the way the Budget, etc. works at all---.
    Oh, how I wish I could debate them!
    If I was not telling the truth about their mis-management of public funds, then why did they come after me so hard to make me go away? They hated me questioning them and telling you what went/goes on!
    I did not give Lackawanna the dirty politics reputation it has.........listen to the pulse of the people and the truth rings loud and clear!
    I tried to bring new ideas to the table but I kept getting bullied down, as you all know. The Buffalo News in 2006 quoted one of my peers as saying "Tax Deadbeats" should be barred from City Hall back when he had two government jobs and was behind in his own tax bills. They cover up the truth when it comes to their own personal problems and credentials. BTW: What credentials do you think the general public would like to see a candidate for City Hall possess?
    The Executive and Legislative branches are supposed to be separate arms of the governmental triangle......I mentioned this before, if they are this tight of a team pre-election----can you imagine how tight they will be post? Who will arbitrarily represent "the people"...Code Enforcement?

Post Game Day is around the corner....hup two......Time to use OUR "Secret Play"!

I can see it now......if the Team Syzmanski/Pirowski wins........

The old regime will shuffle out and roll on down Ridge Road to get to their martini and their spot at the bar; while the new regime' swaggers by with a failed high-figh pass to them as they stumble onto the crumbling steps of the Orange City Hall! For their Christmas Party they will all file rank as they toast each other for their BIG win against us little people .........and wake up on New Years day to pencil in whoever worked the hardest for the Party for the other patronage........and I am not talking Bingo!

Sadly, the jobs.....promises of jobs.......deals and promotions are what Lackawanna Democratic Committee Persons and the "connected people" will vote for on November 8th!

Others of us who know you must vote the person NOT the party, are voting OUT the broken promises, connected people, and lack of vision that has caused the rust in OUR Steel City!
    Out with the good ole' boy , "what's in it for me attitude", and I know this about you so you better not squeal on me or I'll tell on you too cry babies! The stories I have heard about so much unfairness would make you sick, we have Nazi gestapos, not Democrats in charge!
    Yes, out with the old style...... and in with the new style of the "woman who is out there" willing to take chances, and who is relentless when it comes to getting OUR goals accomplished for a cleaner-better Lackawanna !
    Not rocket science, just elbow grease and common sense! Vote for me on November 8, Then I can retire knowing Lackawanna is finally going to come into its' own !

Friendship House Scrap? I know for a fact there wasn't an ounce of scrap left in the Friendship House! And I think you know who gutted that place long before the city went in there! So don't accuse Norm of taking anything of value out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahblah View Post
    Friendship House Scrap? I know for a fact there wasn't an ounce of scrap left in the Friendship House! And I think you know who gutted that place long before the city went in there! So don't accuse Norm of taking anything of value out of there.

fill us in on who gutted it! don't hold back now.

Post Please do........

Quote Originally Posted by had enough yet View Post
    fill us in on who gutted it! don't hold back now.

Yes, blahblah, tell us why you definitely know who was NOT involved............! Don't hold back now.
    From my end, half of the First Ward saw the dumpster and loaded trucks over there..........if it was up and up.....why were they working Sat., Sun., and Mon. Labor Day Holiday weekend.......they didn't break in either, it had been locked up----who gave them the key?

Post The BIGGIE!

The City of Lackawanna CHARTER mandates:
    the City for and with respect to such matter.

§6.4 City Attorney; powers and duties
    The City Attorney, subject to the Charter, shall:

A.
    Serve as attorney and counselor for the City and its several departments;
    B.
    Conduct appeals from orders, decisions or judgments affecting any interest of the City, as he or she may in his or her discretion determine to be necessary or desirable, or as directed by the Mayor and Council;
    C.

Subject to the approval of Council, have power to enter into any agreement, compromise or settlement of any litigation in which the City is involved;

D.
    Render opinions in writing upon any question of law submitted to him or her by the Mayor, the Council, or the head of any department, with respect to their official powers and duties;
    E.
    Maintain a record of all actions, suits, proceedings and matters which relate to the City's interest, and report thereon from time to time as the Council may require;
    F.
    Have such other different functions, powers and duties as may be provided by local law or ordinance.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ***********************

The BIGGIE:
    First,
    I ask for everyone and any one's opinion of what letter "C." means to you. I realize we are not lawyers but the Lackawanna Charter is what it is, The Charter aka OUR Local LAWS aka the BIG enchilada.

FYI:
    What is a charter?

A city charter is a unique document that, in many ways, acts like a constitution for the city adopting it. It can only be adopted, amended or repealed by a majority vote of a city's voters. The primary advantage of a charter is that it allows greater authority for a city’s governance than that provided by state law. For example, a city may tailor its organization and elective offices, taking into account the unique local conditions and needs of the community.

A charter transfers the power to adopt legislation affecting municipal affairs from the state legislature to the city adopting it. A city operating under a charter can acquire full control over its municipal affairs. These affairs are unaffected by the general laws passed by the state legislature on the same subject matters. This, in effect, gives the local voters more control over their local government and the affairs of the city. However, a city operating under a charter is still subject to the general laws, as passed by the state legislature, on affairs that are not municipal in nature, and are of statewide concern (e.g., California Vehicle Code).

Andrea, I believe Item C means that the city attorney with the approval of the council has the right to settle any lawsuit outside of the court. There could be various reasons why they would want to settle out of court.

1. They know they are wrong and can't win the case.
    2. The information tesified to at a trial would be an embarassment to the administration.
    3. A trial may cost more than the case is worth.
    4. The members of the administration could be held responsible for the court decision.
    5. Last but not least a jury may award a huge sum of money.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread Information