Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Haxton Declares War on Lackawanna City Hall Corruption!

Post " Unappropriated " Fund Balance is thir Slush Fund

Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post
    Ummm. Where did they get the money to reinstate all the budget cuts? Lol Cash flow problems really? Talk about incompetence.
    Probably from the 3 1/2 million Unappropriated Fund Balance, BUT.......
    The Comptroller said $300,000 was used to decrease the TAX LEVY last year budget AND $1,000,000 to decrease the TAX LEVY this year. So......

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    Probably from the 3 1/2 million Unappropriated Fund Balance, BUT.......
    The Comptroller said $300,000 was used to decrease the TAX LEVY last year budget AND $1,000,000 to decrease the TAX LEVY this year. So......
    LOL Gotta have money to pay the streets at election time! What a crock.

Post What Gives?

I just do not undersand why more Citizens in the City of Lackawanna are not outraged about the "lack" in Lackawanna due to patronage!

Todays' Buffalo News ststes that OUR NYS deficit hs climbed to $1 Billion! Wow! What gives?
    Towns, especially Hamburg people are mobilized against spendng of public funds----what gives in Lackawanna?

Are tere that many people related, working for, or afraid of " the machine " in our little LA? I can't wait for te new Census 2010 to come out---do you think we grew, or......what?
    They told me that the Martin Road sub-division would bring in many new young families--- over 2 years ago.

The city grew by 200 sheep!

Yes that is right, 200 sheep and a few pigs, LOL!!

Post Out With The Old and In With The New!

If other municipalities can protect tax monies closely, why can't "Lack"awanna?.......

Buffalo News:Updated: January 6, 2011, 6:51 AM
    Blasdell Village Board:In other matters, the board agreed to freeze all expenditures for the remainder of the fiscal year. The mayor said the practice is standard for the village as it closes in on the final months of its budget year. He said that emergency spending will be allowed but that expenses exceeding $300 need board approval.

The Hamburg Sun today Jan. 6, 2011:
    "Assessor told to attend meetings",
    "A town of Eden official who has been absent from the Town Board meetings will be required to attend them from now on." "The board approved a motion mandating Pietrocarlo, head assessor, to attend ......"

I don't know if a change should be made to make the Lackawanna Assessor come to Council meetings, BUT.......
    The Charter mandates ALL Department Heads to attend All monthly meetings.
    We do not have a Dir. of Finance, we have a RETIRED Part-Time Comptroller who shows up at meetings at his leisure. The same goes for the RETIRED, all still working now for $30,000/yr., Part-Time Com. of Public Works and City Clerk.
    I suppose because they are part-time and the finance fellow is not wearing the job title that this gives them their own greater discretion to come and go as they want. Would anyone get away with this in the private sector?

Their actions are in direct violation of our own City laws and the Council refuses to take any action to reprimand their "family and friends" members for breaking the law.
    I have asked for their help to make a motion to mandate them all to attend ALL Council meetings for many, many years, but the Council members ALL refuse to come in compliance. They too are breaking our own City laws that OUR Fore-Fathers enacted to protect OUR City from their neglect of duties and theft of public services.
    Shame.

I always thought this was hilarious since Mayor Polanski ran as a "FULL TIME" mayor and belittled former Mayor Kuryak for suggesting that the Mayor be part time. Then Polanski goes out and makes all the other important jobs "PART TIME". Maybe he should've ran truthfully as a "Full Time" Mayor with a "Part Time" friends and family staff/cabinet. By the way Norm your "Part Time" cabinet is a dismal failure. Just drive around the city and see for yourself how bad streets ,playgrounds and infrastructure are it shows! Or go to a council meeting and see what kind of answers you get from the "part time" comptroller.
    Last edited by mnb811; January 6th, 2011 at 02:51 PM.

Post Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post
    I always thought this was hilarious since Mayor Polanski ran as a "FULL TIME" mayor and belittled former Mayor Kuryak for suggesting that the Mayor be part time. Then Polanski goes out and makes all the other important jobs "PART TIME". Maybe he should've ran truthfully as a "Full Time" Mayor with a "Part Time" friends and family staff/cabinet. By the way Norm your "Part Time" cabinet is a dismal failure. Just drive around the city and see for yourself how bad streets ,playgrounds and infrastructure are it shows! Or go to a council meeting and see what kind of answers you get from the "part time" comptroller.

He also ran on the platform of "No phone call goes unanswered!", along with the full-time Mayor BS, nothing more. All of his tiny made-up platform was engineered through "the party", and the family and friends club were all driven to the polls and the rest ............$$$! Exactly what are/were Norman Polanski's credentials?

You are spot-on when you stated, "dismal failure", sadly, OUR City has never looked so bleak. Demolition is their only claim to fame but they have no street-scape sense or plans to really revitalize "Lack"awanna. I don't even think they know how to spell the words "market" and "forecast".
    What an insult to OUR City and Citizens this past decade of King Normans' Family and Friends Club FIRST, have been to the rest of us little peasants (I mean no disrespect to anyone, just a figure of speach).
    If they only spent the time working on revitalizing Lackawanna, instead of their own self-serving agendas, we could catch up to 2010---instead of being stuck in 1965!

ALL our surrounding communities are constantly on the move through re-building, re-modeling, and re-thinking what they have done and what they want to have done in their town.
    Sadly, all our boys think about is how they can get Uncle whoever's kid "in" and how they can get into the schools or LMHA after they retire from the City.
    I bet they hate it that they have to fit "The People" in their workday somewhere and do some real work!

(I know there are people who hate the poli-tricks and schleppers who use the family and friends club, I do not include YOU in the mix---I am very aware some earn their paycheck and do a fine job helping OUR City. Thank You.)

Post Interesting Reading......

Corruption in local governmentFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Contents
    1 Types of Corruption Found in Local Government
    2 Demographic factors Causing Corruption
    2.1 Religion
    2.2 Race & Class
    2.3 Size of a Municipality
    2.4 Condition of the Local Economy
    2.5 Education
    2.6 Political Culture of the Municipality
    2.7 Gender
    3 Corruption Perceptions Index
    4 Ways to Stop and Prevent Corruption in Local Governments
    5 Links and References
    5.1 Academic References
    5.2 Web References

Types of Corruption Found in Local GovernmentThere are several types of political corruption that occur in local government. Some are more common than others, and some are more prevalent to local governments than to larger segments of government. Local governments may be more susceptible to corruption because interactions between private individuals and officials happen at greater levels of intimacy and with more frequency at more decentralized levels. Forms of corruption pertaining to money like bribery, extortion, embezzlement, and graft are found in local government systems. Other forms of political corruption are nepotism and patronage systems. One historical example was the Black Horse Cavalry a group of New York state legislators accused of blackmailing corporations.

Bribery
    is the offering of something which is most often money but can also be goods or services in order to gain an unfair advantage. Common advantages can be to sway a person’s opinion, action, or decision, reduce amounts fees collected, speed up a government grants, or change outcomes of legal processes.

Extortion
    is threatening or inflicting harm to a person, their reputation, or their property in order to unjustly obtain money, actions, services, or other goods from that person. Blackmail is a form of extortion.

Embezzlement is the illegal taking or appropriation of money or property that has been entrusted to a person but is actually owned by another. In political terms this is called graft which is when a political office holder unlawfully uses public funds for personal purposes.

Nepotism is the practice or inclination to favor a group or person who is a relative when giving promotions, jobs, raises, and other benefits to employees. This is often based on the concept of familism which is believing that a person must always respect and favor family in all situations including those pertaining to politics and business. This leads some political officials to give privileges and positions of authority to relatives based on relationships and regardless of their actual abilities.

Patronage systems consist of the granting favors, contracts, or appointments to positions by a local public office holder or candidate for a political office in return for political support. Many times patronage is used to gain support and votes in elections or in passing legislation. Patronage systems disregard the formal rules of a local government and use personal instead of formalized channels to gain an advantage

Unfortunately spells.......

Post Tuesday February 22, 2011,6:30PM Lackawanna City Council Agenda Item

"Resolutions:

A resolution directing that city employees having city residences to be given first preference for promotions." Mayor just loves Directing!

Hmmmm.......Somebody must be jerking some-one's chain.....

What about Tom Love City of Lackawanna Commissioner of Public Works who lives in Hamburg NY on Clark Street? When did his OUT of Lackawanna Residence get voted on?
    Oh yeah I forgot, at Eagans' now condemned bar on Ridge and Abbott when Polanski bellied up to it......and Love bar-tended when he wasn't........

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post

"resolutions:

a resolution directing that city employees having city residences to be given first preference for promotions." mayor just loves directing!

hmmmm.......somebody must be jerking some-one's chain.....

What about tom love city of lackawanna commissioner of public works who lives in hamburg ny on clark street? When did his out of lackawanna residence get voted on?
    Oh yeah i forgot, at eagans' now condemned bar on ridge and abbott when polanski bellied up to it......and love bar-tended when he wasn't........
    i thought this blog was for constructive info.................not name calling

Quote Originally Posted by toms View Post
    i thought this blog was for constructive info.................not name calling
    Where is the name calling? You really should find a new hobby.

She's the moderater here. I guess you didn't know.

originally posted by toms
    Who died and made you king of the blog?????

Maybe he/she should pay more attention.....watch and learn

Now you see it...........now you don't

And I prefer to be QUEEN not king.
    Last edited by cath829; February 22nd, 2011 at 10:12 PM.

Post Over A Year?!!??

Communities » Lackawanna LACKAWANNA

Building on Bethlehem site shut downBy Harold McNeil
    NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Published:
    February 23, 2011, 12:00 AM

Lackawanna Council President Charles Jaworski said a potentially hazardous situation on the old Bethlehem Steel site was averted last week after a building that was constructed without the proper permits was shut down and four 1,000-gallon propane tanks were drained.

The issue was raised during the City Council’s regular business meeting Tuesday, when former 1st Ward Councilwoman Andrea Haxton requested an update on the site during the public comment portion of the meeting.

“The director of code enforcement is taking care of it,” Jaworski said.

“It’s in the hands of the Law Department right now. The tanks have been drained, as far as my knowledge, and [the city Law Department] is going after the builder of the building,” he added.

Last week, Mayor Norman Polanski Jr. confirmed the building constructed over railroad tracks was discovered Wednesday by City Code Enforcement Officer Steven Bremer and immediately shut down. In addition, four haphazardly installed propane tanks were discovered nearby.

“These tanks were put right next to each other. If one of the tanks went up, they all would have gone up,” Polanski said late last week.
    The mayor said a demolition order would be sought this week to raze the building. The tanks were drained by Noco, he added.

The former Bethlehem Steel site is owned by ArcelorMittal, which was leased to another company, according to city officials, though the city’s economic development director said officials were still attempting to pin down the name of the company that leased the property.

“Tonawanda Coke’s name is being thrown around out there,” Miranda said, after the meeting.
    “They’re hauling the coke out there. The coal and coke get brought into this building to be warmed up,” Miranda added.

Haxton on Tuesday questioned why city officials had not been aware of the building and the propane tanks earlier.

“You can’t see [the site] from the road,” Jaworski replied.

“I think you’re covering it up,” Haxton responded later.

Both Miranda and Jaworski bristled at Haxton’s suggestion.

“We secured the situation. We notified the public, and we did what we were supposed to do,” Miranda said.

hmcneil@buffnews.com
    I just don't understand how the permits and whatever else you need for "propane", got by the Lackawanna radar. I heard either Polanski or Bremer say " WE " would have ALL been blown up and they would have felt the explosion in Pennsylvania!

What IS Going On and WHEN DID "THEY" NOTIFY the Public?!?!

Schocked!

Archives for buffalo-new-york-five-firefighter-line-of-duty-deaths
    See all posts in the network tagged with buffalo-new-york-five-firefighter-line-of-duty-deaths

Buffalo Box 191 North Division & Grosvenor Streets; December 27, 1983
    December 27, 1983 Buffalo, New York Five Firefighter Line-of-Duty Deaths

As Buffalo (NY) firefighters arrived at the scene of a reported propane leak in a three-story radiator warehouse (Type III Ordinary and Type IV Heavy Timber construction), a massive explosion occurred, killing five firefighters instantly and injuring nine others, three of them critically. The force of the blast blew BFD Ladder 5′s tiller aerial 35 feet across the street into the front yard of a dwelling. BFD Engine 1′s pumper was also blown across the street with the captain and driver pinned in the cab with burning debris all around them. Engine 32′s engine was blown up against a warehouse across a side street and covered with rubble.

Two civilians were also killed and another 60 to 70 were injured. While operating at the rescue effort, another 19 firefighters were injured. The blast and ensuing fire ignited 14 residences and damaged as many as 130 buildings over a four block area. The explosion occurred when an employee was moving an illegal 500 lb. propane tank. with a forklift truck and dropped it, breaking off a valve. The gas leaked out, found an ignition source, and the explosion occurred.

At 20:23 hours, a full assignment was dispatched to North Division & Grosvenor streets. The three engines, two trucks, rescue and 3rd Battalion were responding to a report of a large propane tank leaking in a building. Engine 32 arrived and reported nothing showing, but they were talking to some workmen from the four-story, heavy-timber warehouse (approx. 50′ x 100′). Truck 5, Engine 1 and BC Supple arrived right behind E-32. Thirty-seven seconds after the chief announced his arrival, there was a tremendous explosion.

It completely leveled the four-story building. It demolished many buildings on four different blocks. It seriously damaged buildings that were over a half a mile away. The ensuing fireball started buildings burning on a number of streets. A large gothic church on the next block had a huge section ripped out of it as if a great hand carved out the middle. A ten-story housing projects a couple blocks away had every window broken and some had even more damage. Engine 32 and Truck 5′s firehouse, which was a half mile away or so, had all its windows shattered.

Killed in the line of duty were all assigned to Buffalo FD Ladder Company 5;

Firefighter Michael Austin,
    Firefighter Michael Catanzaro,
    Firefighter Matthew Colpoys,
    Firefighter James Lickfield and
    Firefighter Anthony Waszkielewicz.

You see, Michael Catanzaro was my Mother's cousin's husband and Fire House 5 at Seneca and Emslie was also my Mother's brother's Charles Colern's Fire House. He just happened to be off the night of the explosion. This tragedy affected/changed many families and haunts them still.

Propane IS a VERY BIG deal and after what happened in Buffalo, why oh why and how/who is behind this. Steve Bremer, I am glad, was in the right place at the right time, BUT........ Is there more to the Lackawanna propane danger story---and are WE safe now?
    Last edited by andreahaxton; February 23rd, 2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Not Complete

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information